Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan. 6 Defendants Really
Don't Like the DC Jail
Oct 3, 2022 2:32 PM CDT
Jan. 6 Defendants Really Don't Like the DC Jail
They've asked a court to transfer them to Guantanamo Bay
- A group of Jan. 6 defendants awaiting trial in the District of Columbia jail have asked to be transferred to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where they say the detention facility "actually provides nutritious meals … sunlight exposure, top-notch medical care, is respectful of religious requirements, [and] has centers for exercise/entertainment....
Proud Boy Who Got Near
Aug 29, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Proud Boy Who Got Near Schumer Sentenced
Capitol Police officers submitted victim impact statements in Joshua Pruitt case
- A Proud Boy from whom Sen. Chuck Schumer and his security team had to flee during the attack on the Capitol was sentenced Monday to 55 months in federal prison. Joshua Pruitt, 40, apologized in court for his actions on Jan. 6, 2021, but stuck to his position supporting then-President...
Committee to Show Trump
'Activated' Militia Groups
Jul 12, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Committee to Show Trump 'Activated' Militia Groups
'You'll see the evidence,' Rep. Stephanie Murphy tells CBS
- A former spokesperson for the Oath Keepers—the far-right, anti-government militia group that claims to defend its interpretation of the US Constitution—will testify in front of the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot Tuesday in its seventh hearing and the first since the stunning testimony of former...
Quickly Deletes Op-Ed
Supporting Proud Boys
Jul 11, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Newspaper Publishes, Quickly Deletes Op-Ed Supporting Proud Boys
The Herald-Tribune says it 'erred' in providing a platform to support the far-right group
- Local hubbub involving the Sarasota County School Board and the far-right Proud Boys has trickled into the national media and created a headache for staff at the
Back on June 24, the paper published a guest column by Lisa Gialdini Schurr calling on school board candidates to denounce...
Proud Boy Calls Out Colbert
in Court, Colbert Responds
Jun 16, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Proud Boy Calls Out Colbert in Court, Colbert Responds
Defense argued Jan. 6 trial should be moved because of coverage
- Stephen Colbert noticed that lawyers for a leader of the Proud Boys mentioned him in their attempt to have Joseph Biggs' trial moved from Washington, DC. A defense filing last week asked for a new location because of the "unquestionably spectacular 24/7" coverage of the organization in the media,...
Proud Boys Members Charged
With Seditious Conspiracy
Jun 6, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Proud Boys Members Charged With Seditious Conspiracy
Former leader Enrique Tarrio is among 5 charged
- The former top leader of the far-right Proud Boys extremist group and other members were charged Monday with seditious conspiracy for what federal prosecutors say was a coordinated attack on the Capitol to stop Congress from certifying President Biden's 2020 electoral victory. The latest indictment against Henry "Enrique"...
Proud Boys Leader Reaches
Plea Deal in Capitol Riot
Apr 8, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Proud Boys Leader Reaches Plea Deal in Capitol Riot
Charles Donohoe, who ran the North Carolina chapter, will cooperate with the government after pleading guilty
- A Proud Boys defendant pleaded guilty Friday to two felonies in the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol, becoming the first of the group's leadership to admit guilt and agree to cooperate with the investigation of the organization. Charles Donohoe, who led the North Carolina chapter of the...
Document May Not Bode Well
for Ex-Leader of Proud Boys
Mar 15, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Document May Not Bode Well for Ex-Leader of Proud Boys
It contained a blueprint for riot on Jan. 6, reports 'New York Times'
- When the former leader of the Proud Boys was arrested last week for his alleged role in coordinating the Capitol riot, prosecutors made reference to a document found in his possession. Now the
New York Times
is reporting new details, and they don't appear to bode well for Enrique...
Proud Boys Leader Hit With
Jan. 6 Conspiracy Charge
Mar 8, 2022 2:54 PM CST
Proud Boys Leader Hit With Jan. 6 Conspiracy Charge
Indictment says Enrique Tarrio flouted order to stay out of Washington
- A leader of the far-right Proud Boys extremist group was arrested Tuesday on a conspiracy charge for his suspected role in a coordinated attack on the US Capitol to stop Congress from certifying President Biden’s 2020 electoral victory. Henry "Enrique" Tarrio wasn’t there when the riot erupted...
Proud Boys Leader to Stay
in Jail, Despite the Conditions
Nov 24, 2021 1:56 PM CST
Proud Boys Leader to Stay in Jail, Despite the Conditions
Judge rules solution to the problem isn't to release Enrique Tarrio
: Enrique Tarrio has lost his bid to be released from jail early. A judge has ruled that the Proud Boys leader will not be put on house arrest or have his sentence reduced just because he complained about conditions in the District of Columbia Jail, the
7 Capitol Police Officers
Sue Trump Over Riot
Aug 26, 2021 12:17 PM CDT
7 Capitol Police Officers Sue Trump Over Riot
Lawsuit also names Roger Stone, members of the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers
- Former President Trump just got with another lawsuit over the Capitol riot, this time by officers who were injured by his supporters. The lawsuit also implicates several Trump allies, including Roger Stone and members of the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers.
The lawsuit filed in federal court in
of Proud Boys
Aug 23, 2021 5:11 PM CDT
Judge Doesn't Buy Apology From Leader of Proud Boys
Enrique Tarrio receives jail sentence for burning a Black Lives Matter banner taken from a church
- Enrique Tarrio apologized to a Washington, DC court on Monday for burning a Black Lives Matter banner that had been ripped down from a Black church in Washington. Calling his actions "a grave mistake," the Proud Boys leader told the judge: "I profoundly apologize. I didn't...
DOJ: Messages Suggest
'Alliance' Made Before Jan. 6
Mar 24, 2021 11:05 AM CDT
DOJ: Messages Suggest 'Alliance' Made Before Jan. 6
Filing shows what Kelly Meggs, Florida head of the Oath Keepers, allegedly wrote
- What Politico calls the first evidence indicating there was coordination among far-right groups in the runup to the Jan. 6 Capitol attack emerged via a Tuesday night Justice Department filing that contained Facebook messages written by the Florida head of the Oath Keepers. A sampling of what Kelly Meggs allegedly...
Feb 26, 2021 4:09 PM CST
Leader Calls Proud Boys Scapegoats Over Riot
Enrique Tarrio says he has no sympathy for lawmakers who were attacked in Capitol
- Their leader doesn't support the Proud Boys' joining the Jan. 6 riot at the US Capitol. But "condemn" is too strong a word, Enrique Tarrio said. Either way, he expressed no empathy toward the members of Congress who were under attack. "I'm not gonna cry about...
Trump Is Now Facing a Lawsuit
Over the Capitol Attack
Feb 16, 2021 10:05 AM CST
Trump Is Now Facing a Lawsuit Over the Capitol Attack
Rep. Bennie Thompson and NAACP's suit also names Rudy Giuliani, white supremacist groups
- He was acquitted in his impeachment trial, but Donald Trump now faces threats from the courts in regard to the Capitol riot. On Tuesday, the first such threat from a member of Congress emerged in the form of a lawsuit by Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson of Mississippi, reports Politico . The...
Proud Boys a Terrorist Entity
Feb 3, 2021 2:35 PM CST
Canada Declares Proud Boys a Terrorist Entity
Lawmakers unanimously supported the move
- Five years after Canadian citizen Gavin McInnes founded the Proud Boys, Canada has become the first country to designate the far-right group as a terrorist organization. The group was officially added to Canada's list of terrorist entities Wednesday, along with other far-right groups including the Atomwaffen SS and several...
Proud Boys Leader Was
'Prolific' Police Informant
Jan 27, 2021 1:50 PM CST
Proud Boys Leader Was 'Prolific' Police Informant
Enrique Tarrio was a 'key component' in drug investigations
- Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio said Tuesday that he "doesn't recall" being an informant for federal and state law enforcement—but a former federal prosecutor and court records obtained by Reuters might jog his memory. Vanessa Singh Johannes, the former prosecutor, says that after a 2012 arrest in...
Proud Boys Leader:
'We're Going to
Take a Chill Pill'
Jan 15, 2021 1:00 AM CST
Proud Boys Leader: 'We're Going to Take a Chill Pill'
Henry 'Enrique' Tarrio says group will stay away from DC on Inauguration Day
- The leader of the Proud Boys has been banned from the nation's capital , and now he says the rest of the group is likely to stay away from Washington, DC, as well on Jan. 20. "We’re going to take a chill pill," Henry "Enrique" Tarrio,...
Rittenhouse Hit the Bar
Jan 14, 2021 9:25 AM CST
Prosecutors: Post-Arraignment, Rittenhouse Hit the Bar
Kenosha County DA's office says suspect downed beer, flashed hate sign
- Minutes after Kyle Rittenhouse was arraigned on felony homicide charges , the 18-year-old was downing beer and flashing a hand sign associated with white supremacy at a bar. Surveillance footage shows Rittenhouse arrived with his mother at a tavern in Mount Pleasant, Wis., on Jan. 5, just 90 minutes after he...
Proud Boys Leader
Released, Banned From DC
Jan 5, 2021 6:28 PM CST
Proud Boys Leader Released, Banned From DC
Judge says he can't return until June court appearance
- The leader of the Proud Boys has been ordered out of Washington, DC, a day before members of the far-right group plan to attend pro-President Trump demonstrations. Henry "Enrique" Tarrio, who was arrested Monday for allegedly stealing and burning a historic Black church's Black Lives Matter banner during...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.