President Trump and House Speaker Paul Ryan pulled the American Health Care Act just before a scheduled vote Friday. In their first comments to the press following the failure of the Republican health care bill, Trump blamed Democrats and Ryan admitted that Obama's Affordable Care Act isn't going anywhere any time soon. Meanwhile, House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi celebrated the victory. Here are some of the top quotes from the afternoon:
- "I will not sugarcoat it," CNBC quotes Ryan as saying. "This is a disappointing day for us."
- "We were very close," the Hill quotes Trump as saying. "We had no Democrat support, no votes from the Democrats."
- “We’re gonna be living with ObamaCare for the foreseeable future," Mediaite quotes Ryan as saying.
- "I think the losers are Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer because now they own ObamaCare," Trump says.
- "It's imploding and soon will explode and it's not going to be pretty," ABC News quotes Trump as saying about ObamaCare.
- "Today is a great day for our country," CNBC quotes Pelosi as saying.
- “Moving from an opposition party to a governing party comes with growing pains," the Washington Post quotes Ryan as saying. "We’re feeling those growing pains today."
- "I never said repeal and replace it in 64 days," Trump says.
- "Quite frankly I thought they might have accomplished something in the first few months," the AP quotes Pelosi as saying. "They have absolutely no record of accomplishment."
- "Doing big things is hard," Ryan says.
- "If they got together with us and we got a real healthcare bill, I would be totally open to it," Trump says about possibly working with Democrats on health care.
(Read more Donald Trump