Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Want to Live Where the
Cool Kids Are? Try Here
Oct 28, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Want to Live Where the Cool Kids Are? Try Here
'Time Out' does a global neighborhood ranking
- In every city, locals know where the hot spots are: the best eateries, the hippest watering holes, the most happening cultural events.
has posted its sixth annual roundup of the coolest neighborhoods in the world, based on input from more than 12,000 city dwellers and input from...
Amsterdam Doesn't Want
More Cruise Tourists
Jul 21, 2023 9:45 AM CDT
Amsterdam Doesn't Want More Cruise Tourists
Cruise ships are being banned from city center
- Amsterdam is trying to reduce the number of tourists that visit the city—especially cruise ship tourists, who have been likened to a "plague of locusts" by city council member Ilana Rooderkerk. The council has voted to ban cruise ships from docking in the city center and to close...
Young British Men
to Bugger Off
Mar 29, 2023 12:00 PM CDT
Amsterdam Tells Young British Men to Bugger Off
Ads warn young men against misbehaving in the city working to reframe its image
- Amsterdam is taking efforts to scrub away its party image to a new level, with ads suggesting it won't tolerate those descending on the city for a wild weekend. "Coming to Amsterdam for a messy night? Stay away," states an online ad showing a young man stumbling...
Anne Frank Foundation
Calls Action a Hate Crime
Feb 11, 2023 1:55 PM CST
Anne Frank Foundation Calls Action a Hate Crime
Holocaust trope was projected onto house in Amsterdam
- The mayor of Amsterdam is among those condemning the projection of a debunked Holocaust trope onto the Anne Frank house, calling it "a cowardly and repulsive deed." The text suggested Anne Frank did not write her diary, DutchNews.nl reports. Police are investigating, and Amsterdam's mayor said...
Only One US City
Makes Top 10
Dec 17, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Only One US City Makes Top 10 Travel Destinations
New York squeaks in at No. 10 on Euromonitor International's list; Paris comes in at No. 1
- Recovery from the pandemic for the travel industry is a work in progress, but inbound arrivals around the world increased by more than 80% this year in terms of numbers of trips, CNN notes. That means people are breaking out their passports again, and some cities are drawing travelers in...
Court: Squatters Can Stay in
Oligarch's Amsterdam Home
Nov 23, 2022 1:46 PM CST
Court: Squatters Can Stay in Oligarch's Amsterdam Home
Group moved into sanctioned Russian tech billionaire's mansion last month
- Squatters who moved into the Amsterdam mansion of a Russian tech billionaire last month can stay there for now, a Dutch court has decided. The five-story property in an upmarket neighborhood is owned by Arkady Volozh, co-founder of Yandex, Russia's biggest search engine, the
reports. Heleen over de...
Spiders to Intentionally
Run Wild at Museum
Sep 26, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Spiders to Intentionally Run Wild at Museum
Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum is letting its creepy-crawlies have free reign over venue during exhibit
- At one of Europe's most famous museums, life is definitely imitating art until early next year. "The museum is teeming with animals this season!" promises Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum in its promotion for "Clara and Crawly Creatures," its new exhibit focusing on insects and other creeping...
in Surprising Way
Jul 21, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Art World's 'Indiana Jones' Recovers Relic in Surprising Way
Anonymous person gave to Arthur Brand stolen vials said to hold blood of Christ
- Thieves were inconspicuously locked inside a French church on the evening of June 1. According to police, they burst out the next morning with one of the most cherished Christian relics: two lead vials containing pieces of linen said to be covered in the blood of Jesus Christ—collected in...
80 Years Later, Kandinsky
to Rightful Owners
Mar 1, 2022 2:50 AM CST
80 Years Later, Kandinsky Painting Returned to Rightful Owners
Amsterdam turns painting over to heirs of couple that lost it during WWII
- A Wassily Kandinsky painting sold by a Jewish couple as they fled the Netherlands during the World War II Nazi invasion has now been returned to the couple's heirs. The Russian artist's "Painting With Houses," a 1909 work, had been held in Amsterdam's Stedelijk Museum...
Police: Apple Store Hostage
Forced a Breakthrough
Feb 23, 2022 1:33 PM CST
Police: Apple Store Hostage Forced a Breakthrough
Amsterdam police say man fled, and the suspected gunman chased after him
In the aftermath of a hostage situation at an Apple Store in Amsterdam, details are emerging about the alleged gunman and a man police are framing as a hero. The AP cites Police Chief Frank Paauw as describing the suspect as an armed 27-year-old who demanded he be paid...
Stowaway Found on Plane May
Have Been in Air for 11 Hours
Jan 24, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Stowaway Found on Plane May Have Been in Air for 11 Hours
Man discovered in Amsterdam survived flight that originated in South Africa
- A cargo flight that originated in South Africa had a surprise waiting on board when it finally landed in Amsterdam: a guy hidden in the plane's wheel section, still alive after what may have been 11 hours in the air, per ABC News . "The man was found alive...
Researchers May Have
Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
in case you missed it
Jan 22, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
A 6-year investigation suggests the culprit was a fellow Jew in Amsterdam: Arnold van den Bergh
- It's a question that has long vexed historians: Who gave up Anne Frank and her family to the Nazis? Now, a six-year investigation suggests the culprit has finally been identified. Researchers say the "most likely scenario" is that a man named Arnold van den Bergh, who was Jewish...
This Airport's Secret Weapon
Against Bird Strikes? Pigs
Nov 29, 2021 1:28 PM CST
This Airport's Secret Weapon Against Bird Strikes? Pigs
Officials hope the pigs will eat enough sugar beet near Amsterdam's Schiphol hub to fend off geese
- No one wants their plane to fly into a flock of birds during takeoff, and at one of the Netherlands' busiest hubs, they've come up with a most creative approach to try to prevent such an event. A six-week project has been launched that has stuck pigs on a...
Nov 28, 2021 12:50 PM CST
Netherlands Starts 12-Hour Lockdowns
Restrictions were extended before latest variant was discovered
- The Netherlands moved into a tougher lockdown Sunday that was announced even before the country recorded its first confirmed cases of the new omicron virus variant. Bars, restaurants, nonessential stores, cinemas, and theaters are among the public places now forced to shut from 5pm until 5am, the AP reports. Wilko...
Research May Hold Answer to
the Mystery of Identical Twins
Oct 2, 2021 2:30 PM CDT
Research May Hold Answer to the Mystery of Identical Twins
Scientists find shared marks atop the siblings' DNA
- Scientists may have discovered the key to why some twins are born identical, a milestone that could help develop treatments for congenital disorders that affect identical twins more often. An international team of scientists at Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam found a DNA signature shared by identical twins, the
Murdered Journalist Aided
in Alleged Gang Leader's Trial
Jul 15, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Murdered Journalist Aided in Alleged Gang Leader's Trial
Family announces death of Peter R. de Vries, adviser to a witness in the trial of Ridouan Taghi
- Peter R. de Vries, the renowned Dutch crime reporter shot last week in a brazen attack in Amsterdam , has died, Dutch media reported Thursday. "Peter fought to the end, but was unable to win the battle," RTL, the Dutch network that de Vries regularly worked for, cited a...
City of Canals Tests
Jun 3, 2021 6:30 PM CDT
City of Canals Tests Autonomous Boats
Steering is handled by a remote computer using cameras and sensors
- Electric cars, meet your competition. Electric boats are on the way. Amsterdam didn't have to look very far when searching for a way to ease traffic on its congested streets. The Dutch capital's canals were used for transport long before cars and trucks powered by polluting internal combustion...
Amsterdam Plans to
Move Red Light District
Feb 1, 2021 5:03 PM CST
Amsterdam Plans to Move Red Light District
Sex workers will be shifted to new 'erotic zone' away from the city center
- Dutch lawmakers have given the green light to plans to move sex workers away from Amsterdam's famous red light district. City councilors from several parties supported Mayor Femke Halsema's proposal to move brothels from the alleyways of the city center, where tourists often stopped to gawk at women...
Letter by 2 Great
Artists Sells for
Jun 17, 2020 10:25 AM CDT
Only Known Letter by 2 Great Artists Sells for Big Bucks
1888 letter was written weeks before Van Gogh, Gauguin's relationship soured
- The Vincent Van Gogh Foundation has purchased the only known letter signed by artists Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gauguin at an auction in Paris. The cost of the four sheets of paper: $237,700, per Reuters . The artists penned the letter to fellow painter Emile Bernard in early November...
Why Drug Traffickers Ran
Their Own Phone Company
Nov 17, 2019 2:40 PM CST
Why Drug Traffickers Ran Their Own Phone Company
It's all tied to the murder of Dutch crime blogger Martin Kok
- A Dutch crime blogger got into his Volkswagen Polo one night in 2016 and boom, he was shot dead—a crime that led authorities to a phone company allegedly run by violent criminals, Joseph Cox writes at Vice . Why a phone company? That's what makes it interesting. As for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.