Nicholas Sandmann's lawyer claimed the teen's $250 million suit filed against the Washington Post in February was "only the beginning," and it appears that wasn't an idle threat. In a Fox News interview airing Sunday at 10pm ET, attorney L. Lin Wood said the Covington Catholic High School student who was at the center of the Lincoln Memorial incident that sparked a massive controversy will next sue CNN for more than $250 million, in a lawsuit to be filed Monday or Tuesday. "CNN was probably more vicious in its direct attacks on Nicholas than the Washington Post. And CNN goes into millions of individuals' homes," Wood said on Life, Liberty & Levin, per Fox News. Wood elaborated at length. "CNN couldn't resist the idea that here's a guy with a young boy, that Make America Great Again cap on. So they go after him."
He continued: "The CNN folks were online on Twitter at 7am retweeting the little one-minute propaganda piece that had been put out. ... They're out there right away going after this young boy. And they maintain it for at least two days." The suit against the Post seeks $50 million in compensatory damages for the "reputational damage" done to Nicholas; the remaining $200 million is the amount of punitive damages sought. Wood noted that "because of the way [CNN] went after Nicholas so viciously, that the claim for his reputational damage will be higher than it was against the Washington Post." Newsweek notes that in the wake of the incident, more than 50 media outlets were sent letters from the teen's lawyers informing them they might be sued. (Trump was publicly encouraging of the suit against the Post.)