Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Special Election Next Week
Is Being Closely Watched
Aug 20, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
A Special Election Next Week Is Being Closely Watched
Contest to fill open congressional seat in New York state seen as a national 'bellwether'
- It was shaping up to be a ho-hum special election in New York state to fill an open congressional seat. But next week's contest between Republican Marc Molinaro and Democrat Pat Ryan has suddenly become so much more. Politico sees it as the "ultimate bellwether" race, one that...
Feb 16, 2022 8:18 AM CST
San Francisco's Special Election Delivers 'Clear Message'
3 school board members ousted in city's first recall since 1983
- San Francisco residents recalled three members of the city's school board on Tuesday for what critics called misplaced priorities and putting progressive politics over the needs of children during the pandemic. Voters overwhelmingly approved the recall in a special election, according to tallies by the San Francisco Department of...
Congresswoman Sues Over
Change in Election Day
Sep 29, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Congresswoman Sues Over Change in Election Day
Rep. Angie Craig doesn't want voting in her race postponed from November to February
- Democratic Rep. Angie Craig is seeking a court order requiring that the November election in her Minnesota congressional race be held as scheduled instead of being delayed until February because a third-party candidate died, per the AP . Craig, who is seeking a second term in a competitive suburban and rural...
In Rare Move,
California House Seat
May 14, 2020 1:20 AM CDT
In Rare Move, Republican Flips California House Seat
Mike Garcia wins special election
- Mike Garcia grew up a single-minded kid from Southern California: He just wanted to fly fighter jets. His decision to enter national politics wouldn’t come until decades later, after he had seen one California election too many. A career as a Navy aviator would lead to a decade in...
Has Been Elected
Apr 29, 2020 7:22 AM CDT
Elijah Cummings' Replacement Has Been Elected
Kweisi Mfume wins over GOPer Kimberly Klacik for 7th Congressional District seat in Maryland
- It was a race in Maryland "dramatically reshaped by the coronavirus pandemic," and one man has easily emerged victorious, per NBC News . Democrat Kweisi Mfume, 71, who was the head of the NAACP for nearly nine years, defeated Republican Kimberly Klacik in a special election held Tuesday to...
Man Who Triggered Mueller
Inquiry Running for Congress
Oct 30, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
Man Who Triggered Mueller Inquiry Running for Congress
Convicted Trump aide George Papadopoulos is interested in Katie Hill's seat
- From the big house to the House? George Papadopoulos, the former Trump campaign adviser who triggered what became the Mueller investigation and served 14 days in prison for lying to the FBI, has filed paperwork to run for Congress. The Republican is running for the seat being opened by the...
GOP Narrowly Wins
NC Special Election
Sep 11, 2019 12:02 AM CDT
GOP Narrowly Wins NC Special Election
It was the last race of the 2018 midterms
- Dan Bishop prevailed in the "battle of the Dans" in North Carolina on Tuesday, bringing an end to the final race of the 2018 midterms. The Republican state senator narrowly defeated Democratic rival Dan McCready in a special election in the state's 9th Congressional District, sparing Republicans an...
All Eyes on Mississippi
and Last Election of 2018
Nov 27, 2018 10:35 AM CST
All Eyes on Mississippi and Last Election of 2018
Can Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith hold off Democrat Mike Espy?
- Will it be 53-47 or 52-48? The last election of 2018 will determine the Republican advantage in the Senate next year. GOP incumbent Cindy Hyde-Smith is trying to fend off Democratic challenger Mike Espy in Mississippi in Tuesday's special election. As Politico reports, Hyde-Pierce has never trailed in the...
Democrat Won't Concede
in Ohio Special Election
Aug 9, 2018 5:12 AM CDT
Democrat Won't Concede in Ohio Special Election
Republican rival's lead is shrinking
- President Trump has already congratulated the Republican candidate in a closely watched special congressional election in Ohio—but election officials say the race has actually tightened. Officials in Franklin County, where Republican Troy Balderson and Democrat Danny O'Connor are competing for a House seat, say they found 588 previously...
GOP Declares Victory
in Tight Ohio Race
Aug 8, 2018 6:53 AM CDT
GOP Declares Victory in Tight Ohio Race
Trump congratulates Balderson on 'great victory'
- The year's last special election for a House seat was too close to call Tuesday night—but that didn't stop Republicans from declaring victory in an Ohio district they've held since 1983, the
reports. GOP state Sen. Troy Balderson was 1,754 votes ahead of...
Longshot's Campaign Has
One Unusual Advantage
Jul 20, 2018 2:13 PM CDT
Longshot's Campaign Has One Unusual Advantage
Ron Estes shares his name with the incumbent Kansas Republican he wants to unseat
- What's in a name? A lot if you're an incumbent candidate running for national office, and perhaps even more if you're a challenger who happens to share the same name as that incumbent. Such is the case for Ron M. Estes, who is running in Kansas' 4th...
VP's Brother Is Frontrunner
in Indiana GOP Race
May 8, 2018 12:13 AM CDT
VP's Brother Is Frontrunner in Indiana GOP Race
Greg Pence is seeking brother's former House seat
- The brother of Vice President Mike Pence is hoping his famous name and backing from other top Republicans will lift him to victory Tuesday in an Indiana congressional primary against an entrepreneur who mostly self-funded his campaign. Columbus businessman Greg Pence has never held public office. Still, he's considered...
After 2 Wins,
Rogue Dem Blocks
Takeover of NY Senate
Apr 25, 2018 1:57 AM CDT
After 2 Wins, Rogue Dem Blocks Takeover of NY Senate
And Republicans hold on to House seat in Arizona
- After two special elections in New York on Tuesday, Democrats have control of the state Senate—on paper. In reality, Republicans remain in control thanks to rogue Democrat Simcha Felder, who has caucused with the GOP since soon after he was elected and says he doesn't plan to change...
Conor Lamb Declares
Victory in Pennsylvania
Mar 14, 2018 3:07 AM CDT
Conor Lamb Declares Victory in Pennsylvania
'It took a little longer than we thought, but we did it'
- It is still officially too close to call , but Conor Lamb has declared an against-the-odds Democratic victory in the special election in Pennsylvania's 18th District. He was introduced as "Congressman-elect Lamb" at a Hilton Inn campaign party, even as officials were counting hundreds of absentee ballots, the
Could Go to Recount
Mar 14, 2018 12:02 AM CDT
Closely Watched Pennsylvania Election Could Go to Recount
Conor Lamb is just a few hundred votes ahead of Rick Saccone
- The closely watched special election in Pennsylvania's 18th District was still too close to call at midnight Tuesday, with only around 600 votes separating Democrat Conor Lamb from Republican Rick Saccone and plenty of absentee ballots still uncounted. President Trump carried the district by 20 points in 2016 and...
Why the 'World Is Watching'
One Pennsylvania District
Mar 13, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Why the 'World Is Watching' One Pennsylvania District
Rick Saccone goes up against Conor Lamb in a special election in the 18th District
- Taking southwestern Pennsylvania's 18th District was a cakewalk for Donald Trump: He snagged the district by 20 percentage points, reports CNBC . It was similarly a breeze for former GOP Rep. Tim Murphy, who won in 2014 and 2016 without even facing a Democratic challenger. But reports that Murphy urged...
Democrat Scores Big Win
in Heavily Pro-Trump District
Feb 21, 2018 1:09 AM CST
Democrat Scores Big Win in Heavily Pro-Trump District
Republican's widow lost bid for his seat
- Two widows of lawmakers ran for the Kentucky House seat vacated by the suicide of Rep. Dan Johnson , and the Democrat won by a landslide. Linda Belcher defeated Republican candidate Rebecca Johnson by a 37-point margin, marking a massive 86-point swing in a district that President Trump carried by 49...
Upset Win in Florida
Feb 14, 2018 5:22 AM CST
Democrat Scores Upset Win in Florida
Republicans outnumber Dems in district by 12K
- A Democrat has won a closely watched Florida House special election in a legislative district that President Trump carried in 2016. Uncertified results from the Sarasota County elections office show that Margaret Good took more than 52% of the vote in Tuesday's race, while Republican James Buchanan had nearly...
Given the Win
Dec 28, 2017 3:00 PM CST
Judge Quashes Moore Suit, Jones Officially Given the Win
Doug Jones certified as winner of Dec. 12 special election, despite Moore complaint of voter fraud
- Despite an 11
-hour effort by Roy Moore to keep Doug Jones from officially being declared the winner of a seat on the US Senate, Alabama's election officials did just that Thursday, with Jones calling it a "new chapter" for the Yellowhammer State. Per
, the Alabama State...
Roy Moore Sues to
Block Election Result
Dec 28, 2017 6:36 AM CST
Roy Moore Sues to Block Election Result
Last-minute complaint alleges voter fraud
- Roy Moore has been called many things—but nobody can accuse him of being a quitter. The Republican, who refused to concede after losing the Dec. 12 special Senate election in Alabama, has filed a last-minute complaint to try to block state officials from certifying the victory of Democratic candidate...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.