Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Longer Sentences for
Proud Boys Leaders
Oct 17, 2023 7:46 AM CDT
Prosecutors Want Longer Sentences for Proud Boys Leaders
Justice Department is appealing sentences of 5 members, including Enrique Tarrio
- The Justice Department is appealing the length of prison sentences for four Proud Boys leaders convicted of seditious conspiracy in the US Capitol attack and one convicted of lesser charges, challenging punishments that were significantly shorter than what prosecutors had recommended, the AP reports, citing court filings. US District Judge...
Like the Other Proud Boys,
Tarrio Was Contrite in Court
Sep 6, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Like the Other Proud Boys, Tarrio Was Contrite in Court
Though some have appeared to reverse that apologetic behavior later
- Like so many other Proud Boys sentenced before him, Enrique Tarrio, the former leader of the far-right group, seemed apologetic when standing before a judge . In some cases, however, those same apparently contrite people have engaged in some seemingly contradictory behavior afterward. A look:
Per CNN and the
Ex-Proud Boys Leader
Gets Longest Capitol Sentence
Sep 5, 2023 5:32 PM CDT
Ex-Proud Boys Leader Gets Longest Capitol Sentence
Enrique Tarrio sentenced to 22 years
- Former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio has been sentenced to 22 years in federal prison—the longest sentence handed down so far in connection with the Capitol riot. He was found guilty on charges including seditious conspiracy in May. Tarrio wasn't at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, but...
Proud Boys' 'Leader on
the Ground' Sentenced
Sep 1, 2023 5:16 PM CDT
Proud Boys' 'Leader on the Ground' Sentenced
Ethan Nordean's prison term equals longest given so far in Jan. 6 attack
- A onetime leader in the Proud Boys far-right extremist group has been sentenced to 18 years in prison for his role in the Jan. 6 riot at the US Capitol, tying the longest sentence imposed so far in the attack. Ethan Nordean was one of several members convicted of spearheading...
Proud Boy Who Broke Window
of Capitol on Jan. 6 Gets Prison
Sep 1, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
Proud Boy Who Broke Window of Capitol on Jan. 6 Gets Prison
Dominic Pezzola apologized, later shouted, 'Trump won!' leaving the courtroom
- "You were the one who smashed that window and let people begin to stream into that Capitol building and threaten the lives of our lawmakers," a federal judge told Dominic Pezzola on Friday as he sentenced the Proud Boy to 10 years in prison. "It's not...
2 Proud Boys Sentenced,
Express Regret for Capitol Riot
Sep 1, 2023 12:03 AM CDT
2 Proud Boys Sentenced, Express Regret for Capitol Riot
Joseph Biggs gets 17 years, Zachary Rehl 15 years
- A second former leader of the Proud Boys was sentenced on Thursday for his role in the Capitol riot. Zachary Rehl received a 15-year sentence, hours after Joseph Biggs got 17 years. The AP reports that Rehl sobbed as he told US District Judge Timothy Kelly he regretted his actions....
Ahead of His Sentencing,
Proud Boy Goes Missing
Aug 19, 2023 7:02 AM CDT
Ahead of His Sentencing, Proud Boy Goes Missing
Christopher Worrell faced 14 years in prison, now has warrant out for his arrest
- A Florida Proud Boy convicted of seven counts in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot was to be sentenced in federal court on Friday, but it appears that Christopher Worrell had better plans. As NBC News reports, Worrell is missing and now has his very own wanted poster courtesy of the...
DOJ Seeks Longest
Sentence Yet for Capitol Riot
Aug 18, 2023 10:34 AM CDT
DOJ Seeks Longest Sentence Yet for Capitol Riot
Enrique Tarrio faces 33 years in longest sentence sought yet by Justice Department for Capitol riot
- The Justice Department is seeking 33 years in prison for Enrique Tarrio, the former Proud Boys leader convicted of seditious conspiracy in one of the most serious cases to emerge from the attack on the US Capitol, according to court documents. The sentence, if imposed, would be by far the...
Rioter Who Pepper-Sprayed
Capitol Officers Sentenced
Jul 7, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Rioter Who Pepper-Sprayed Capitol Officers Sentenced
Prosecutors say Barry Ramey went with Proud Boys on Jan. 6
- A Florida man prosecutors say is affiliated with the Proud Boys extremist group was sentenced on Friday to five years in prison for attacking police officers with pepper spray as they tried to defend the US Capitol against supporters of President Donald Trump on Jan. 6, 2021. Barry Ramey, an...
Oath Keepers Leader Gets
18 Years Over Capitol Riot
May 25, 2023 12:28 PM CDT
Oath Keepers Leader Gets 18 Years Over Capitol Riot
Stewart Rhodes was convicted of seditious conspiracy
- Stewart Rhodes, founder of the far-right Oath Keepers group, received an 18-year sentence Thursday for his role in the Capitol riot. As the AP reports, it's the longest sentence to date over the unrest on Jan. 6, 2021. The 58-year-old, who was convicted in January of seditious conspiracy , described...
DC Officer Accused of Leaking
Info to Proud Boys Leader
May 19, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
DC Officer Accused of Leaking Info to Proud Boys Leader
Shane Lamond allegedly warned Enrique Tarrio about an arrest warrant
- A DC police officer was arrested Friday on charges he lied about leaking confidential information to a leader of the far-right Proud Boys extremist group and obstructed an investigation after group members destroyed a Black Lives Matter banner in the nation's capital. An indictment alleges that Metropolitan Police Department...
Enrique Tarrio of Proud Boys
Is Guilty of Sedition
May 4, 2023 10:28 AM CDT
Enrique Tarrio of Proud Boys Is Guilty of Sedition
Former leaders and others in far-right group are convicted of seditious conspiracy over Capitol riot
- Former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio was convicted on Thursday of orchestrating a plot for members of his far-right extremist group to attack the US Capitol after the 2020 election. A jury in Washington, DC, found Tarrio guilty of seditious conspiracy after hearing from dozens of witnesses over more than...
As Proud Boys Trial Begins,
Defense Points to Trump
Jan 12, 2023 5:10 PM CST
As Proud Boys Trial Begins, Defense Points to Trump
He was 'the prime mover that whipped up the crowd,' says attorney
- Opening statements in one of the biggest trials related to the Capitol riot got underway Thursday in DC, as onetime Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio and four associates attempt to fend off charges of seditious conspiracy . In Thursday's opening arguments:
Tarrio and his men led a coordinated attack
Proud Boys Member
Pleads Guilty to
Oct 6, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Proud Boys Member Pleads Guilty to Seditious Conspiracy
Jeremy Bertino is cooperating with federal investigation of group
- Jeremy Bertino on Thursday became the first Proud Boys leader to enter a guilty plea to a seditious conspiracy charge. Bertino was a top aide to Henry "Enrique" Tarrio, the group's top leader, and the plea could put Bertino in position to testify against Tarrio and others, the...
Jan. 6 Defendants Really
Don't Like the DC Jail
Oct 3, 2022 2:32 PM CDT
Jan. 6 Defendants Really Don't Like the DC Jail
They've asked a court to transfer them to Guantanamo Bay
- A group of Jan. 6 defendants awaiting trial in the District of Columbia jail have asked to be transferred to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, where they say the detention facility "actually provides nutritious meals … sunlight exposure, top-notch medical care, is respectful of religious requirements, [and] has centers for exercise/entertainment....
Proud Boy Who Got Near
Aug 29, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Proud Boy Who Got Near Schumer Sentenced
Capitol Police officers submitted victim impact statements in Joshua Pruitt case
- A Proud Boy from whom Sen. Chuck Schumer and his security team had to flee during the attack on the Capitol was sentenced Monday to 55 months in federal prison. Joshua Pruitt, 40, apologized in court for his actions on Jan. 6, 2021, but stuck to his position supporting then-President...
Committee to Show Trump
'Activated' Militia Groups
Jul 12, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Committee to Show Trump 'Activated' Militia Groups
'You'll see the evidence,' Rep. Stephanie Murphy tells CBS
- A former spokesperson for the Oath Keepers—the far-right, anti-government militia group that claims to defend its interpretation of the US Constitution—will testify in front of the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riot Tuesday in its seventh hearing and the first since the stunning testimony of former...
Quickly Deletes Op-Ed
Supporting Proud Boys
Jul 11, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Newspaper Publishes, Quickly Deletes Op-Ed Supporting Proud Boys
The Herald-Tribune says it 'erred' in providing a platform to support the far-right group
- Local hubbub involving the Sarasota County School Board and the far-right Proud Boys has trickled into the national media and created a headache for staff at the
Back on June 24, the paper published a guest column by Lisa Gialdini Schurr calling on school board candidates to denounce...
Proud Boy Calls Out Colbert
in Court, Colbert Responds
Jun 16, 2022 5:45 PM CDT
Proud Boy Calls Out Colbert in Court, Colbert Responds
Defense argued Jan. 6 trial should be moved because of coverage
- Stephen Colbert noticed that lawyers for a leader of the Proud Boys mentioned him in their attempt to have Joseph Biggs' trial moved from Washington, DC. A defense filing last week asked for a new location because of the "unquestionably spectacular 24/7" coverage of the organization in the media,...
Proud Boys Members Charged
With Seditious Conspiracy
Jun 6, 2022 7:10 PM CDT
Proud Boys Members Charged With Seditious Conspiracy
Former leader Enrique Tarrio is among 5 charged
- The former top leader of the far-right Proud Boys extremist group and other members were charged Monday with seditious conspiracy for what federal prosecutors say was a coordinated attack on the Capitol to stop Congress from certifying President Biden's 2020 electoral victory. The latest indictment against Henry "Enrique"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.