Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's Dangerously Cold in
the Northeast Right Now
Feb 4, 2023 10:45 AM CST
It's Dangerously Cold in the Northeast Right Now
Region hit with dangerous 'Arctic intrusion'; wind chill atop NH's Mount Washington hit minus 108
- Arctic air descended into the Northeast on Saturday morning, bringing dangerously cold subzero temperatures and wind chills that dropped from minus 45 to minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit in many areas. Atop Mount Washington in New Hampshire's White Mountains, the overnight wind chill was measured at minus 108 degrees, according...
Austin Mayor: 'The City
Let Its Citizens Down'
Feb 3, 2023 12:06 PM CST
Austin Mayor: 'The City Let Its Citizens Down'
More than 120K customers in city remain without power as severe winter storm sweeps Texas
- Rising temperatures offered some hope Friday for frustrated Texans days after they lost power—and in many cases heat—in a deadly winter storm, while a new wave of frigid weather rolling into the Northeast led communities to close schools and open warming centers. Wind chills in some higher elevations...
So Long, Midwest:
Tornado Alley Has a
New Favorite Target
Jan 27, 2023 1:25 PM CST
So Long, Midwest: Tornado Alley Has a New Favorite Target
Instances of tornadoes in Great Plains are down, while they're more frequent in the Southeast
- Parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska have long been such rich tornado-magnets that the area was less-than-charmingly dubbed "Tornado Alley ." But as NBC News reports, Tornado Alley looks to be picking itself up and moving south, with researchers noting a pattern in recent years of fewer twisters...
Wreak Havoc in Asia
Jan 25, 2023 8:54 AM CST
Freezing Temps Wreak Havoc in Asia
Parts of Japan could see coldest weather in a decade; more than 100 are dead in Afghanistan
- Snow, wind, and freezing temperatures are wreaking havoc across Asia, and in some places it's turned deadly. Earlier this week, more than 120 people died in Afghanistan from the cold, while in China's northernmost city of Mohe, known as "China's North Pole," record lows of...
Blizzard Savior Given
Tickets to the Super Bowl
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 21, 2023 6:00 AM CST
Blizzard Savior Given Tickets to the Super Bowl
Cheektowaga mechanic Jay Withey, aka 'Merry Christmas Jay,' credited with saving 2 dozen
- A Good Samaritan in Buffalo who police say helped save two dozen lives during the city's December blizzard is getting a bit of a reward for his efforts. The Buffalo Bills are giving mechanic Jay Withey two tickets to next month's Super Bowl in Arizona, reports ESPN . It'...
Before He Was
Swept Away, Boy
Told His Mom, 'It's OK'
Jan 12, 2023 2:00 AM CST
Before He Was Swept Away, Boy Told His Mom, 'It's OK'
Kyle Doan is still missing after California's severe storms
- Lindsy Doan didn’t think the water flowing over the creek crossing on San Marcos Road was deeper than normal when she tried navigating it in her SUV while driving her 5-year-old son to school. But the creek, swollen with rain from California's epic winter storms, was much higher...
Sinkhole Swallows Cars
in LA County
Jan 11, 2023 1:00 AM CST
Sinkhole Swallows Cars in LA County
Mother, daughter rescued in Chatsworth during California storms
- Amid California's wild weather , a sinkhole opened up during one of the downpours in Los Angeles County, swallowing two cars. The sinkhole opened up around 7:30pm Monday in Chatsworth, and by the time firefighters arrived, it was already 15 feet deep, with heavy rainfall causing it to grow...
California's Volatile Weather
Isn't Over Yet
Jan 9, 2023 10:45 AM CST
California's Volatile Weather Isn't Over Yet
Governor warns deadly rain and winds may be worse this week
- Californians steeled Monday for the latest of a series of powerful storms that have shuttered schools, toppled trees, flooded roads, and left tens of thousands without power. The National Weather Service warned of a "relentless parade of atmospheric rivers"—storms that are long plumes of moisture stretching out...
'Bomb Cyclone' Causes
Massive Damage in California
Jan 6, 2023 4:19 AM CST
'Bomb Cyclone' Causes Massive Damage in California
At least 2 died in 'Pineapple Express' storm
- Hurricane-force winds, surging surf, and heavy rains from a powerful "atmospheric river" pounded California on Thursday, knocking out power to tens of thousands, causing flooding, and contributing to the deaths of at least two people, including a toddler whose home was crushed by a falling tree. Raging seas damaged...
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints
of 'Embarrassing' Response
Dec 29, 2022 11:23 AM CST
After Buffalo Storm, Complaints of 'Embarrassing' Response
County executive calls out the mayor, who suggests his critic is too stressed
- In Buffalo, the driving ban is now lifted, the region's death toll from its historic blizzard has risen to 37, and the snow has stopped falling. The blame game, however, appears to be just starting. Amid questions about how Buffalo, of all places, has been so slow to dig...
She Said She'd Be
Right Back, Died in the
Snow Not Far From Home
Dec 29, 2022 12:44 AM CST
She Said She'd Be Right Back, Died in the Snow Not Far From Home
Buffalo family mourns beloved grandmother
- As the blizzard bore down on Buffalo Christmas Eve, Monique Alexander told her daughter, Casey Maccarone, that she was going out and would be right back. Maccarone, who had seen on social media that stores were shutting down due to the storm, assumed her mom, who was 52, wanted to...
Lost Loved Ones
Trapped in Cars
Dec 28, 2022 10:40 AM CST
In Buffalo, Helpless Families Lost Loved Ones Trapped in Cars
3 storm victims died in their cars, says an Erie County official
- There are tales of amazing rescues out of Buffalo , but also stories of the other type: the tragic deaths of people who became stuck in their cars and couldn't be rescued amid a historic blizzard. NBC News has the stories of families who are mourning lost loved ones. Stasia...
Buffalo-Area Couple Takes in
Bus of Stranded Tourists
Dec 27, 2022 8:58 AM CST
Buffalo-Area Couple Takes in Bus of Stranded Tourists
Survival stories emerge from city slammed by blizzard of historic proportions
- In almost every story about Buffalo's blizzard—perhaps the worst in city history —is a quote along these lines: “I’ve lived here my whole life, and this is the worst storm I’ve ever seen." That one is from 48-year-old Trisha LoGrasso, who has been...
As Snow Buries
US, Japan Faces
Similar Deadly Plight
Dec 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
As Snow Buries US, Japan Faces Similar Deadly Plight
At least 17 are dead, dozens injured in large portions of the nation
- Heavy snow in large swaths of Japan has killed 17 and injured more than 90 people and left hundreds of homes without power, disaster management officials said Monday. Powerful winter fronts have dumped heavy snow in northern regions since last week, stranding hundreds of vehicles on highways, delaying delivery services,...
At Least 37 Dead as
Storm's Misery Continues
Dec 26, 2022 6:29 AM CST
At Least 37 Dead as Storm's Misery Continues
Power is coming back online, but flight delays and cold temps are expected to hang around
- Millions of people hunkered down against a deep freeze Sunday to ride out the winter storm that CNN reports has killed at least 37 people across the United States and is expected to claim more lives after trapping some residents inside houses with heaping snow drifts and knocking out power...
Buffalo Blizzard May Be
Worst in City History
Dec 25, 2022 7:40 AM CST
Buffalo Blizzard May Be Worst in City History
Christmas storm is 'like a Category 3 hurricane with a bunch of snow mixed in'
- The greater Buffalo region is currently doing anything but waxing poetic about a white Christmas, dreaming instead of simpler things like power and heat as the winter storm that battered the nation takes an especially brutal swing at Western New York. Buffalo, no stranger to snow, is currently enduring what...
US Is No Joke
Dec 23, 2022 8:18 AM CST
Megastorm Slamming US Is No Joke
Holiday travel is disrupted, experts warn of frostbite, and lizards may soon start falling in the South
- Temperatures are plummeting rapidly around the nation in what could be one of the coldest Christmases in memory. NBC News reports that 200 million people in the US, or around 60% of the population, have been hit with a weather warning or advisory. The National Weather Service notes that the...
a Merry Little
Dec 22, 2022 6:34 AM CST
Have Yourselves a Merry Little 'Bomb Cyclone'
Rapid temperature drops, wind chills as low as -70 expected into holiday weekend
- Parts of the US are in for "the coldest Christmas in four decades," the BBC reports, noting a "once-in-a-generation" cold snap will evolve into a "bomb cyclone" ahead of the holiday weekend, throwing a wrench in travel plans for millions of Americans. A bomb cyclone—a...
Storm System Lashes
Huge Area of Central US
Dec 13, 2022 8:12 PM CST
Storm System Lashes Huge Area of Central US
It brought tornadoes to Oklahoma and Texas, blizzard threat to Plains region
- A massive storm blowing across the country spawned tornadoes that wrecked homes and injured a handful of people in parts of Oklahoma and Texas, including the Dallas-Fort Worth area, as much of the central United States from the Rocky Mountains to the Midwest braced for blizzard-like conditions. An area stretching...
Severe Storms May Impact
30M Americans This Week
Nov 28, 2022 1:29 PM CST
Severe Storms May Impact 30M Americans This Week
'Massive system' could bring supercell thunderstorms and tornadoes
- With regard to weather, it could be an ugly week across much of the South and Midwest, as a huge storm system makes its way across the country from the Pacific Northwest, per the
USA Today .
Gregg Gallina of the National Weather Service said the system is “pretty typical”...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.