Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Victim Sues Her Bank
Oct 11, 2021 11:02 AM CDT
'Grandparent Scam' Victim Sues Her Bank
Florida widow lost more than $700K, says bank was negligent
- The "grandparent scam" has been around for a while, but the
Tampa Bay Times
reports on one with a particularly large payday and an unusual legal twist. An attorney for 82-year-old Anna Nunn of Florida says his widowed client was bilked of more than $700,000—and she's...
Marking New Event, Pope Says
the Generations Must Connect
Jul 25, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Marking New Event, Pope Says the Generations Must Connect
Francis draws applause in celebrating first World Day for Grandparents and Elderly
- Pope Francis celebrated the Roman Catholic Church's first World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly on Sunday. Francis solicited a round of applause from the faithful in St. Peter's Square and urged people everywhere to reach out to older generations, the AP reports. Francis was supposed to have...
Thanks to Morse
in case you missed it
May 8, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Elderly Couple Escapes Facility Thanks to Morse Code Skills
Husband and wife with dementia, Alzheimer's were found on street 2 blocks from assisted living unit
- On March 2, someone spotted an elderly man and woman wandering the streets of Lebanon, Tenn., and it was soon determined they'd somehow escaped the memory unit of their assisted living facility. Once the pair—a husband and wife who have dementia and Alzheimer's—were safely returned, curious...
'I Don't Know It': Mom With
Dementia Plays Beethoven
Nov 15, 2020 1:30 PM CST
'I Don't Know It': Mom With Dementia Plays Beethoven
For Elaine Lebar, 92, 'life makes sense' at the piano
- Elaine Lebar may have dementia, but she still knows her way around a keyboard—and hasn't forgotten the third movement of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata," TMZ reports. A video of the 92-year-old playing the piece recently became a hit on TikTok. "I don't know it,...
She Begged for Beer While
in Quarantine. She Got It
Apr 14, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
She Begged for Beer While in Quarantine. She Got It
Coors Light sends 10 cases of brew to 93-year-old Olive Veronesi after desperate window plea
- Olive Veronesi has her brewskis. The 93-year-old Pennsylvania woman became famous over the weekend after someone took a photo of her, stuck in coronavirus quarantine, standing in front of her window and holding a can of Coors Light and a sign that read: "I NEED MORE BEER!!" The...
86-Year-Old Dead in Apparent
Mar 30, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
86-Year-Old Dead in Apparent Social-Distancing Dust-Up
This may be NYC's first virus-related assault case
- Tensions are high in New York, considered the epicenter of the US coronavirus outbreak , and now the NYPD is looking into what the
New York Daily News
says may be the city's first social-distancing-related homicide. Cassandra Lundy, a 32-year-old seizure patient at Brooklyn's Woodhull hospital, allegedly hit 86-year-old...
Virus Patient, a 'Truly
Mar 30, 2020 8:21 AM CDT
For 101-Year-Old Virus Patient, a 'Truly Extraordinary' Recovery
'Mr. P' was born in 1919, during the Spanish flu pandemic
New York Post
is calling him a "living marvel," while
deems his case "miraculous." At the very least, a 101-year-old Italian man is making headlines after being released from the hospital after recovering from the coronavirus. CNN reports that "Mr. P" was admitted...
His New Wife Was 50 Years
Younger. Now, an Arrest
Dec 26, 2019 11:35 AM CST
His New Wife Was 50 Years Younger. Now, an Arrest
Lin Halfon accused of trying to swindle elderly husband in Florida
- Looks like the honeymoon is over for a Florida businessman and his new wife—because, per the AP , it looks like the young bride tried to swindle her elderly spouse. The
Tampa Bay Times
has the full story on the arrest of 26-year-old Lin Helena Halfon, who, per court records,...
Noticed His Good
Deed. They Did
in case you missed it
Oct 12, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Cashier Didn't Think Anyone Noticed His Good Deed. They Did
David Vance quietly paid for elderly man's groceries out of his own pocket after the customer's credit card kept getting declined
- David Vance tried to pull off a subtle act of kindness for someone in financial straits last month, but someone noticed, posted about it online, and now the grocery store cashier in Northern Ireland is being hailed around the world. Vance, who works at a Lidl in Belfast, was working...
Senior Accused of Killing
Longtime Pal With Brick
Sep 10, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
Senior Accused of Killing Longtime Pal With Brick
Maryland's Chun Yong Oh charged in Hwa Cha Pak's murder
- A 73-year-old Maryland woman is accused of using a brick to kill her longtime friend and neighbor at what NBC News describes as a senior living facility in Bladensburg. Chun Yong Oh took multiple swipes at 82-year-old Hwa Cha Pak with a brick, according to the Prince George's County...
Man Has Stroke Hours After
70-Something Wife Has Twins
Sep 6, 2019 9:11 AM CDT
Man Has Stroke Hours After 70-Something Wife Has Twins
'It is all in the hands of God,' new dad had said just after girls were born
- For years, Mangayamma Yaramati and her husband deeply longed to have children, but they were never able to conceive—and in their village in India's Andhra Pradesh state, that was a dark mark against them. "They would call me a childless lady," the septuagenarian tells the BBC...
NYC Cops: We Nabbed
Elderly Man Wanted for Years
Sep 6, 2019 7:05 AM CDT
NYC Cops: We Nabbed Elderly Man Wanted for Years
Cops say octogenarian Samuel Sabatino would break into luxury apartments over summer break
- It was the "unassuming demeanor, simple clothes, and large glasses" that police say helped the elderly man pull off his heists: more than $400,000 in jewelry and watches allegedly taken from New York City apartments over the past five years. The
New York Times
reports Samuel Sabatino, variously...
80 Charged in Massive
Love Scam Run Out of LA
Aug 23, 2019 8:54 AM CDT
80 Charged in Massive Love Scam Run Out of LA
Man named Valentine, another Nigerian citizen are accused masterminds of scheme out of California
- The feds say elderly women and businesses were the perpetrators' targets, and that they managed to squeeze at least $6 million out of their victims in what prosecutors are calling "one of the largest cases of its kind in US history." CNN reports on the arrests Thursday of...
Cops Got Calls
of Lewd Conduct
in a Park. They
Busted 6 Seniors
Aug 22, 2019 8:58 AM CDT
Cops Got Calls of Lewd Conduct in a Park. They Busted 6 Seniors
Senior citizens, not high school seniors
- The Grace Richardson Conservation Area in Fairfield, Conn., is where locals go to commune with nature and enjoy the wildlife, though "wild life" may have double meaning for some. Per the
, reports of "lewd and sexual activity" started making their way to police earlier this month....
He Fell in His
5 Days, He
Aug 10, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
He Fell in His Home. For 5 Days, He Survived on One Thing
Elderly man could only reach Cokes on the floor next to him
- Some people drink Coke with their lunch, some as a midday refresher, even some for breakfast in place of warmer caffeinated beverages. For an elderly Virginia man, it was all he consumed for five days straight after a fall in his Arlington home last month, per Fox News . It was...
Bikers Found 2
Dogs. They Were
Barking a Frantic
Jul 23, 2019 8:52 AM CDT
Bikers Found 2 Dogs. They Were Barking a Frantic Message
87-year-old stuck in mud along Potomac River rescued after pups ran for help
- An elderly man in Maryland may want to give his pups an extra treat or two after their barks for help rescued him from mud-mired danger along the Potomac. Per the
and NBC Washington , the 87-year-old was near Little Falls Dam in Montgomery County with his two dogs...
An Elderly Woman
Was Strolling. Then,
a Royal Collision
Jun 19, 2019 9:10 AM CDT
An Elderly Woman Was Strolling. Then, a Royal Collision
83-year-old in serious condition after being hit by motorcycle in William and Kate's convoy
- The royals just can't seem to avoid proximity to car crashes lately. Five months after Prince Philip was in an accident that injured two women , the BBC reports a police motorcycle in the convoy of his grandson, Prince William, and William's wife, Kate, hit an elderly pedestrian Monday...
Woman, 102, Is
May 24, 2019 3:36 AM CDT
Woman, 102, Is Murder Suspect
She told workers at care home that she killed neighbor
- A 102-year-old woman in France could be one of the oldest murderers in history. Police say the woman, who is now being held in a psychiatric hospital, is suspected of killing her 92-year-old neighbor in a care home in Chézy-sur-Marne, the BBC reports. The victim was found dead in...
Cops: Serial Killer With an Eye
for Jewelry Killed 12 in 2 Years
May 17, 2019 9:48 AM CDT
Cops: Serial Killer With an Eye for Jewelry Killed 12 in 2 Years
Billy Chemirmir allegedly targeted elderly women in Texas
- Police in Texas believe they've uncovered one of the state's most prolific serial killers, a man accused of killing 12 women in less than two years. Billy Chemirmir—a citizen of Kenya living in the US illegally, per KTVT —was jailed in March 2018 on suspicions that...
What She Did at 84,
Many Never Do
Dec 16, 2018 2:10 PM CST
What She Did at 84, Many Never Do
Janet Fein felt a sociology degree was 'substantial'
- After raising five kids and retiring at age 77 from her secretarial job, Janet Fein couldn't be blamed for finally relaxing, but that's not her, the AP reports. Fein, now 84, went to back to school and will accomplish a long-held goal this week when she graduates from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Crazy Homecoming Scandal May Result in Serious Jail Time
61 People Have Been Stuck in a Pub Since Friday
A Model Died After an LA Party. Now Her Friend Is Brain-Dead
Fauci Says US Could Face 'Fifth Wave' as Omicron Spreads
After 3 Years, Mystery of Whale Postcards Is Solved
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.