Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Kansas Pulls Off
Apr 5, 2022 12:14 AM CDT
Kansas Pulls Off Biggest-Ever NCAA Championship Comeback
Erases 16-point deficit to win the title
- What looked like a lost cause turned into one of the sweetest wins ever for Kansas. The Jayhawks brought their fourth NCAA title back to Allen Fieldhouse on Monday thanks to a second-half flurry that erased a 16-point deficit and eventually overcame North Carolina 72-69 in an epic battle of...
Run Is Over
Mar 27, 2022 9:39 PM CDT
Saint Peter's Incredible March Madness Run Is Over
New Jersey school loses to North Carolina
- Saint Peter's coach Shaheen Holloway pulled his starters off the court as the seconds ticked down and would not let them wallow in defeat. The Peacocks locked arms for one final team huddle—Doug Edert, KC Ndefo, Daryl Banks III and the rest of the bracket-busters who put the...
'The Greatest Cinderella
in NCAA Tournament History'
Mar 20, 2022 8:04 AM CDT
'The Greatest Cinderella in NCAA Tournament History'
The reference is to the Saint Peter's Peacocks; other moments from the first games
- For those focused purely on the brackets, the big news out of Saturday's games was that the first No. 1 seed has fallen. Baylor was upset by the University of North Carolina, 93-86. ESPN has all the details.
Those who like underdog tales will be happy to learn
Watch a Shot for the Ages
Apr 4, 2021 8:13 AM CDT
Watch a Shot for the Ages
Jalen Suggs' buzzer-beater puts Gonzaga in the national championship
- Even those who don't buy into March Madness can appreciate the moment. Gonzaga's Jalen Suggs entered college basketball lore Saturday night by sinking a buzzer-beating 55-footer against UCLA to put his team into the national championship. Watch it here . At ESPN , Jeff Borzello calls "it one of...
NCAA Wants to Put
Madness in Single Place
Nov 16, 2020 7:25 PM CST
NCAA Wants to Put Madness in Single Place
Environment would be less than a bubble, and the Final Four teams will spend a month in host city
- There will be no NCAA men's basketball tournament games played in Dayton, Raleigh, or any of the 11 other sites expecting to host teams in 2021—and collect the revenue that comes with them. But there will be a tournament, the NCAA said Monday. All 68 tournament games instead...
NCAA Has Big News
About March Madness
Mar 11, 2020 4:22 PM CDT
NCAA Has Big News About March Madness
NCAA President Mark Emmert closes tournament games due to the coronavirus
- NCAA President Mark Emmert says NCAA Division I basketball tournament games will not be open to the general public because of concerns about the spread of coronavirus, the AP reports. Emmert said in a statement Wednesday that he made the decision to conduct both the men's and women's...
UVA Is National
Apr 9, 2019 4:03 AM CDT
Historic Loss, Then Redemption: UVA Is National Champion
Cavaliers beat Texas Tech in overtime
- Last year, the University of Virginia became the only top seed to fall to a No. 16 in the history of the NCAA Tournament. This year, redemption. Virginia won the first men's basketball championship in school history Monday night, getting a career-high 27 points from De'Andre Hunter and...
Watch the Crazy Finish
That Decides Final Four Game
Apr 7, 2019 12:01 AM CDT
Watch the Crazy Finish That Decides Final Four Game
Virginia beats Auburn with 3 free throws, will play Texas Tech for championship
- The University of Virginia will play Texas Tech in Monday's NCAA title game thanks to a crazy finish in Virginia's game against Auburn. (See the video .) With his team trailing 62-60, Virginia's Kyle Guy put up a last-second 3-point shot. He missed, but a foul...
Nobody Filling Out
an NCAA Bracket
Mar 26, 2019 7:42 AM CDT
Nobody Filling Out an NCAA Bracket Has Ever Done This
Gregg Nigl of Ohio is perfect through 48 games. And he had no idea
- Of the millions of people who have filled out March Madness brackets in major contests across the US, only one fan has gotten all 48 games right so far. Pretty impressive. Even more impressive? Nobody has ever done that before in the history of bracket contests, according to NCAA.com...
Coach's Strategy to Bait Player:
Call Him 'Queen'
Mar 25, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Coach's Strategy to Bait Player: Call Him 'Queen'
But Oregon's Louis King has the last laugh with victory over UC Irvine
- The Sweet 16 is set, and one of those 16 is Oregon, which easily beat UC Irvine 73-54 despite the losing coach's name-calling strategy. As the
reports, Irvine coach Russell Turner kept referring to Oregon freshman Louis King as "queen" during the game. But, he swears it...
There's a Reason Urologists
Are Busy This Time of Year
Mar 22, 2019 11:01 AM CDT
There's a Reason Urologists Are Busy This Time of Year
More men get vasectomies during March Madness
- Pity the urologist who loves college basketball—he may not get much time to enjoy March Madness. Urologists around the country report an uptick in vasectomies this time of year—because men can recover by sitting on the couch and watching basketball. Stories in the
of Ohio, the...
After FSU Victory, a
Heartbreaking Phone Call
Mar 22, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
After FSU Victory, a Heartbreaking Phone Call
Forward Phil Cofer learned his father, a former NFL player, had died after long illness
- March Madness joy followed by heartbreak: Florida State senior forward Phil Cofer watched his team take victory over Vermont on Thursday only to learn immediately after the game that his father had died. Media were enjoying an open locker room period following the 76-69 win in the first round of...
390K a Shot at
$1M a Year for Life
Mar 20, 2019 7:13 AM CDT
Buffett Gives 390K a Shot at $1M a Year for Life
March Madness challenge limited to Berkshire Hathaway employees
- Warren Buffett is offering $1 million a year for life in his March Madness bracket challenge—but this year, only Berkshire Hathaway's 390,000 employees are eligible. Employees will need to correctly guess which NCAA Division I teams make the Sweet 16—"assuming nobody else wins at the...
NCAA Title to
Be a Slugfest
Apr 1, 2018 5:35 AM CDT
Cinderella Vanquished, NCAA Title to Be a Slugfest
Villanova is just dropping unstoppable 3-point bombs, will take on Michigan in final
- Michigan has shored up the deficiency that always held it back, becoming one of the nation's best defensive teams, not one of its worst. This new-found stinginess has the Wolverines within reach of their first national title since Glen Rice and Rumeal Robinson rumbled through the bracket in 1989,...
Your Final Four:
3 Giants, 1 Underdog
Mar 25, 2018 8:06 PM CDT
Your Final Four: 3 Giants, 1 Underdog
Loyola-Chicago still in the hunt, along with Kansas, Villanova, and Michigan
- Three teams that need no introduction. One from out of nowhere. Though the 2018 NCAA Tournament produced the biggest upset in the history of the event along with a seemingly endless string of wild finishes and unexpected results, the Final Four will look very much like it has over the...
It's the 'Most Surprising Upset
in College Basketball History'
Mar 17, 2018 5:36 AM CDT
It's the 'Most Surprising Upset in College Basketball History'
University of Maryland-Baltimore County trounced Virginia 74-54
- Jairus Lyles couldn't suppress a smile, knowing that a school known more for chess than hoops had finally made it happen—a 16 ousting a 1 in March Madness. The University of Maryland-Baltimore County stunned the sports world by pulling off the most surprising upset in college basketball history,...
Monday's Title Game
Should Be a Brawl
Apr 2, 2017 5:44 AM CDT
Monday's Title Game Should Be a Brawl
Powerhouses UNC, Gonzaga are stacked with giant, veteran players
- Their pedigrees are different, but both teams are loaded with veterans. Both have some heft in the middle. When Gonzaga meets North Carolina for the NCAA national championship on Monday night, it could be quite a brawl, reports the AP . "They're big just like us and they match...
Mar 26, 2017 3:48 PM CDT
In Upset, South Carolina Heading to Final Four
Beats Florida to reach Final Four for first time
- South Carolina has completed its surprise run to the Final Four, the AP reports. The seventh-seeded Gamecocks held on down the stretch to beat 4-seed Florida 77-70 in the East Region final in New York Sunday. The Gamecocks' tournament run included upsets of 2-seed Duke—the preseason No. 1-ranked team—...
First 1-Seed Bounced
From NCAA Tourney
Mar 18, 2017 4:53 PM CDT
First 1-Seed Bounced From NCAA Tourney
Wisconsin stuns Villanova
- Top-seeded Villanova was bounced from the NCAA Tournament by eighth-seeded Wisconsin, which overcame foul trouble for two of its stars in the second half Saturday to upset the defending champions 65-62 in the East region, the AP reports. Nigel Hayes scored 19 points, dropping a layup in traffic with 11....
Proud March Madness Mom:
Mar 17, 2017 7:42 AM CDT
Proud March Madness Mom: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Her son, Charlie, plays for Northwestern
- The fact that Julia Louis-Dreyfus' son helped her alma mater, Northwestern, make it into the NCAA March Madness bracket for the first time was a victory in itself. But then the No. 8 seed in the West actually won. Cameras caught Louis-Dreyfus, 56, looking awestruck and mouthing the words "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
US Downs Chinese Balloon Off South Carolina Coast
Now There's a 2nd Balloon, per Pentagon
This Reporter Followed George Santos Around for 16 Hours
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
2 Arrested After Shooting That Left 6 Dead, Including Infant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.