Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Feb 1, 2023 6:40 PM CST
Another State May Prohibit Using 'Latinx'
Connecticut Democrat says term offends those of Puerto Rican descent
- A group of Hispanic lawmakers in Connecticut has proposed that the state follow Arkansas' lead and ban the term "Latinx" from official government documents, calling it offensive to Spanish speakers. The word is used as a gender-neutral alternative to "Latino" and "Latina" and is helpful in supporting...
Long Before Salem Witch Trials,
Alse Young Was Hanged
Feb 1, 2023 9:07 AM CST
Long Before Salem Witch Trials, Alse Young Was Hanged
Connecticut considers exonerating all its accused witches centuries later
- Decades before the infamous Salem witch trials in Massachusetts, Alse Young was killed at the gallows in Connecticut, becoming the first person on record to be executed in the American colonies for witchcraft. The Windsor town clerk registered the death on May 26, 1647, in a diary entry that read:...
State Bills Seek to Prevent
Kangaroos Becoming Shoes
Jan 24, 2023 1:09 PM CST
State Bills Seek to Prevent Kangaroos Becoming Shoes
Activists say 70% of kangaroo skins sold end up in high-end soccer cleats
- Oregon and Connecticut are considering bans on the sale of products made from kangaroos, while a similar bill awaits debate in the US House. Oregon lawmakers have joked that the proposal could "bounce" to the state House or land in "kangaroo court," per Oregon Public Broadcasting . But...
Man Gets 72 Years for 1984
Crimes He Says He Can't Recall
Jan 10, 2023 2:09 PM CST
Man Gets 72 Years for 1984 Crimes He Says He Can't Recall
Michael Sharpe, who claims memory issues, sexually assaulted 4 women, prosecutors said
- A 71-year-old Connecticut man who received the maximum sentence of 40 to 72 years in prison for kidnapping four women in 1984 apologized in court Monday, despite saying he had no recollection of his crimes. "I don’t know what happened," said Michael Sharpe, whom police identified as...
Man Finds Surprise Guest
Hibernating Under His Deck
Jan 10, 2023 7:55 AM CST
Man Finds Surprise Guest Hibernating Under His Deck
Connecticut family is letting black bear 'Marty Bearnard' stay until his monthslong rest is over
- Looking for a comfy place to hunker down for the winter is the prime goal for many creatures as the temperatures start to dip. For one black bear on the East Coast, the perfect spot emerged in Connecticut—under Vinny Dashukewich's deck. The Plainville man tells the
Being Sworn In,
Lawmaker Killed in Crash
Jan 6, 2023 2:06 AM CST
Hours After Being Sworn In, Lawmaker Killed in Crash
Quentin Williams of Connecticut hit by wrong-way driver
- On his way home from his inaugural ball, a Connecticut state representative's vehicle was struck by a wrong-way driver, killing the lawmaker early Thursday. Quentin Williams, 39, who was first elected in 2019 and had just been sworn in for his third term Wednesday, was driving south on Route...
Somehow, a Driver
Survived This Crash
Dec 30, 2022 4:05 PM CST
Somehow, a Driver Survived This Crash
Video and images from scene of Connecticut accident show guardrail that impaled vehicle
- Looking at these images from a car accident last week along a Connecticut highway, your first thought will likely be, "Well, that doesn't look good." Officials from a local fire department near Hartford, however, say the driver is A-OK, despite a guardrail that impaled the car and...
Man Who Stood Up Wife at
Airport Found 10 Years Later
in case you missed it
Dec 11, 2022 4:01 PM CST
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Robert Hoagland, who moved from Connecticut to NY and changed his name, died Monday
- Almost a decade ago, Connecticut police were called to check on a man who'd failed to pick up his wife from the airport. Officers found Robert Hoagland's wallet, cellphone, and blood-pressure medication, but Hoagland himself had seemingly disappeared without a trace, reports NBC News . Over the ensuing years,...
These Are the Best,
Worst States for Jobs
Nov 30, 2022 4:11 PM CST
These Are the Best, Worst States for Jobs
Washington tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia comes in last
- After a tumultuous couple of years marred by the pandemic, the job market is looking up, with many employers eagerly seeking new workers for their payrolls. Conditions for the job hunt are better in some states than in others, and WalletHub is here to break it all down. The site...
in Voyeurism Case
Nov 30, 2022 11:40 AM CST
Socialite Sentenced in Voyeurism Case
Connecticut's Hadley Palmer gets a year in prison, 20 years of probation
- A wealthy Connecticut socialite has been sentenced to a year in prison after pleading guilty to voyeurism and child endangerment. Hadley Palmer, 54, could have faced a maximum of five years. Under a plea deal, she has already served 90 days in a state prison. Few details on the case...
Charges Dropped Against
Man Paralyzed in Police Van
Oct 23, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
Charges Dropped Against Man Paralyzed in Police Van
Randy Cox's arrest is under investigation
All criminal charges against Randy Cox have been dropped, reports the
, a move that comes four months after the 36-year-old ended up paralyzed from the neck down after hitting his head against the wall of a police van that was taking him to a detention center on illegal...
Connecticut Boy, 10,
Mauled by Bear in Backyard
Oct 17, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Connecticut Boy, 10, Mauled by Bear in Backyard
Grandfather rolled wheelchair over, threw metal bar at animal
- A 10-year-old boy in Connecticut is recovering from injuries sustained in a terrifying bear attack Sunday morning. The boy was playing in his grandparents' backyard in Morris, about 45 miles southwest of Hartford, when the black bear attacked him and tried to drag him away, CBS reports. Grandfather James Butler,...
Bodycam Footage Shows
Injured Cop Kill Suspect
Oct 17, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
Bodycam Footage Shows Injured Cop Kill Suspect
Officer Alec Iurato fired a single, fatal shot
- In agony due to a gunshot wound from an ambush that had just killed two comrades , a Connecticut police officer’s bodycam shows him hobbling back behind a police cruiser and firing a single bullet at the suspect. Investigators say the shot was fatal. “Shots fired, shots fired, more...
Before 911 'Ambush,' Caller
Reportedly Kicked Out of Bar
Oct 14, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
Before 911 'Ambush,' Caller Reportedly Kicked Out of Bar
2 officers were fatally shot after bogus 911 call to lure them to the scene, say police
: Police in Connecticut believe two officers killed in Bristol Wednesday were shot after a 911 call was placed in a "deliberate act to lure law enforcement to the scene," the
New York Times
reports. Investigators believe Nicholas Brutcher, 35, made the call about a domestic dispute with...
For a Minute-Plus,
He Was Tased
by Cop. 4 Days
Later, He Died
Sep 28, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
For a Minute-Plus, He Was Tased by Cop. 4 Days Later, He Died
Conn. police conducting internal probe after Ryan Marzi's death following trooper encounter
- An obituary for Ryan Marzi notes that he "passed away unexpectedly in his sleep" in August, but an encounter he had with Connecticut state troopers just four days before his death is now under investigation. Per the
, two troopers, Desmond Stimson and Jessie Rainville, had responded to...
This Is the Happiest
State in America
Sep 20, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest State in America
Hawaii tops WalletHub's list; West Virginia lands at the bottom
- Happiness is said to be a state of mind—but what state you're in could affect that state. WalletHub wanted to find out where people in the US are at their most content, especially in the wake of the worst of the pandemic and amid new stressors like inflation....
Here Are the Best, Worst
States to Have a Kid
Aug 9, 2022 9:35 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst States to Have a Kid
Massachusetts is the No. 1 state, in WalletHub's assessment; Alabama comes in last
- If you're thinking of starting a family, or want to expand the one you have, there are some US states that may be better than others, from the birthing process onward. WalletHub looked at nearly three dozen metrics for all 50 states and DC, in four main categories: cost,...
Ranks No. 1
Aug 1, 2022 12:35 PM CDT
This State's Health Care Ranks No. 1
Rhode Island tops WalletHub's list; Mississippi comes in last
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services estimates that the average American spends more than $12,000 annually on health care—and that's not even counting the costs incurred by COVID. That's why it's beneficial, if possible, to set down roots in a place where you can...
Cops: They Didn't Thank
Him for Holding the Door.
So He Pulled a Gun
Jul 19, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Cops: They Didn't Thank Him for Holding the Door. So He Pulled a Gun
Connecticut man has been arrested and charged
- Joshua Murray held the door for two women at a Family Dollar store in Connecticut on Saturday afternoon and got upset, customers say, when they didn't thank him.
upset. Murray, 25, is accused of brandishing a gun in his anger and pointing it at multiple customers, the
Dolphin Makes Wrong Turn,
Ends Up in Connecticut River
Jul 17, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Dolphin Makes Wrong Turn, Ends Up in Connecticut River
Wildlife officials monitoring, but hope it makes it back to ocean on its own
- A wayward dolphin has been swimming in a Connecticut river after making its way upstream from Long Island Sound. The dolphin was first spotted Thursday morning by fishermen along the Thames River. A video posted on social media shows the dolphin jumping around near the Norwich Marina, about 15 miles...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old Who Vanished While Camping Is Found Safe
Crews Cleaning Storm Debris May Have Solved a Cold Case
In Rare Move, Thomas Recuses Himself From Case
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
Predator Vigilante Fatally Shot in Restaurant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.