Apple's "special event" is today at 1pm Eastern, so tech blogs are, of course, overflowing with predictions. What can you expect? Here's what 9to5mac and the Verge have to say:
- iPhone 5S: That's what most people are calling the new iPhone that is sure to debut. It will probably look very similar to the iPhone 5 (except there will be a new gold color option) and be priced similarly. It is expected to have a better camera (including an upgraded flash), an improved processor and battery, and possibly a fingerprint scanner in the Home button that can be used instead of a passcode to unlock the phone. This could mean the Home button looks different for the first time, possibly with a sapphire crystal covering for protection and a silver ring encircling it. As for those rumored 6-inch iPhones, they're still a ways off.
- iPhone 5C: This will be the cheaper version, and is expected to be based on the iPhone 5 internally, but with a colored plastic back. It is not expected to have any of the improvements present in the iPhone 5S, and it could cost as little as $100.
- iOS 7: The new iPhones are expected to ship with the new operating system, which was previewed in June, and an official release date should be announced today.
- iPads: We may have to wait until next month, but the iPad Mini is thought to be getting a Retina display, while the full iPad is rumored to be coming in a slimmer version.
- iPods: There probably won't be any major announcements, but minor upgrades to the iPod Nano and the iPod Touch are possible. The iPod Classic could even be retired, though that rumor has been around for awhile.
- Macs: We probably won't hear anything today—expect any announcements on this front when OS X Mavericks launches next month. But better processors are expected in MacBook Pro and iMac soon.
- Apple TV: Expect a software update.
- iWatch and iTV: Sorry, but you'll probably still be waiting for these awhile longer.
, Doug Aamoth has a slightly different, and amusing, take. A few of his predictions:
- "Apple exec Phil Schiller will be wearing a button-down shirt in the blue/gray/green/tan spectrum."
- "A video of Apple employees in front of a white background will be played. These employees will be talking soothingly about the new iPhone(s)."
- "At least a dozen superlatives will be used."
(Read more Apple