Gwyneth Paltrow's 2014 holiday gift guide is out, and it's about as ridiculous as you'd expect. E! and ETOnline both added up the total cost of all the items in it (not including those listed as "price upon request"), and E! came up with $109,384, while ET came up with $107,309.49. By Newser's count, there are 212 items in the guide not listed as "price upon request," making the average cost per item about $511. But, Gwyneth assures us on Goop, "We tried to keep as much as possible at the $100 mark, though there are some splurges on here for your nearest and dearest." (For the record, we counted at least 78 of those 212 items that cost significantly more than $100.) Some of the craziest items:
- A $550 travel backgammon set (because why would you ever settle for a $12.49 version that also includes checkers and chess?) in "Red mock Lizard Italian calf leather."
- A $4,739 juicer in bright gold, which even Gwyneth admits is "absurd, but awesome."
- A surprisingly affordable $54 pair of sequin shorts for your child aged 12 to 14, because, as Gwyneth informs us, "Everyone needs a pair of sequin shorts."
- A $12,000 vase. Yes, this is really on the list. And not even in the "In Our Dreams" section.
- A fancy candle that, at $80, manages to be priced even more ridiculously than the candles in Oprah's holiday gift guide.
Speaking of Oprah's guide, though, it really is worth checking out
. (Read more Gwyneth Paltrow