4 Dead in Home; Carbon Monoxide Leak Suspected

This time it's in Queens
By John Johnson,  Newser Staff
Posted Apr 11, 2015 6:32 AM CDT
4 Dead in Home; Carbon Monoxide Leak Suspected
Officers gather at a home where four people were found dead Friday in New York.   (AP Photo/Louis Lanzano)

(Newser) – For the second time this week, a carbon monoxide leak is being blamed for multiple deaths inside a home. This time, it happened in Queens, when a son checked up on his elderly parents to discover that they and two others in the home were dead, reports the New York Times. The victims are Jerry Hugel, 83, and his wife, Marie, 80, along with their tenant, Gloria Greco, 70, and Walter Von Thadden, 76. Police found a car idling in the connected garage and suspect that someone forgot to turn it off. They don't think foul play or suicide is a factor.

“It looks like it was an accident," a source tells the Daily News. “The windows were air-tight, so there was nowhere for the gas to go.” The Hugels raised five kids in the home, and Jerry Hugel, whose body was found near the car, celebrated his birthday last month. “Many, many thanks to all my friends remembering me for my 83rd birthday," he wrote on Facebook. "I was very thrilled and had a beer on you.” The deaths follow the discovery of the bodies of a father and seven children in their Maryland home. (Read more carbon monoxide stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X