X

Trump Condemns Riot, Concedes

Says he's 'outraged' by 'heinous attack'
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jan 7, 2021 6:41 PM CST

(Newser)

Amid growing talk of trying to force him out early, President Trump acknowledged Thursday that he will peacefully leave after Congress affirmed his defeat. Trump led off a video from the White House by condemning the "heinous attack" carried out in his name a day earlier on the Capitol. Then, for the first time, he admitted that his presidency would soon end—though he declined to mention President-elect Joe Biden by name or explicitly state that he had lost. “A new administration will be inaugurated on Jan. 20,” Trump said in the video. “My focus now turns to ensuring a smooth, orderly and seamless transition of power. This moment calls for healing and reconciliation.”

story continues below

The president's video—which was released upon his return to Twitter after his account was restored—was a reversal from the one he put out just 24 hours earlier in which he said to the violent mob, “We love you. You’re very special.” His refusal to condemn the violence sparked a firestorm of criticism, and he struck a different tone on Thursday. "Like all Americans, I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem," Trump said, adding that he had "immediately" deployed the National Guard. As for his feelings on leaving office, he told the nation that “serving as your president has been the honor of my lifetime” while hinting at a return to the public arena. He told supporters “that our incredible journey is only just beginning.”

(Read more President Trump stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X