Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
May 21, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
One Dead, Dozens Hurt After 'Catastrophic' Tornado
Michigan declares state of emergency after twister sweeps through Gaylord
- "The town is devastated." That was the assessment Friday of Jordan Awrey, a member of the City Council in Gaylord, after a tornado swept through the Michigan town on Friday, killing one and wreaking havoc on buildings, cars, and other structures. Michigan State Police say 44 people were...
Friday Night Twister
Slams Into Wichita
Apr 30, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Friday Night Twister Slams Into Wichita
And other parts of Kansas, where some homes were 'completely blown away' by twister
- A tornado that barreled through parts of Kansas damaged multiple buildings, injured several people, and left more than 6,500 people without power, officials said Saturday. Officials said the twister moved through parts of southeast Wichita and Andover on Friday evening, per the AP . Andover Fire Chief Chad Russell said...
US Logged Record
Number of March Tornadoes
Apr 11, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
US Logged Record Number of March Tornadoes
National Weather Service counts 218
- If it feels like you've been hearing about tornadoes a lot lately , there's good reason. The National Weather Service says the US logged 218 in March, a record high for the month. The previous mark was 192 in March 2017. As ABC News reports, many of the 2022...
TV Weatherman Calls Kids
on Air With Tornado Warning
Apr 1, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
TV Weatherman Calls Kids on Air With Tornado Warning
Everyone in DC meteorologist Doug Kammerer's home is OK after Thursday storm
- Powerful storms swept through the area around Washington, DC, this week, prompting multiple tornado warnings , but for one local TV weatherman reporting on the extreme conditions, it all hit a little too close to home—literally. Per NPR , Doug Kammerer, the head meteorologist for NBC Washington, was on air Thursday...
House Is in the
Middle of the Street'
Mar 23, 2022 6:35 AM CDT
'Our Neighbor's House Is in the Middle of the Street'
2 are killed, multiple others injured after tornado system hits Texas, Okla., then La., Miss.
- A tornado tore through parts of New Orleans and its suburbs Tuesday night, flipping cars, ripping roofs off homes, and killing at least one person in a region that was pummeled by Hurricane Katrina 17 years ago. Parts of St. Bernard Parish, which borders New Orleans to the southeast, appeared...
Warnings Were Delayed
as Iowa Tornado Approached
Mar 8, 2022 1:06 AM CST
Warnings Were Delayed as Iowa Tornado Approached
But a systems analyst doubts it made much of a difference
- A computer glitch could have turned deadly in Iowa. Before Saturday's tornado outbreak , in which the death toll stands at 7, a government computer system was experiencing an unrelated technical problem that overloaded the network, and National Weather Service warnings were delayed as a result, the
Des Moines Register
Destruction,' a Family
Loses 4 Members
Mar 7, 2022 7:43 AM CST
After 'Unimaginable Destruction,' a Family Loses 4 Members
Tornado in Winterset, Iowa, kills grandma, as well as son-in-law, 2 grandkids visiting from Missouri
- The deadly tornadoes that swept through central Iowa over the weekend caused "unimaginable destruction," per Gov. Kim Reynolds. But for one family, the tragedy hit particularly hard, as four members hiding out in a house in Madison County perished during the storm. KMBC reports that 37-year-old Michael Bolger,...
Storms Bring Damage
In Wide Swaths of South
Jan 2, 2022 6:00 PM CST
Storms Bring Damage In Wide Swaths of South
Some of the areas affected were hit by tornadoes in December
- A line of severe storms damaged homes, knocked out power and downed trees in parts of the southern United States late Saturday into Sunday morning. Authorities closed roads in Hazel Green, Alabama, after power lines came down and homes suffered damage, the AP reports. The Madison County Sheriff's Office...
NWS: Today's 'Historical'
Weather Is Highly Dangerous
Dec 15, 2021 6:50 PM CST
NWS: Today's 'Historical' Weather Is Highly Dangerous
Unprecedented December storm system roars across central US
- Wednesday is a "historical weather day," according to the National Weather Service , with at least 100 million Americans under weather warnings in an area stretching from the West Coast to the Great Lakes. A high wind warning is in place for an area from New Mexico to upper...
Biden Visits Tornado-Hit
Dec 15, 2021 5:53 PM CST
Biden Visits Tornado-Hit Kentucky Towns
He pledges to do 'whatever it takes' to support the state
- President Biden pledged Wednesday pledged to do “whatever it takes, as long as it takes” to help Kentucky and other states after a series of deadly tornadoes that he said left a trail of unimaginable devastation. "You will recover and rebuild," he said. "The scope and...
Baby Seemed Fine After
Tornado. She Wasn't
Dec 14, 2021 6:50 AM CST
Baby Seemed Fine After Tornado. She Wasn't
A number of children were killed in Friday devastation
- When the tornadoes hit Kentucky Friday night, the Koon family sheltered in a bathroom until they were sucked outside and blown across the street by the strong winds. Initially, 2-month-old Oaklynn, whom the family had strapped into her car seat to keep her safer, seemed to have suffered only minor...
Not as Many as Feared
Dead in Candle Factory
Dec 13, 2021 10:35 AM CST
Kentucky Tornado: Not as Many as Feared Dead in Candle Factory
Governor confirms 64 deaths statewide as of Monday morning
As of Monday morning, Kentucky has confirmed 64 deaths from the weekend's tornadoes. Gov. Andy Beshear said that "undoubtedly there will be more," per CNN , perhaps as many as 80. He added that 105 residents of the state remain unaccounted for. Some of the fatalities occurred...
How a 1942 Photo
Flew 130 Miles
Dec 13, 2021 3:24 AM CST
How a 1942 Photo Flew 130 Miles
Kentucky family's photo ends up in Indiana during tornadoes
- There's a happy ending to at least one story coming out of the weekend's devastating tornadoes , Fox News reports. On Saturday, the morning after the storms, Katie Posten walked outside to find an old photograph stuck to the windshield of her car in New Albany, Indiana. She posted...
Died in Warehouse
Dec 13, 2021 12:58 AM CST
Amazon Drivers Died in Warehouse as Tornado Ripped Through
6 dead in Illinois
- Six people died in an Amazon warehouse in Illinois on Friday when six states were hit by a devastating swarm of tornadoes . Austin J. McEwen, 26, was a cargo driver for the company who was sheltering with colleagues in a bathroom when he was killed, Reuters reports. Employees tell the...
Dec 11, 2021 5:50 PM CST
Tornado Survivors Describe Destruction
Rescuers, including inmates, search for survivors as families await word
- Crews were digging through rubble Saturday for survivors after powerful storms and tornadoes tore through six states. The death toll was rising, the
New York Times
reports. Gov. Andy Beshear said that at least 70 people were killed in Kentucky and that the final count could top 100. In Mayfield,...
Dozens Feared Dead
in US Tornadoes
Dec 11, 2021 5:32 AM CST
Dozens Feared Dead in US Tornadoes
Governor in Kentucky says toll may reach 100
- Tornadoes were reported in five states on Friday, and the toll in Kentucky appears to be catastrophic. There, Gov. Andy Beshear tells WLKY that at least 50 people are dead. The other states reporting storms were Arkansas, Illinois, Missouri, and Tennessee, per CNN .
"We believe our death toll from
Tornado Rips Chicago Suburbs
Jun 21, 2021 9:24 AM CDT
Tornado Rips Chicago Suburbs
More than 100 homes damaged, and at least 5 people hospitalized
- A tornado swept through communities in heavily populated suburban Chicago, damaging more than 100 homes, toppling trees, knocking out power, and causing multiple injuries, officials said. At least five people, including a woman who was listed in critical condition, were hospitalized in Naperville, where 16 homes were left “uninhabitable"...
Roll Across South
May 3, 2021 5:59 PM CDT
Storms, Tornadoes Roll Across South
Forecast calls for more severe weather Tuesday
- Severe storms spawning multiple tornadoes moved across the South on Monday, damaging homes and uprooting trees from Mississippi to Kentucky. A tornado spotted in Atlanta forced thousands to seek shelter, and one man was killed when a falling tree brought power lines onto his vehicle. The motorist was pronounced dead...
As He Reported
Live on Tornadoes,
Some Personal Bad News
in case you missed it
Mar 28, 2021 9:01 AM CDT
As He Reported Live on Tornadoes, Some Personal Bad News
James Spann was covering dangerous Alabama twister when he found out his home was in its path
- Alabamians relied this week on local reporting to keep them abreast of the severe weather pummeling their state, including a series of tornadoes that killed at least five. One meteorologist in particular not only offered coverage of the twisters—he found out while on the air that his own home...
Alabama, Killing at Least 5
Mar 26, 2021 12:02 AM CDT
Tornadoes Slam Alabama, Killing at Least 5
And the severe weather in the South is not over
- A string of deadly tornadoes roared through Alabama on Thursday, toppling trees, demolishing homes and knocking out power to thousands, part of a broad swath of violent weather sweeping across the Deep South, the AP reports. At least five fatalities and an unknown number of injuries were reported. The confirmed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.