Some lyrics are just so ambiguous you have no idea what you’re singing about when you sing along. Willa Paskin lists 20 “songs that make you go, huh?” on BlackBook:
- “I Want It That Way,” Backstreet Boys: “Make up your minds dudes, is ‘that way’ a good or a bad thing? Or is it anal sex?”
- “Push It,” Salt N’ Pepa: OK, maybe this one isn’t so vague: “Yeah, the ‘it’ in this song is pretty definitively ween.”
- “Drop It Like It’s Hot,” Snoop Dogg: “There’s a number of things ‘it’ could refer to in this song: I refuse to believe any of them but poop.”
- “Whip It,” Devo: OK, so the line about whipping cream sorta makes sense, but as the song goes on it makes decidedly less sense. “Possibly we’re still talking about butter, but I doubt it.”
- “And It Stoned Me,” Van Morrison: “Van Morrison apparently said this song was about a quasi-mystical experience he had when an old dude gave him some water”…but it’s probably about actually getting stoned.
For the complete list, click here
. (Read more Backstreet Boys