With tween girls all aflutter at the news that Zayn Malik has left One Direction, ETOnline has put together a slideshow of a dozen other popular bands that have also lost original members:
- Backstreet Boys: Kevin Richardson exited the boy band in 2006, and the other four Boys released two albums without him. In 2012, he came back for In a World Like This, the band's first independent album.
- Boyz II Men: Health issues caused Michael McCary to leave in 2003, but the remaining Boyz still tour as a threesome.
- Destiny's Child: The group first lost LaTavia Roberson and LeToya Luckett in 2000, then lost one of their replacements, Farrah Franklin, just five months after she joined. The current lineup is original members Beyonce Knowles and Kelly Rowland plus Michelle Williams.
- Spice Girls: Geri Halliwell, aka Ginger Spice, quit the girl group in 1998, and the rest continued on as a foursome until 2000. When they reunited in 2007, though, Halliwell was back.
- Van Halen: First lead singer David Lee Roth was replaced by Sammy Hagar; then Hagar left in 1996 and was replaced by Gary Cherone; then Cherone exited in 1999 and the band took a break. In 2003, Hagar returned for a Van Halen tour but left again in 2005, to be replaced by ... Roth.
- Genesis: Peter Gabriel left his lead singer slot to pursue a solo career in 1975, and was replaced by Genesis drummer Phil Collins.
Click for the complete list
. (Read more Zayn Malik