Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Actress Sues Weinstein, Disney
Oct 4, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Actress Sues Weinstein, Disney
Julia Ormond files case in New York under law providing temporary window
- Julia Ormond, an actress who starred in major films in the 1990s, filed a lawsuit Wednesday accusing disgraced movie producer Harvey Weinstein of sexually assaulting her in 1995 and then hindering her career. Ormond, who also accuses the Walt Disney Co., Miramax, and her former agents of knowing Weinstein was...
Harvey Weinstein Returns
to NY Prison System
Apr 13, 2023 3:46 AM CDT
Harvey Weinstein Returns to NY Prison System
He's been transferred to medium-security facility
- Disgraced former Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein has returned to the New York prison system after spending nearly two years in California, where he was tried and convicted of raping an Italian model. Weinstein, whose December 2022 conviction in Los Angeles followed his February 2020 New York conviction on rape and...
Harvey Weinstein Is Being
Returned to New York
Mar 14, 2023 2:49 PM CDT
Harvey Weinstein Is Being Returned to New York
He won't be retried on rape, sexual assault charges in California
- Los Angeles prosecutors told a judge Tuesday that they will not retry Harvey Weinstein, who was convicted of the rape and sexual assault of one woman, on counts involving two others that left jurors deadlocked. Deputy District Attorney Paul Thompson announced the decision to Superior Court Judge Lisa B. Lench...
Feb 23, 2023 2:19 PM CST
Weinstein Tells Judge He's Innocent as Victim Sobs
Disgraced film mogul gets another 16 years in prison
- A Los Angeles judge on Thursday sentenced Harvey Weinstein to 16 years in prison after a jury convicted him of the 2013 rape and sexual assault of an Italian actor and model, per the AP . The sentence comes on top of the more than 20 years the 70-year-old Weinstein has...
Los Angeles Jury Finds
Weinstein Guilty of Rape
Dec 19, 2022 6:23 PM CST
Los Angeles Jury Finds Weinstein Guilty of Rape
Jurors can't agree on several counts, including allegations by Jennifer Siebel Newsom
- Harvey Weinstein was found guilty Monday of rape at a Los Angeles trial in another #MeToo moment of reckoning, five years after he became a magnet for the movement. After deliberating for nine days over more than two weeks, the jury of eight men and four women reached the verdict...
Jurors in 8th Day
Dec 13, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Harvey Weinstein Jurors in 8th Day of Deliberations
Los Angeles panel back at it Tuesday on accusations he sexually assaulted 4 women
- Jurors in the latest Harvey Weinstein trial will resume deliberations for an eighth day on Tuesday. The panel already has met for about 28 hours over seven days, reports CNN . Nobody is speculating whether the prolonged deliberations might be good or bad news for the disgraced movie mogul. This case...
Quentin Tarantino: 'It's Time
to Wrap Up the Show'
Nov 20, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Quentin Tarantino: 'It's Time to Wrap Up the Show'
Director, who says he'll make one more film, concedes he should've said something to Harvey Weinstein
- The first film Quentin Tarantino directed was
, in 1992. He says he doesn't know what his next film will be, but he knows it will be his last. "I've been doing it for 30 years," Tarantino said. "And it's time to wrap...
Judge Drops 4 of 11 Counts
Against Harvey Weinstein
Nov 15, 2022 7:38 PM CST
Judge Drops 4 of 11 Counts Against Harvey Weinstein
Charges involved 'Jane Doe #5'
This story has been updated with Siebel Newsom's Tuesday testimony
. The judge at the Los Angeles trial of Harvey Weinstein dropped four of the 11 sexual assault charges against the former movie mogul Tuesday after prosecutors said they would not proceed with the counts involving one of his accusers....
Gov. Newsom's Wife
Testifies in Weinstein Trial
Nov 15, 2022 12:09 AM CST
Gov. Newsom's Wife Testifies in Weinstein Trial
Jennifer Siebel Newsom gives graphic account of alleged rape
- Jennifer Siebel Newsom, a documentary filmmaker and the wife of California Gov. Gavin Newsom, nearly screamed through tears from the witness stand Monday when she told the court Harvey Weinstein raped her in a hotel room and spoke of the devastating effect it had on her in the 17 years...
Weinstein Trial Gets a
Surprise Potential Witness
Oct 15, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Weinstein Trial Gets a Surprise Potential Witness
Judge gives OK for prosecutors to call Mel Gibson to testify in support of 'Jane Doe No. 3'
- Harvey Weinstein's rape trial in Los Angeles may see an unexpected witness.
reports that on Friday in a motions hearing, Judge Lisa B. Lench gave prosecutors the OK for Mel Gibson to be called to testify against the disgraced movie producer, in support of accusations made by "...
No. 4' in New
Is Known Name
Oct 11, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
'Jane Doe No. 4' in New Weinstein Trial Is Known Name
Jennifer Siebel Newsom, married to Calif. Gov. Gavin Newsom, will testify
- Harvey Weinstein's trial kicked off Monday in Los Angeles, with the disgraced movie producer facing down 11 counts of sexual assault spurred by allegations from five women, in incidents said to have taken place between 2004 and 2013. One of those women, who will testify as "Jane Doe...
a Trial Where
Oct 9, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
For Weinstein, a Trial Where He Was Once King
Former Hollywood mogul to face new charges in Los Angeles starting Monday
- Five years after women's stories about him made the #MeToo movement explode, Harvey Weinstein is going on trial in the city where he once was a colossus at the Oscars. Already serving a 23-year sentence for rape and sexual assault in New York, the 70-year-old former movie mogul faces...
Judge Refuses to Push Back
Weinstein's LA Trial
Aug 29, 2022 6:20 PM CDT
Judge Refuses to Push Back Weinstein's LA Trial
His lawyers cite film release, urge judge to help him get new teeth
- Harvey Weinstein's Los Angeles trial will begin in less than six weeks despite arguments from his defense that an upcoming film could prejudice the jury against him. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Lisa Lench rejected an attempt to delay the trial because of
, a biographical drama about...
Harvey Weinstein Now
Faces Charges in UK
Jun 8, 2022 5:38 PM CDT
Harvey Weinstein Now Faces Charges in UK
Indecent assault charges follow Metropolitan Police investigation
- Harvey Weinstein has a very long prison sentence to serve, but there's still a chance he might travel internationally: Prosecutors in Britain say they have authorized the Metropolitan Police to charge the former movie producer with two counts of indecent assault against a woman in 1996, CNN reports. Crown...
Harvey Weinstein's Appeal
Doesn't Go His Way
Jun 3, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Harvey Weinstein's Appeal Doesn't Go His Way
New York appellate court upholds sex crimes convictions
A New York appellate court on Thursday upheld Harvey Weinstein's rape and sex crimes convictions, Fox News reports. The five-judge panel's ruling was unanimous. Per CNN , Weinstein's rep said his legal team is "disappointed, but not surprised. We are reviewing all of our options and...
Harvey Weinstein 'Sincerely
Sorry' About Contraband Candy
Mar 4, 2022 8:21 AM CST
Harvey Weinstein 'Sincerely Sorry' About Contraband Candy
Jail suspects lawyer slipped him Milk Duds
- Harvey Weinstein's attorneys are now having their legal binders and laptop bags searched after an alleged attempt to smuggle contraband candy to their client. According to Los Angeles Country jail records seen by
, the convicted rapist was reprimanded by guards after they found Milk Duds on him after...
Dec 8, 2021 5:39 PM CST
McGowan's Suit Against Weinstein Dismissed
Racketeering lawsuit said former producer tried to discredit actress before her memoir was published
- Rose McGowan's racketeering lawsuit against Harvey Weinstein has been dismissed, apparently because she missed a filing deadline. The suit accused the former movie mogul of trying to discredit McGowan before the publication of her memoir , which was to include her account of being sexually assaulted by Weinstein in 1997,...
Modeled on Harvey Weinstein
Oct 6, 2021 2:50 AM CDT
Orc Was Modeled on Harvey Weinstein
Peter Jackson and the producer apparently didn't part ways pleasantly
- If you thought one of the orcs in Peter Jackson's
Lord of the Rings
looked familiar, you were probably right: Elijah Wood revealed this week that one of them was modeled after Harvey Weinstein. "I think that is OK to talk about now," since Weinstein is in...
Jul 29, 2021 4:20 PM CDT
Judge Tosses Count Against Weinstein
Prosecutors might be able to make charge stick by refiling
- A Los Angeles judge on Thursday dismissed one of 11 sexual assault counts against Harvey Weinstein, giving the former movie mogul and convicted rapist a minor and possibly temporary victory. At a hearing with the 69-year-old Weinstein in the courtroom, Judge Lisa Lench agreed with his defense attorneys that a...
Weinstein Enters Plea in LA
Jul 21, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Weinstein Enters Plea in LA
Former movie mogul arraigned after being extradited from New York
- After being taken across the country from his New York prison cell to a Los Angeles courtroom, Harvey Weinstein pleaded not guilty Wednesday to 11 counts of sexual assault. New York state had turned Weinstein over to California authorities on Tuesday after he lost a court battle opposing extradition. The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.