Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
SC Candidate, 40, Seeks
Age Limit for Politicians
Jun 23, 2022 5:05 AM CDT
SC Candidate, 40, Seeks Age Limit for Politicians
Joe Cunningham says country is being run by 'geriatric oligarchy'
- Democratic gubernatorial nominee Joe Cunningham is proposing an age limit for South Carolina politicians—a cap that would cut off the 75-year-old incumbent Gov. Henry McMaster—and making a veiled argument that even fellow Democrats like President Biden are staying "in office way past their prime." "Our...
Republicans Who Criticized
Trump Face Tough Primaries
Jun 14, 2022 6:54 PM CDT
Republicans Who Criticized Trump Face Tough Primaries
In South Carolina, Rice has 6 challengers
- Two Republican US House incumbents in South Carolina who have drawn the ire of former President Donald Trump now find themselves facing tough primary challenges on Tuesday from candidates he has endorsed. Reps. Nancy Mace and Tom Rice criticized Trump after the Jan. 6 insurrection, with Rice among the 10...
Deputy's Crash Brings
Reckless Homicide Charges
Jun 8, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
Deputy's Crash Brings Reckless Homicide Charges
Cruiser hit car carrying a woman and 2 daughters
- A South Carolina sheriff's deputy has been charged with reckless homicide, a month after officials said she ran a stop sign and slammed into a car carrying three people. Deputy Emily Pelletier's car did not have the blue lights or the siren on at the time, said Charleston...
Boy Dies on Vacation in SC
in 'Senseless, Senseless Act'
Jun 2, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Boy Dies on Vacation in SC in 'Senseless, Senseless Act'
Quarius Naqua Dunham of NH was fatally shot by man who allegedly was firing randomly at cars
- A family vacation in South Carolina turned tragic after an 8-year-old boy was fatally shot by a man who was randomly firing at cars, according to local police. NBC News reports on the incident near Florence, where third-grader Quarius Naqua Dunham of New Hampshire was driving with his family around...
Deputy Sentenced to 18 Years
in Drowning of 2 Detainees
May 20, 2022 4:02 AM CDT
Deputy Sentenced to 18 Years in Drowning of 2 Detainees
Women were trapped in back of van after Stephen Flood tried to drive through water
- A former deputy in South Carolina who ignored supervisors' suggestions of alternate routes and tried to drive through floodwaters has been found guilty on all charges in the deaths of two women trapped in the back of a sheriff's department van. Stephen Flood, 70, was sentenced to 18 years...
Arrest Made in
2009 Myrtle Beach
May 16, 2022 5:31 PM CDT
Arrest Made in 2009 Myrtle Beach Disappearance
Brittanee Drexel, 17, vanished during spring break
- A full 13 years after Brittanee Drexel disappeared while on spring break in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina authorities said Monday that a suspect has been charged in her death. Raymond Moody, 62, is in custody, officials said, and has been charged with rape, murder, and kidnapping, WCIV reports. The 17-year-old'...
Sheriff: Man Killed
Girlfriend, Died While
Burying Her Body
May 11, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Sheriff: Man Killed Girlfriend, Died While Burying Her Body
Joseph McKinnon's body was found first outside South Carolina home
- Joseph McKinnon would be a good candidate for a Darwin award if the details surrounding his demise weren't so grim. Officials say the South Carolina man died of a heart attack during the process of burying his girlfriend, whom he'd strangled to death. The Edgefield County Sheriff's...
on SC Interstate
Caused By ... Pony
Apr 26, 2022 5:41 AM CDT
7-Car Crash on SC Interstate Caused By ... Pony
It's not clear how the animal got there
- A seven-car crash on a South Carolina interstate was caused by a pony, authorities say. The small pony was captured on video prancing through traffic in Spartanburg County on Saturday morning, WYFF-4 reports, and police say it caused a chain reaction of crashes. One person was hospitalized with minor injuries,...
Cops: Frightened Patron Shot
Haunted House Performer
Apr 21, 2022 4:40 PM CDT
Cops: Frightened Patron Shot Haunted House Performer
Keal Latrell Brown told police he thought gun was a prop
- A haunted house performer in South Carolina was shot Saturday for doing his job: scaring people, police say. The performer at the Zombie Experience at the Hollywood Wax Museum Haunted House in Myrtle Beach had scared a group of visitors before he was struck with a bullet to the shoulder,...
Police Identify 2 More Suspects
in South Carolina Mall Shooting
Apr 19, 2022 1:06 AM CDT
Police Identify 2 More Suspects in South Carolina Mall Shooting
One of them has already been arrested
- Authorities on Monday announced the arrest of a second man in connection with Saturday's shootout inside a busy shopping mall in South Carolina's capital, one of two mass shootings that rocked the state over the Easter holiday weekend. Marquise Love Robinson, 20, was taken into custody overnight and...
9 Shot at
Apr 18, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
9 Shot at South Carolina Nightclub
It was the state's second mass shooting of the holiday weekend
- Authorities in South Carolina are investigating a shooting at a nightclub early Sunday that wounded at least nine people. It was the second mass shooting in the state and the third in the nation during the Easter holiday weekend, the AP reports. No one was reported killed in the violence...
SC Mall Shooting Suspect
Was Defending Himself: Lawyer
Apr 18, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
SC Mall Shooting Suspect Was Defending Himself: Lawyer
Jewayne M. Price was shot at, returned fire, his lawyer says
- Jewayne M. Price, a suspect in the South Carolina mall shooting that injured 14 people Saturday, acted in self-defense, his lawyer says. Price, 22, also turned himself in immediately following the shooting, per attorney Todd Rutherford. "He simply defended himself,” Rutherford said at a bond hearing Sunday. “...
Arrest Made in Nation's
Latest Mall Shooting
Apr 17, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Arrest Made in Nation's Latest Mall Shooting
14 people injured, including nine gunshot victims, ages 15 to 73
- Police have arrested a suspect in connection with a shooting at a busy shopping mall in South Carolina’s capital on Saturday that left 14 people injured. Columbia Police Chief WH “Skip” Holbrook said 22-year-old Jewayne M. Price, who was one of three people initially detained by law enforcement...
Forced to Choose, Inmate
Opts for Firing Squad
Apr 15, 2022 11:49 AM CDT
Forced to Choose, Inmate Opts for Firing Squad
But Richard Moore is still fighting to avoid execution in South Carolina this month
- A South Carolina prisoner has decided to die by firing squad rather than in the electric chair later this month, according to court documents filed Friday. Richard Bernard Moore, 57, is the first state prisoner to face the choice of execution methods after a law went into effect last year...
Cops: Pie in the Face
Prank Is Criminal
Apr 15, 2022 10:42 AM CDT
Cops: Pie in the Face Prank Is Criminal
Greenville, SC, police search for suspect ID'd through his YouTube videos
- South Carolina police are looking for a suspect in a series of whipped cream assaults, who was identified from his own YouTube channel. Andre Eugene Moore-Gerald of Greenville, also identified through CCTV footage, is wanted on charges of third-degree assault and battery, according to Greenville police. Sgt. Johnathan Bragg says...
Boater Tried to Save Man in
Water, Then 'Had to Shoot Him'
Apr 11, 2022 10:29 AM CDT
Boater Tried to Save Man in Water, Then 'Had to Shoot Him'
911 calls released from woman whose husband had to fend off drunk attacker, say police
- The bare-bones police description of a fatal shooting on a South Carolina lake was strange enough. A couple in a boat pulled aboard another couple who'd fallen off their jet ski, but the man from the jet ski began attacking his saviors, say police. At one point, the man...
or Firing Squad?
Inmate Says Neither
Apr 8, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
Electric Chair or Firing Squad? Inmate Says Neither
Richard Moore asks courts to decide whether either is unconstitutional
- A South Carolina inmate scheduled to die either by a firing squad or in the electric chair later this month is asking the state Supreme Court to halt his execution until judges can determine if either method is cruel and unusual punishment. Richard Bernard Moore is to die April 29...
Cops: Boy, 12, Kills
Classmate, Also 12,
at SC Middle School
Apr 1, 2022 12:50 AM CDT
Cops: Boy, 12, Kills Classmate, Also 12, at SC Middle School
Suspect is charged with murder in South Carolina tragedy
- A 12-year-old student was shot and killed Thursday by another 12-year-old student inside their South Carolina middle school, authorities said. The shooter was found hiding under a deck at a home not far from Tanglewood Middle School in Greenville about an hour after the shooting and was still armed, Greenville...
Cops: First He Rescued Him,
Then He Shot Him
Mar 20, 2022 9:38 AM CDT
Cops: First He Rescued Him, Then He Shot Him
Bizarre shooting unfolds on the water in South Carolina
- A strange shooting took place on a lake in South Carolina this week, one in which a man was rescued from the water—twice—before being killed by his rescuer. But police say it's a clear case of self-defense, and no charges are being filed, reports WYFF4 . The shooting...
Feb 17, 2022 7:02 AM CST
Howard's Lacrosse Team Greeted With Racial Slurs
Presbyterian College is investigating students' behavior ahead of Friday's game
- An investigation is underway after Howard University's women’s lacrosse team said they were subjected to racial slurs and other derogatory remarks ahead of their season debut against Presbyterian College. Howard coach Karen Healy-Silcott says the team, made up of students of color, had entered Presbyterian's Bailey Memorial...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
Experts Are Raising Eyebrows at Laundrie Confession
Firm Parts With Lawyers Who Won Gun Case
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
This Is the Healthiest County in America
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.