Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This May Be
in case you missed it
Jul 16, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
This May Be the Craziest Goop Story Yet
2 men hospitalized after explosion involving s'mores in Hamptons store
- Some seriously strange stories have surfaced over the years in regard to Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop brand, but this one is right up there. As a police blotter item in the
East Hampton Star
explains, two men caught fire in a Goop store in the Hamptons after a most-unusual explosion....
2 Shark Attacks
on Same Day
in Long Island
Jul 14, 2022 2:21 AM CDT
2 Shark Attacks on Same Day in Long Island
Both victims survived their ordeals
- Two people were attacked by sharks in separate Long Island incidents Wednesday. Both survived. Near Smith Point on Fire Island around 7:30am, a 41-year-old man variously reported as a surfer or paddleboarder was knocked off his board by a 4-foot-long tiger shark, which the man punched. He was then...
During Lifeguard Training
Exercise, Shark Attacked
Jul 4, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
During Lifeguard Training Exercise, Shark Attacked
Lifeguard had been playing the role of a victim on Long Island beach
- Suffolk County officials closed a Long Island beach to swimming Sunday after what they described as an unprecedented shark attack that injured a lifeguard. The lifeguard, identified by CBS New York as Zachari Gallo, had been playing the role of a victim during a training exercise when the shark bit...
They Got Their Diplomas,
Then Rushed to the Fire
Jul 1, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
They Got Their Diplomas, Then Rushed to the Fire
6 Long Island teens are lauded for fighting blaze just minutes after high school graduation
- Last week was graduation week for many across Long Island, but several seniors from one school district said their final farewells to K-12 in a most unusual, and unexpected, way. Just minutes after the graduation ceremony at Port Jefferson High School had ended last Friday evening, a call came in...
Serial Killer Charged
in 1968 Cold Case
Jun 24, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Serial Killer Charged in 1968 Cold Case
DNA evidence in Diane Cusick murder led investigators to Richard Cottingham
- Police in Long Island say advances in DNA technology helped them crack a case that horrified residents in 1968. Nassau County Police Detective Capt. Stephen Fitzpatrick says the killer of 23-year-old Diane Cusick has been identified as Richard Cottingham, a serial killer already linked to 11 other murders, CBS reports....
She Hit the Wrong Pedal,
but a Teen Saved Her Life
Jun 16, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
She Hit the Wrong Pedal, but a Teen Saved Her Life
Anthony Zhongor, 17, rescued Mia Samolinski, 18, from Long Island's Patchogue Bay
- A scary moment led to a heroic one this week at Long Island's Patchogue Bay. A 17-year-old named Anthony Zhongor rescued 18-year-old Mia Samolinski after she hit the gas instead of the brake on her SUV and plunged into the bay from a parking lot, reports NBC News . The...
In This Long Island Town,
an 'Unusual 911 Call'
Apr 4, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
In This Long Island Town, an 'Unusual 911 Call'
Police help rescue baby seal from Southampton traffic circle
- Police in an East End town on Long Island received what LongIsland.com deems a most "unusual 911 call" over the weekend. Sgt. Jim Cavanagh of the Southampton Town Police Department tells CNN a seal was spotted on Sunday by residents, sliding through a parking lot in the hamlet...
Scratch-Off Player Wins
a Second $10M Payoff
Feb 27, 2022 11:50 AM CST
Scratch-Off Player Wins a Second $10M Payoff
Juan Hernandez cashed in the first time in 2019
- Juan Hernandez is starting to get good at this. The Long Island man claimed a $10 million prize in a New York Lottery Deluxe scratch-off game last week—his second windfall, after winning his first $10 million in a scratch-off game in 2019, per WNBC . The New York Lottery said...
'There Was Fire Coming Out
of Manhole Covers'
Feb 16, 2022 3:08 PM CST
'There Was Fire Coming Out of Manhole Covers'
Gas tanker slammed into Long Island La-Z-Boy showroom, exploded
- Firefighters from at least 18 municipalities rushed to the scene early Wednesday after a tanker carrying more than 9,000 gallons of gasoline overturned, slammed into a La-Z-Boy showroom in Long Island, caught fire, and exploded. Authorities say the driver lost control of the tanker around 1am and crashed into...
Cops: Grandma Outsmarts
Her Would-Be Scammer
Jan 24, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Cops: Grandma Outsmarts Her Would-Be Scammer
Long Island woman, 73, lures him to her home, where police were waiting
- This time, the "grandparent scam" backfired in a big way an on alleged scammer. Police on Long Island say a 73-year-old woman lured a man trying to con her out of $8,000 to her home, where officers arrested him, reports News 12 . The case unfolded last week, when...
Teacher in Hot
Water After Video:
'There You Go,
in case you missed it
Jan 9, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Teacher in Hot Water After Video: 'There You Go, At-Home Vaccine'
Laura Russo arrested after allegedly giving COVID vaccine to son's 17-year-old pal
- A Long Island high school science teacher accused of administering a COVID vaccine to a teen in her home is in trouble with her school district and the law. The
reports that Laura Russo, a 54-year-old biology teacher for Herricks Public Schools, was arrested for unauthorized practice of...
Cops: Man Who Shot Parents
Did So Over His 1-Year-Old Son
Dec 30, 2021 8:16 AM CST
Cops: Man Who Shot Parents Did So Over His 1-Year-Old Son
Dino Tomassetti, 29, faces 2 counts of attempted murder in Christmas incident on Long Island
A Brooklyn man accused of shooting both of his parents in their Long Island home on Christmas morning was apparently angry over a custody issue, local police now say. Dino Tomassetti, 29, "wanted to take his 1-year-old away from his parents and the natural mother, which he did...
FBI: Fetty Wap
Oct 29, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
FBI: Fetty Wap Helped Flood Long Island With Drugs
Rapper busted by FBI Thursday at music fest at NYC's Citi Field
- Fetty Wap has had his fair share of legal trouble over the past few years, and he's now got another woe to add to the list. WABC reports the 30-year-old rapper, real name William Junior Maxwell II, was arrested Thursday by FBI agents at Citi Field in Queens, NY....
Millions Warned That Henri
Is Officially a Hurricane
Aug 21, 2021 12:45 PM CDT
Millions Warned That Henri Is Officially a Hurricane
The storm could weaken before making landfall Sunday
- Henri is a hurricane now, upgraded from tropical storm Saturday morning. The National Hurricane Center had already warned that the storm could increase in intensity and hit New England. The storm’s sustained winds now exceed 74mph and it could ramp up even more, though “some weakening is expected...
Cops: Driver Forgot
to Use Turn Signal,
Had 99 Other Problems
Jun 16, 2021 7:29 AM CDT
Cops: Driver Forgot to Use Turn Signal, Had 99 Other Problems
99 license suspensions, that is, for Long Island driver Gilbert Cantres, according to police
- Not using a turn signal in New York would usually earn someone a moderate fine and a couple of points on their license, but a Long Island man found himself under arrest this week after police say they found much more than a simple moving violation during a traffic stop....
'Oh My God, It's Acid': College
Student Attacked Outside Home
Apr 23, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
'Oh My God, It's Acid': College Student Attacked Outside Home
Man rushed up behind Nafiah Ikram in Long Island, hurling substance in her face
- A Long Island college student is recovering from a horrific acid attack in front of her home that left her with severe injuries. The assault took place March 17 as Nafiah Ikram, a 21-year-old junior at Hofstra University, arrived home in Elmont after work. Ikram says she saw a man...
Cops: Man Asked for Transfer
40 Minutes Before Shooting
Apr 21, 2021 4:36 PM CDT
Cops: Man Asked for Transfer 40 Minutes Before Shooting
Gabriel DeWitt Wilson described as 'troubled employee' at Long Island supermarket
- The man accused of killing a manager and wounding two other workers at a Long Island supermarket Tuesday is a "troubled employee" who requested a transfer just 40 minutes before he opened fire, police say. Nassau County Police Det. Lt. Stephen Fitzpatrick says 31-year-old cart collector Gabriel DeWitt Wilson...
Suspect Arrested in
Apr 20, 2021 2:51 PM CDT
Suspect Arrested in Supermarket Shooting
Police say a suspect identified as Gabriel DeWitt Wilson has been apprehended
- Police say the suspect in a shooting that killed one and injured two at a Long Island grocery store Tuesday morning had ties to the store. They say it’s unclear whether Gabriel DeWitt Wilson, 30, is a current or former employee, CNN reports. More than a hundred people were...
Long Island Shooting
Leaves 1 Dead, 2 Wounded
Apr 20, 2021 12:13 PM CDT
Long Island Shooting Leaves 1 Dead, 2 Wounded
Shooter fled West Hempstead supermarket and remains at large
- Another shooting with multiple victims is in the news, this time out of Long Island. One person was killed and two others wounded at a supermarket in West Hempstead on Tuesday morning, reports the AP . Police identified the person killed as a 49-year-old employee of the Stop & Shop store....
White Headmaster Told Black
Boy to Kneel Like an 'African'
Mar 24, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
White Headmaster Told Black Boy to Kneel Like an 'African'
John Holian placed on leave at Long Island Catholic school
- The headmaster of a Catholic school on Long Island has been placed on leave after reportedly telling a Black boy to kneel in apology, calling it "the African way." Trisha Paul's 11-year-old son, Trayson, told her that he'd been taken to the headmaster's office at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
For Owners of Some Kias, Hyundais, an Unusual Worry
The World Has a New Island
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.