Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suit: Muslim Woman
Not Allowed to Shoot at
Firing Range With Hijab
Dec 30, 2021 1:32 AM CST
Suit: Muslim Woman Not Allowed to Shoot at Firing Range With Hijab
Lawsuit alleges religious discrimination, range says it's a safety issue
- A firearms store and gun range in suburban Kansas City refused to let a Muslim woman use the range unless she removed her hijab, a Muslim civil rights organization alleged in a federal lawsuit. In a lawsuit filed Tuesday, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the law firm of Baldwin...
Police Chief Saved Baby From
Drowning, Then Beat Her Dad
Jul 29, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
Police Chief Saved Baby From Drowning, Then Beat Her Dad
Greg Hallgrimson pleads guilty to assaulting suspect accused of trying to kill infant
- A former suburban Kansas City police chief was credited with saving the life of a 6-month-old girl after her father walked into his police station in December 2018, allegedly announcing that he'd just drowned the infant in an icy pond . Greg Hallgrimson and another Greenwood, Mo., police officer raced...
43 Years After
He Was Jailed,
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 15, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
43 Years After He Was Jailed, Prosecutors Admit 'Error'
They say Kevin Strickland, who had an alibi, is innocent of 1978 murders
- Kevin Strickland has spent two-thirds of his life—43 years—behind bars for a triple murder. The problem is he wasn't even at the scene, according to prosecutors in Kansas City. "This is a profound error we must correct now," Jackson County prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said...
Stray Bullet Pierces Reporter's
Window, Killing Her
Apr 27, 2021 1:33 AM CDT
Stray Bullet Pierces Reporter's Window, Killing Her
Aviva Okeson-Haberman worked for an NPR affiliate in Kansas City
- A horrifying story out of Kansas City, where a 24-year-old journalist was in her apartment when she was struck and killed by what appears to have been a stray bullet that came through a window. Aviva Okeson-Haberman was found unconscious Friday afternoon by a co-worker who was concerned she wasn'...
Girl in Coma After Crash
Involving Chiefs Coach Wakes
Feb 16, 2021 9:20 AM CST
Girl in Coma After Crash Involving Chiefs Coach Wakes
But Kansas City Chiefs assistant coach may still be out of a job
- A 5-year-old girl who suffered life-threatening injuries in a crash with a Kansas City Chiefs coach earlier this month is out of a coma. Ariel Young awoke Monday, 11 days after Britt Reid struck her family's vehicle on a highway on-ramp near the team practice facility in Kansas City,...
Dec 21, 2020 12:32 PM CST
City's Longtime Newspaper Offers an Apology
Kansas City Star says Black people were long depicted as 'criminals living in a crime-laden world'
Kansas City Star
has apologized for decades of coverage in which the city's Black residents were treated as "invisible"—unless they were involved in crimes. In an essay, " The Truth in Black and White ," editor Mike Fannin acknowledges that for much of its 140-year...
Nov 21, 2020 12:20 PM CST
Motorbike Crash Turns Into Much, Much More
Man in Kansas City suffers three accidents at once
- There's crashing your motorbike, and then there's this. Police say a man racing his bike in Kansas City on Thursday managed to crash, shoot himself, and get hit by another vehicle at roughly the same time, KCTV5 reports. According to police, "a weapon in his waistband discharged"...
2 Police Officers Shot in
Kansas City Incidents
Jul 3, 2020 1:54 AM CDT
2 Police Officers Shot in Kansas City Incidents
One was shot in the head and is in critical condition
- A shooting Thursday in Kansas City, Missouri, left a suspect dead and a police officer in critical condition after being shot in the head, police said. It was the second shooting that injured a Kansas City officer Thursday, the AP reports; three people including a police officer were shot earlier...
2 Dead, 15 Injured
in Nightclub Shooting
Jan 20, 2020 6:03 AM CST
2 Dead, 15 Injured in Nightclub Shooting
No motive known yet in Kansas City
- Police say a gunman opened fire on a line of people waiting to get into a Kansas City nightclub Sunday night, with two people dead and 15 injured in the aftermath, reports the
Kansas City Star
. Police think the gunman was one of the two people killed after being shot...
Radio Station Cuts Deal
to Air 'Russian Propaganda'
Jan 18, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Radio Station Cuts Deal to Air 'Russian Propaganda'
That forced RM Broadcasting to register as a foreign agent
- Kansas City radio lovers can now hear six hours of Russian state-owned media per day, the Hill reports. That's because a Florida-based company, RM Broadcasting LLC, has agreed with Radio Sputnik to broadcast its Russian media through the Alpine Broadcasting Corp, which airs on three frequencies around Kansas City...
After a Year, KC Voters
Rescind MLK Honor
Nov 6, 2019 8:43 AM CST
After a Year, KC Voters Rescind MLK Honor
Majority of voters want The Paseo back in Kansas City
- Both sides say they're fighting to retain history. Now, the day after a contentious election, the side that fought for the memory of Martin Luther King Jr. has lost that battle. The AP reports Kansas City voted "overwhelmingly"—almost 70% of the vote, per unofficial late-night returns...
A Man Vanished Into Thin Air.
A Dirt Biker Solved the Mystery
Oct 19, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
A Man Vanished Into Thin Air. A Dirt Biker Solved the Mystery
Ryan Linneman of Missouri is in critical condition after car crash left him in a ravine for a week
- A dirt biker out for a ride stumbled across a horrifying sight on Wednesday: a smashed-up car at the bottom of a ravine, with what he thought was a dead body inside. As Fox News reports, that horror story soon became a miraculous one, as the man inside the car...
Oct 11, 2019 1:56 PM CDT
Cop Charged After 2nd Shooting With Similar Details
Sheriff's deputy Lauren Michael charged with assault after scooter incident in Kansas City
- A 29-year-old sheriff's deputy in Jackson County, Mo., has been charged with felony assault and criminal action, and an investigation has been launched regarding a 2017 incident for which she'd received a medal of valor. "Laws that protect law enforcement's actions are a high hurdle for...
After Mass Shooting
in Kansas City Bar
Oct 7, 2019 3:03 AM CDT
Suspect Arrested After Mass Shooting in Kansas City Bar
Second gunman is still at large, police say
- One suspect has been arrested after a mass shooting in a Kansas City bar that killed four people and injured at least five others early Sunday. Police say Javier Alatorre, 23, was arrested across the state line in Kansas City, Missouri, on Sunday afternoon, hours after authorities released surveillance photos...
4 Killed, 5 Hurt in
KC Bar Shooting
Oct 6, 2019 6:11 AM CDT
4 Killed, 5 Hurt in KC Bar Shooting
Shooter still on the loose, no motive known
- Authorities say four people have been killed in an overnight shooting at a bar in Kansas City, Kansas, reports the AP . KSHB-TV reports that officers were called Sunday at 1:30am to the Tequila KC Bar for a shooting. Police said someone entered the bar and opened fire, fatally wounding...
Man Guilty of Murder
in Death of Fleeing Victim
Aug 30, 2019 4:42 AM CDT
Man Guilty of Murder in Death of Fleeing Victim
Case sparked changes to 911 system
- In August 2017, Kansas City woman Shannon Keithley fled her home and died when her SUV slammed into a concrete pillar as she was calling 911. Police found Orlando Taylor hiding under the back deck of her home and charged him with rape and burglary. On Wednesday, a jury found...
Doctor Pulls Brown Recluse
From a Woman's Ear
Aug 25, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
Doctor Pulls Brown Recluse From a Woman's Ear
Spider moved in but didn't bite
- That swishing sound in Susie Torres' ear sounded like water. Maybe it was caused by a recent allergy shot, she thought. The slight pain didn't let up, so she decided to have her ear examined after work. A medical assistant had one look and went for help, KSHB reports....
Kansas City Police
Shoot 'Very Angry'
Aug 14, 2019 1:03 AM CDT
Kansas City Police Shoot 'Very Angry' Rifle-Toting Man
Suspect told hotel manager he had killed wife
- Police in Kansas City, Kansas, shot and killed a man on Tuesday who told a hotel manager that he had killed his wife and was heading to a popular shopping and restaurant area. The "very angry and distraught" man entered the Country Inn & Suites near the Legends Outlet...
He Wouldn't Get
Out of the Car.
Jul 24, 2019 8:10 AM CDT
He Wouldn't Get Out of the Car. ICE Agents Smashed the Window
Facebook video shows man with girlfriend, 2 young kids being dragged out of car by ICE officers
- A Facebook Live video recorded by a woman in Kansas City, Mo., is causing a stir after Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers were seen breaking the window of the car she was in and dragging her boyfriend out to arrest him. Per ABC News , Cheyenne Hoyt says she and Florencio...
Jul 2, 2019 9:13 AM CDT
Teen Helping Family Friend Found Dead
Kansas girl, sister had been helping a man clean out a semi when he called her back
- Jasmine Mills, 17, left her home in Olathe, Kansas, early Thursday intending to help an adult friend remove trash from the cab of a semi-truck. Days later, her body was found in the back of a semi-truck in nearby Kansas City, leaving her family desperate for answers. Jasmine's 16-year-old...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
At 63, Gabriel Garcia Marquez Had an Affair—and a Daughter
Pastor Warns Things 'Might Get Nasty.' They Did
Giant Swing in Polls Doesn't Bode Well for Democrats
Focus Returns to a Maskless Justice Gorsuch
Skier May Face Manslaughter Charges After Deadly Collision
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.