Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Man Bursts Into Flames
After Cop Tases Him
Oct 27, 2022 11:51 AM CDT
Man Bursts Into Flames After Cop Tases Him
Christopher Gaylor, who Arkansas cops say was carrying gasoline in backpack, will be OK
- An Arkansas biker is expected to survive after he was tased earlier this month by police and burst into flames. Citing a release from Arkansas State Police, CNN reports that the incident took place in the early morning hours of Oct. 13 in Little Rock, when a cop tried to...
'It's Like Those Guys Were
Destined to Go to Jail'
Apr 10, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
'It's Like Those Guys Were Destined to Go to Jail'
LA deputies say van with stolen catalytic converters crashed into police vehicle
- Thefts of catalytic converters from vehicles are on the rise across the US as criminals attempt to cash in on the precious metals they contain. Near Los Angeles, the trend just resulted in a pair of unusual arrests. The Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station says deputies were chasing a...
Woman Caused Fatal Crash,
Lied About Carjacking: Police
Mar 6, 2022 5:35 PM CST
Woman Caused Fatal Crash, Lied About Carjacking: Police
Officer and retired firefighter were killed in chase
- A New Mexico woman was arrested after authorities say she caused a crash that killed an officer and retired firefighter and then lied about having been kidnapped. Jeannine Jaramillo, 46, faces charges including two counts of first-degree murder, authorities said Saturday. After a pursuit, the crash Wednesday on Interstate 25...
Police Chase Proves Fatal
for Suspect, Detective
Dec 2, 2021 2:25 PM CST
Police Chase Proves Fatal for Suspect, Detective
They collided head-on in a suburb of St. Louis
- A police detective and a suspect died in a head-on collision of their vehicles near St. Louis following a police attempt to stop the suspect’s car, authorities said. The crash happened Wednesday afternoon after officers with the St. Louis County Police Department's drug unit tried to stop a...
Video Shows Suspect
Dive From 55-Foot Bridge
Nov 4, 2021 4:49 AM CDT
Video Shows Suspect Dive From 55-Foot Bridge
Florida man was picked up by police boat
- Like the fugitive in
, a Florida man fleeing law enforcement survived a jump into water from a great height—but unlike the character played by Harrison Ford in the 1993 movie, Bryan Gray was quickly captured. Police say the 34-year-old dived from the Fort Myers-area Edison Bridge into...
Guy Who Led Cops
on Low-Speed Chase
Tells a Familiar Tale
Oct 19, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Guy Who Led Cops on Low-Speed Chase Tells a Familiar Tale
Man suspected of stealing tow truck said bomb would blow up if he stopped, a la 'Speed'
- A man in a tow truck led police on an extremely slow chase through the streets of San Diego on Monday, never hitting speeds over 10mph. The pursuit began around 7:45pm as police went after an allegedly stolen tow truck. Over the course of an hour, officers followed the...
Man Tries to Show Off on
First Date, Ends Up Arrested
Sep 1, 2021 10:47 AM CDT
Man Tries to Show Off on First Date, Ends Up Arrested
Taylor Beverly allegedly drove his motorcycle at speeds over 100mph
- A Florida man who "drove well over 100mph" on his motorcycle in a bid to escape police told officers he was trying to show off for his passenger, as it was their first date. That's according to Clearwater Police, who say 22-year-old Taylor Beverly ran a red light...
Teen Who Filmed
Floyd's Murder Has
Jul 7, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
Teen Who Filmed Floyd's Murder Has Distressing News
Darnella Frazier says her uncle was killed in crash while Minneapolis cops were chasing someone else
- The teen awarded a Pulitzer Prize special citation for her recording of George Floyd's murder says her uncle has died in an interaction with police. "Minneapolis police killed my uncle ... nothing feels real," Darnella Frazier, 18, wrote Tuesday on Facebook, per NBC News , noting police "took...
Chase Leaves Suspect
Dead, 3 Officers Shot
Apr 12, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Chase Leaves Suspect Dead, 3 Officers Shot
Pursuit began when a driver was clocked at 111mph on a Georgia interstate
- A police chase of a speeding driver in Georgia early Monday ended with three officers wounded and a suspect killed. Another suspect was arrested, ABC reports. The chase began about 3:30am, after a state trooper clocked a car going 111mph on an interstate in Carroll County, about 50 miles...
State Settles Over Crushing
of Pot Suspect With Bulldozer
Mar 16, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
State Settles Over Crushing of Pot Suspect With Bulldozer
Pennsylvania contends man was high and crawled under the machine
- The state of Pennsylvania will pay $475,000 to the estate of a man who died underneath a bulldozer that state police had used to chase him for growing a handful of marijuana plants, according to a settlement revealed in court Thursday. Gregory Longenecker, a 51-year-old short-order cook, had fled...
Dec 15, 2020 11:45 AM CST
Cops: Robber's Weapon of Choice Was a Needle
Massachusetts woman claimed needle was infected with AIDS, say police
- Police say a woman managed to rob a convenience store with a needle she claimed was infected with AIDS before leading officers on a car chase, reports MassLive . It remains unclear whether the needle was actually infected. Raynham Police responded to a convenience store about 6pm Monday after reports that...
100mph Police Chase
Ends at Cliff's Edge
Jul 1, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
100mph Police Chase Ends at Cliff's Edge
Carjacking suspect drove right off the precipice and into the Pacific Ocean in Santa Cruz, Calif.
- A police chase this week in California led to a carjacking suspect plunging over the side of a cliff in the vehicle he was driving—and living to tell the tale. In a statement cited by NBC News , the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office says a report came in...
Driver Doesn't Survive
337-Foot Jump Over River
Jan 23, 2020 7:38 AM CST
Driver Doesn't Survive 337-Foot Jump Over River
David Callahan of Fresno, Calif., cleared the river but his vehicle rolled
- A California man fleeing police managed to hurtle his car some 340 feet across a river, in a move out of
Dukes of Hazzard
, though he paid with his life. The driver, identified as 58-year-old David Callahan, was pronounced dead after police caught up with his battered Mercedes sedan. Callahan...
4 Shot Dead After
UPS Truck Hijacked
Dec 6, 2019 4:00 AM CST
4 Shot Dead After UPS Truck Hijacked
Cops chased suspects for 20 miles
- Four people were shot dead after a robbery and truck hijacking came to a bloody end at an intersection in Miramar, south Florida. FBI Special Agent in Charge George Piro says the two robbery suspects, a UPS driver, and a person in a nearby vehicle were killed in a shootout...
He Saw the Speeding Car. He
Knew His SUV Could Stop It
in case you missed it
Nov 17, 2019 10:15 AM CST
He Saw the Speeding Car. He Knew His SUV Could Stop It
Erick Marciano hailed as a hero for saving pedestrians during police chase in Montreal
- A quick-thinking dad of three is being called a hero after throwing his Mercedes SUV in the path of a speeding car. The CBC and
report Erick Marciano, 48, was on his way to a meeting Tuesday shortly after noon when he saw a Honda speed through a...
Police Dumped in Water
Arrest Their Rescuers
Oct 6, 2019 8:54 AM CDT
Police Dumped in Water Arrest Their Rescuers
Drug trafficking suspects stopped fleeing after boats collided
- A boat chase in the Mediterranean ended with an odd twist after a police boat collided with the boat of the suspected drug traffickers they were chasing, sending three cops into the water. The four suspects, however, pulled the unhurt officers to safety—and then were arrested for their trouble....
Cops On Her Tail,
Cow Takes Shelter
Mar 19, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
Cops On Her Tail, Cow Takes Shelter at Chick-Fil-A
Runaway bovine is back home after chase in Indiana
- Well, this little bovine wasn't about to go to Burger King. A cow got loose from a trailer in Indiana on Saturday and took off for the nearest Chick-Fil-A, where the animal was then seen sticking its tongue out at officers. A video viewed more than 1.1 million...
Police Chase Ends in River,
With Toddler Among the Dead
Jan 3, 2019 12:50 AM CST
Police Chase Ends in River, With Toddler Among the Dead
Her pregnant mom also died in Milwaukee chase
- A toddler, her young mother, and a man died when their vehicle drove into a frigid river while being chased by police in Milwaukee. Surveillance video shows the vehicle speeding and the driver losing control before the SUV crashed into the Kinnickinnic River on Monday night, the AP reports. It'...
Wanted Man Dies After
Chase Through Fire Zone
Nov 16, 2018 7:49 AM CST
Wanted Man Dies After Chase Through Fire Zone
Parolee reportedly brandished metallic object
- A man who lost his life in the area of the Camp Fire succumbed not to flames but to bullet wounds. An "armed and dangerous wanted parolee" led police on a high-speed chase Thursday and was ultimately shot and killed, Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey says, per the...
After House Awarded to Ex,
Man Tries to Kill Her
Sep 20, 2018 1:40 PM CDT
After House Awarded to Ex, Man Tries to Kill Her
'Extremely tense' day in Pa. ends with suspect, his parents dead
- The hunt for a Pennsylvania man who cops say shot at his ex-wife, then gunned down his elderly parents on Wednesday is over. Chester County District Attorney Tom Hogan told reporters Thursday that 59-year-old Bruce Rogal had crashed his minivan into his ex-wife's home earlier that morning, and that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.