Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the Best-Run
City in America
Jun 21, 2022 4:23 PM CDT
This Is the Best-Run City in America
According to WalletHub, it's Nampa, Idaho; Washington, DC comes in last
- As the US continues along on its COVID recovery path, cities are trying to get back on their feet, with local leadership trying to balance continuing pandemic issues with the other complexities of running their municipalities. WalletHub was curious which cities across America are doing best at this task, including...
Lawsuit: Jail Abuse Included
Hours of 'Baby Shark'
Nov 5, 2021 4:37 PM CDT
Lawsuit: Jail Abuse Included Hours of 'Baby Shark'
Three Oklahoma County employees left after investigation
- Former detainees in Oklahoma City have accused jail officers of "torture tactics" that subjected the inmates to physical and verbal abuse—including being forced to stand for hours while "Baby Shark" was blasted at them. The federal civil rights suit names Oklahoma County Sheriff Tommie Johnson III, county...
5 Cops Charged With
Manslaughter in Teen's Death
Mar 11, 2021 4:35 AM CST
5 Cops Charged With Manslaughter in Teen's Death
DA says officers gave 15-year-old 'varying commands' before opening fire
- After 15-year-old Stavian Rodriguez was fatally shot outside an Okie Gas Express in November, police in Oklahoma City said they opened fire after the teen refused to obey commands. The district attorney, however, says the five officers shot the teen after "simultaneously giving him varying commands" after he had...
Newly Elected Lawmaker Just
Pulled Off a Bunch of Firsts
Nov 5, 2020 10:45 AM CST
Newly Elected Lawmaker Just Pulled Off a Bunch of Firsts
Mauree Turner is first openly nonbinary state lawmaker, first practicing Muslim in state House
- America's first openly nonbinary state lawmaker has been elected in the Bible Belt. Mauree Turner, a 27-year-old criminal justice advocate, won Oklahoma's 88th state House district on Tuesday, achieving her goal of making the state legislature more diverse. Not only does the Democrat—who uses the pronouns she/her...
Cops: McDonald's Workers Shot
Over Virus-Closed Dining Area
May 7, 2020 8:25 AM CDT
Cops: McDonald's Workers Shot Over Virus-Closed Dining Area
3 employees injured in shooting, scuffle in Oklahoma City
- Two employees of a McDonald's in southwest Oklahoma City were shot Wednesday in what authorities described as a dispute involving the closure of the restaurant's dining area. A third employee who fell and suffered a head injury during the scuffle was also taken to hospital, per KOCO . Oklahoma...
He Pleaded Guilty,
Got 15 Years.
Then the Lab
Results Came In
Oct 16, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
He Pleaded Guilty, Got 15 Years. Then the Lab Results Came In
Turns out Cody Gregg wasn't carrying 45.91 grams of cocaine
- After nearly two months in the Oklahoma County Jail, Cody Gregg had enough. And so the 29-year-old pleaded guilty to cocaine possession with the intent to distribute in a bid to get out of that jail. He was sentenced last Tuesday to a 15-year prison term. But by Friday, his...
First-Time Home Buyers
Should Look Here
May 27, 2019 10:52 AM CDT
First-Time Home Buyers Should Look Here
First American locates 10 most affordable cities for the group
- Americans looking to buy their first home should consider the Midwest and South, according to insurance firm First American . The company uses its own calculations, saying "any affordability metric that includes existing homeowners is wildly misleading to first-time homebuyers" since the former group can already afford a home, per...
10 Best US Cities
May 6, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
10 Best US Cities for Business Startups
Orlando tops WalletHub's list
- Anyone stuck in a cubicle at a dead-end job has dreamed of either hitting it big in the lottery or of starting a business—and for the latter, there are certain US cities that may be just the ticket to making that dream become reality. WalletHub examined startup opportunities in...
Uber Driver Reports
Would-Be Bank Robbers
Feb 8, 2019 12:01 AM CST
Uber Driver Reports Would-Be Bank Robbers
They also called an Uber for a getaway
- Things did not work out well for three Oklahoma City teenagers who allegedly planned to rob a bank—using Uber as transportation. Police say the Uber driver who took the teens to the bank Tuesday afternoon called authorities after hearing one of them say he had a gun and was...
Cops: Armed Citizen Ended
'Terrible, Terrible Incident'
May 25, 2018 6:00 AM CDT
Cops: Armed Citizen Ended 'Terrible, Terrible Incident'
Civilian killed Oklahoma restaurant gunman
- A man armed with a pistol walked into an Oklahoma City restaurant at the dinner hour Thursday and opened fire, wounding two customers, before being shot dead by a handgun-carrying civilian in the parking lot, police say. The shooting happened around 6:30pm at Louie's On The Lake, a...
10 Best Big US Cities
to Launch a Business
Apr 30, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
10 Best Big US Cities to Launch a Business
Oklahoma City is first on the list
- If you've got the entrepreneurial itch and are on the hunt for the best place to jump-start a business, WalletHub has some insights. The site pulled out more than 180 large US cities and looked at 19 key metrics for each in three main categories: business environment, including the...
Police Fatally Shoot Man Who
Ignored Orders. He Was Deaf
Sep 20, 2017 4:07 PM CDT
Police Fatally Shoot Man Who Ignored Orders. He Was Deaf
Magdiel Sanchez was killed Tuesday when officers showed up at his home
- Police fatally shot a 35-year-old deaf man Tuesday night in Oklahoma City while neighbors screamed at officers that the man couldn't hear their commands, the
New York Daily News
reports. Police say Magdiel Sanchez's father was behind the wheel of a car that hit an object and didn'...
Oklahoma Man Dialed Number
to Detonate a Bomb. Nothing
Aug 14, 2017 1:29 PM CDT
Oklahoma Man Dialed Number to Detonate a Bomb. Nothing
The FBI says it had been onto Jerry Drake Varnell for months
- The FBI on Saturday arrested a 23-year-old man who authorities say attempted to detonate what he believed was an explosives-laden van outside an Oklahoma bank. Officials say Jerry Drake Varnell of Sayre, Okla., was arrested around 1am after he twice dialed a number on a cellphone that he believed would...
Grandma Gets Life for Dressing
as Witch to 'Torture' 7-Year-Old
Apr 15, 2017 12:05 PM CDT
Grandma Gets Life for Dressing as Witch to 'Torture' 7-Year-Old
Her boyfriend, a demon named Coogro, was sentenced to 30 years
- A 51-year-old woman who dressed as a witch named Nelda to "repeatedly torture" her 7-year-old granddaughter received three life sentences Thursday, the
reports. Geneva Robinson of Oklahoma City pleaded guilty to five counts of felony child abuse. The assistant DA says Robinson's granddaughter spent months living in...
Man in Boy's
Jan 10, 2017 10:53 AM CST
Cops Hunting Man in Boy's Failed Abduction
He grabbed 8-year-old in Oklahoma City: police
- Oklahoma City police have released surveillance photos of a man involved in an apparent failed abduction in the hope that the public will help identify him. The man—Hispanic or Native American, heavy set, and about 6 feet tall—was seen grabbing an 8-year-old boy at the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds...
Bomb Scare on
Boston Celtics Plane
Dec 11, 2016 12:16 PM CST
Bomb Scare on Boston Celtics Plane
Team lands safely in Oklahoma City, no bomb found
- The Boston Celtics got a scare when they were told of a bomb threat on their private flight to Oklahoma City. The
reports the plane landed safely around 5:00pm at Will Rogers World Airport, where players were told to leave their bags and proceed to their hotel....
Cops: Okla. Airport Gunman
Was Ex-Southwest Worker
Nov 17, 2016 2:28 AM CST
Cops: Okla. Airport Gunman Was Ex-Southwest Worker
He quit after refusing alcohol test last year
- A man who gunned down a Southwest Airlines employee outside of Oklahoma City's airport likely did so in retaliation for having lost his own job with the airline last year, police said Wednesday. Lloyd Dean Buie, 45, killed 52-year-old Michael Winchester on Tuesday as Winchester was leaving work and...
Cops: Oklahoma Airport
Murder Wasn't Random
Nov 16, 2016 2:21 AM CST
Cops: Oklahoma Airport Murder Wasn't Random
Victim is the father of a Kansas City Chiefs player
- Oklahoma City police investigators are trying to figure out why a man waited to gun down an airline employee outside Will Rogers World Airport in an ambush that prompted authorities to shut down the state's busiest airport for hours. Police Capt. Paco Balderrama says the suspected shooter was found...
Killed in Airport Shooting
Nov 15, 2016 5:25 PM CST
Southwest Employee Killed in Airport Shooting
All flights have been canceled at Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City
- A Southwest Airlines employee has died after being shot at Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City, the AP reports. Southwest spokesperson Brandy King confirmed the victim was an employee and says in a news release that the airline is cancelling all flights scheduled to depart Oklahoma City for the...
Eats Super Glue,
Gets Great Souvenir
Jun 15, 2016 12:33 PM CDT
Curious Dog Eats Super Glue, Gets Great Souvenir
'Just a small amount had just swollen up to the size of a turkey leg'
- An Oklahoma City family has a permanent memento of the time their 6-month-old Weimaraner ate a bottle of Gorilla Glue: a perfect mold of the dog's stomach. CNN reports Lake made a snack of the partially full bottle of super glue she found in the trash last Thursday and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Deborrah Collier Bought Some Items Before Her Odd Death
Chess Champ Finally Unloads Cheating Allegations
Hurricane Ian's Approach 'Near Worst-Case' for Tampa
Fetterman Explains Tattoos After Tucker Carlson's Rant
Couple Saves Injured Baby Allegedly Abandoned by Dad
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.