X

US Warns War Games With South Korea Could Resume

Mattis says there are 'no plans at this time to suspend any more exercises'
By Arden Dier,  Newser Staff
Posted Aug 29, 2018 10:12 AM CDT
Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis speaks to reporters during a news conference at the Pentagon on Tuesday.   (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – The war games may be back on. Just two months after President Trump announced he had "indefinitely suspended" the "very provocative" military drills by the US and South Korea in a move meant to soothe North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Tuesday there are "no plans at this time to suspend any more exercises," per BuzzFeed. Reuters reports the comments come in the midst of a "breakdown in diplomacy" with North Korea over denuclearization, though Mattis denied any act of bad faith on North Korea's part.

Referring to the decision "to suspend several of the largest exercises as a good-faith measure coming out of the Singapore summit," Mattis said "we did what we did at the time for that purpose." He added there's been no decision on the next large-scale military exercise, previously set for next spring. UN Ambassador Nikki Haley was more pointed in her remarks on North Korea Tuesday. "Are [the North Koreans] wishing or maybe changing their minds on denuclearization? It's possible … but we're not changing our minds," she said, per CBS News. (Read more North Korea stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
9%
4%
3%
35%
7%
42%