Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Zoo's 'Cry Me a Cockroach'
Promotion Is Back for V-Day
Jan 30, 2023 8:47 AM CST
Zoo's 'Cry Me a Cockroach' Promotion Is Back for V-Day
To, er, celebrate Valentine's Day, San Antonio Zoo will feed a roach named after your ex to an animal
- If you're not especially looking forward to Feb. 14 due to a recent breakup, one Texas venue has a promotion that could help mitigate the pain with a little old fashioned spite. The San Antonio Zoo is once again hosting its "Cry Me a Cockroach" fundraiser , with all...
ATF: Turn in Your Ex for
a 'Valentine's Day Surprise'
Feb 14, 2022 12:28 PM CST
ATF: Turn in Your Ex for a 'Valentine's Day Surprise'
'Valentine's Day can still be fun even if you broke up'
- ATF doesn't stand for "affection, tenderness, and flowers"—and the agency definitely isn't feeling romantic this Valentine's Day. In a tweet Monday morning, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives urged people to turn in former partners involved in illegally buying and selling guns....
White Castle Says
Feb. 14 'Fine Dining'
Is Off This Year
Jan 18, 2022 4:51 PM CST
White Castle Says Feb. 14 'Fine Dining' Is Off This Year
Chain is offering takeout 'Love Cube' instead
- Bad news for anybody who was relying on White Castle to provide a romantic atmosphere for a Valentine's Day meal this year: The burger chain says its annual "fine dining" experience at selected restaurants, which includes reservations, table service, and plenty of Valentine-themed decorations, has been called off...
Sheriff's Office's Offer
'Too Sweet to Pass Up'
Feb 14, 2021 3:20 PM CST
Sheriff's Office's Offer 'Too Sweet to Pass Up'
Valentine's post has drawn laughs and criticism
- A North Carolina sheriff’s office is giving people a chance on Valentine’s Day weekend to show their former lovers they’re still wanted by turning them in if they have outstanding warrants, the AP reports. The Nash County Sheriff’s Office is offering what it calls a “...
First Lady Leaves Valentine's
Day 'Surprise' for America
Feb 12, 2021 12:58 PM CST
First Lady Leaves Valentine's Day 'Surprise' for America
Dr. Jill Biden scattered hearts with uplifting messages across White House lawn
- We're not yet sure what President Biden got Dr. Jill Biden for Feb. 14, but we know what she got for the rest of us. America woke up Friday to see what the first lady's press secretary calls "surprise Valentine messages," in the form of giant...
Law Firm Offers
Valentine's Day Gift
Jan 18, 2021 11:52 AM CST
Law Firm Offers Most Unusual Valentine's Day Gift
You'll get a free divorce if Powers Law chooses you as the 'winner'
- It may seem too early to start thinking about Valentine's Day, but if you're considering a divorce and looking to save some cash, this might be just the time. CNN reports on a decidedly unromantic offering in honor of the upcoming Feb. 14: a free divorce, courtesy of...
A Valentine's Day Shooting
Feb 15, 2020 5:30 AM CST
A Valentine's Day Shooting With a
3 wounded at Georgia's Old Lady Gang, owned by Kandi Burruss of 'RHOA'
- Three people were shot and wounded on Valentine's Day at a restaurant just outside Atlanta that's owned by singer and
Real Housewives of Atlanta
star Kandi Burruss. A man entered the Old Lady Gang restaurant on Friday night and targeted another man, East Point police Capt. Allyn Glover...
How Much People Plan
to Spend on Valentine's Day
Feb 14, 2020 12:56 PM CST
How Much People Plan to Spend on Valentine's Day
Gen Xers expected to spend the most
- When it comes to Valentine's Day, members of Generation X appear to literally buy into it more than other generations. A survey by Compare Cards pegs the average outlay among all Americans at $142, with men ($249) far outpacing women ($57). But the generational breakdown shows big differences, notes...
Is Getting His
Feb 13, 2020 8:54 AM CST
Sean Spicer Is Getting His Own Show
In the meantime, he's selling personalized messages for charity
- Sean Spicer is going from one TV show to another, with the former White House press secretary set to launch his own cable news show next month, reports Page Six . But since he has some time to kill, Spicer is offering to send a personalized video message to your special...
Zoo Offers Up a Little V-Day
Revenge for the Lovelorn
Feb 11, 2020 7:51 AM CST
Zoo Offers Up a Little V-Day Revenge for the Lovelorn
For $25, you can name a mouse after your ex, watch it get fed to a snake
- The San Antonio Zoo is getting in on the trend of Valentine's Day revenge , offering to name a rat after your ex and feed it to a snake. The feast goes down Feb. 14, with a $25 charge per submission. Or you can go the $5 route and name...
Burger King Will Trade
a Whopper for a
Photo of Your Ex
Feb 7, 2020 3:47 AM CST
Burger King Will Trade a Whopper for a Photo of Your Ex
Customers will have to put it in a 'breakup box'
- If your Valentine's Day dinner is going to be a fast-food meal for one, Burger King has a deal that might lift your spirits. The chain says customers at four US locations will be able to trade a photo of their ex for a free Whopper, Fox 8 reports....
Did You Get a
Weird Text This
May Be Why
Nov 8, 2019 9:55 AM CST
Did You Get a Weird Text This Week? This May Be Why
Telecom glitch caused people to get 'ghost' texts from people who didn't send them
- If you recently received a strange text that doesn't make any sense from someone you know, you're not alone—and a Maine radio station appears to have helped solve the mystery. Per
, lots of head-scratching has been happening over the past couple of days, with people...
Katy Perry Is
Feb 15, 2019 9:19 AM CST
Katy Perry Is Getting Married
Singer, Orlando Bloom apparently in it for 'lifetimes'
- "Full bloom," indeed. Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom are assumed to be engaged after the couple shared a photo of Perry sporting what appears to be a flower-shaped ruby and diamond ring, per
. "Full bloom," Perry captioned the Instagram photo , in which the pair is...
Feb 14, 2019 5:48 PM CST
Middle Schoolers Hospitalized After Valentine's Candy
It's not clear what type of treats were eaten in Atlanta incident
- School officials say 21 students from a middle school south of Atlanta have been taken to hospitals after eating candy and snacks on Valentine's Day, the AP reports. Authorities with the city of South Fulton say it appeared that the Sandtown Middle School students became ill after eating some...
Are Sick of
Feb 11, 2019 11:41 AM CST
Japan's Women Are Sick of This Valentine's Day Tradition
The ladies aren't really feeling 'giri choco,' or 'obligation chocolates,' for their male co-workers
- In Japan, there are all kinds of chocolate that women hand out on Valentine's Day: There's "honmei choco" ("true feelings chocolate") that their romantic interests or partners receive, as well as "tomo choco" ("friend chocolate") given to platonic pals, usually other females....
Name a Cockroach
After Your Ex, Then
Watch It Get Eaten
Feb 8, 2019 9:23 AM CST
Name a Cockroach After Your Ex, Then Watch It Get Eaten
El Paso Zoo offers Valentine's Day revenge of sorts
- If a recent breakup has ruined your plans for Feb. 14, El Paso Zoo will at least provide satisfying entertainment. In what it's calling "the perfect Valentine's Day gift," the Texas zoo is offering to name a cockroach after your ex before feeding it to a...
A Snake Needs
a Name: Your Ex's
Feb 5, 2019 8:40 AM CST
A Snake Needs a Name: Your Ex's
Aussie zoo contest lets you explain why its resident reptile deserves your ex's moniker
- The brown snake of Australia is among the most poisonous in the world, which is apparently why a zoo Down Under has decided to let you name one of them after your ex. That is, if you win Wild Life Sydney's Valentine's Day contest, which is giving competitors...
'Build That Wall'
Cookie Not Going Over Well
Jan 29, 2019 2:50 PM CST
'Build That Wall' Cookie Not Going Over Well
Baker owner Ken Bellingham says it was meant as a joke
- Ken Bellingham says he wrote "Build that Wall" on a heart-shaped cookie as a joke for Valentine's Day. But "I guess the joke is on me," the owner of Edmonds Bakery in Edmonds, Wash., tells KING5 after social media users labeled the bakery "racist" and...
Sorry, Sweethearts Fans:
Won't Be Sold
Jan 24, 2019 3:57 PM CST
Sorry, Sweethearts Fans: Iconic Candy Won't Be Sold This Year
But you can opt for other candy hearts
- Sweethearts—those chalky little candies with messages on them—won't be on store shelves this Valentine's Day, the AP reports. The New England Confectionary Co.—or Necco—had been making the popular candies since 1886. But the company filed for bankruptcy protection last spring. Ohio-based Spangler Candy...
Honkytonk Woman Traces
Heart 30K Feet Above England
Feb 14, 2018 3:55 PM CST
Honkytonk Woman Traces Heart 30K Feet Above England
Virgin Atlantic had some holiday fun with training flight Wednesday
- “We had a training flight planned for 14 February, and when we realized it was Valentine’s Day we decided to have a little fun," the
quotes Virgin Atlantic's director of aircraft operations as saying. Business Insider reports an Airbus A330 nicknamed Honkytonk Woman flew...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
Some Think Twice About Wearing a Wetsuit in SF
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.