Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sheriff's 'Wheel of Fugitive'
Earns Him a Lawsuit
Jan 31, 2023 7:47 AM CST
Sheriff's 'Wheel of Fugitive' Earns Him a Lawsuit
David Gay says he wasn't a fugitive in Brevard County when featured on video
- In hundreds of videos shared on social media, Brevard County, Florida, Sheriff Wayne Ivey spins the "Wheel of Fugitive" decorated with 10 names and faces. The wheel chooses the "fugitive of the week," whose case Ivey highlights. The goal is to have the fugitive turn themselves in...
Dec 14, 2022 7:35 AM CST
Vatican Cardinal Files Defamation Suit Against Accuser
Marc Ouellet says in countersuit that woman's sex assault claims 'tarnished' his global reputation
- A Vatican cardinal sued a Canadian woman for defamation in a Canadian court on Tuesday after she accused him of sexual assault while he was archbishop of Quebec. Cardinal Marc Ouellet, head of the Vatican's bishops office, is seeking $74,000 in compensatory damages for "injury to his...
Epstein Victim, Dershowitz
Issue Joint Statement
Nov 9, 2022 12:30 PM CST
Epstein Victim, Dershowitz Issue Joint Statement
Virginia Giuffre admits possible 'mistake in identifying' the celebrity lawyer in sex abuse
- Virginia Giuffre, the woman who has long claimed sex abuse by Jeffrey Epstein, Prince Andrew, and Alan Dershowitz, now says she may have "made a mistake" in accusing that third man. "I have long believed that I was trafficked by Jeffrey Epstein to Alan Dershowitz. However, I was...
Judge Rips Giuliani
in Preserving Lawsuit
Oct 31, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Judge Rips Giuliani in Preserving Lawsuit
Opinion supports defamation filing on harm done to Georgia election workers
- A federal judge on Monday declined to dismiss a defamation lawsuit filed against former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani by two women who served as election workers in Georgia in November 2020. In the lawsuit filed last December, Ruby Freeman and Wandrea "Shaye" Moss accused Giuliani of defaming...
Lawyer: Trump Was 'Pleased
to Set Record Straight'
Oct 20, 2022 12:46 AM CDT
Lawyer: Trump Was 'Pleased to Set Record Straight'
He answered questions under oath in deposition lawsuit
: Former President Trump sat for a deposition Wednesday in the defamation lawsuit brought by writer E. Jean Carroll. The deposition was taken at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, CNN reports. Lawyers representing Carroll, who accuses Trump of raping her in a New York City department store in the...
Experts: Alex Jones
Looking at Financial Ruin
Oct 14, 2022 9:27 AM CDT
Experts: Alex Jones Looking at Financial Ruin
Unable to pay the full penalty, 'he may be forced to live a subsistence type of life'
- The $965 million awarded to 15 Connecticut plaintiffs who suffered from Infowars host Alex Jones' promotion of the lie that the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School was a hoax is "the largest defamation verdict in US history, certainly on compensatory damages," University of California law professor...
the Big Lie'
Oct 6, 2022 8:35 AM CDT
Trump: CNN Should Have to 'Prove the Big Lie'
Ex-president says network will 'never be able to prove' his claims on election fraud are false
- Former President Trump filed a defamation suit against CNN this week, accusing it of trying to smear him "for the purpose of defeating him politically." Now, Trump has issued the cable network a challenge. "Prove the big lie," Trump said Wednesday during an appearance on "...
Carroll's Lawyer Complains
Trump Is Stalling on Lawsuit
Oct 1, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Carroll's Lawyer Complains Trump Is Stalling on Lawsuit
Depositions are scheduled next month in case springing from sexual assault accusation
- The deposition of former President Donald Trump in a defamation lawsuit filed against him by E. Jean Carroll is scheduled for Oct. 19, a court filing entered Friday in US District Court in New York shows. Trump's attorneys are to depose Carroll on Oct. 14, CBS News reports. The...
Score Another Loss for
'Central Park Karen'
Sep 22, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Score Another Loss for 'Central Park Karen'
Judge dismisses suit against company that fired Amy Cooper after she called cops on Black birder
- A woman who was fired from her job after a video of her calling the cops on a Black bird-watcher in New York City's Central Park went viral has lost her lawsuit against her former employer. Bloomberg reports that on Wednesday, US District Judge Ronnie Abrams dismissed the complaint...
E. Jean Carroll: Thanks to New
Law, I'm Suing Trump Again
Sep 21, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
E. Jean Carroll: Thanks to New Law, I'm Suing Trump Again
Writer, who already has defamation suit against ex-president, will now file sexual battery complaint
- E. Jean Carroll says she'll take advantage of New York's new Adult Survivors Act to file a sexual battery lawsuit against former President Donald Trump, whom she claims raped her in a Manhattan department store dressing room in late 1995 or early 1996. The former
It's a Draw in Suit
Over 'Sexist' Remark
Sep 7, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
It's a Draw in Suit Over 'Sexist' Remark in
Netflix, Nona Gaprindashvili agree to settle defamation claim
- Netflix had the chance to publicly apologize to Nona Gaprindashvili. It didn't, and as a result faced a $5 million defamation lawsuit from the Georgian chess master, which it has now agreed to settle. Financial details weren't disclosed, per Deadline , though a lawyer for 81-year-old Gaprindashvili says Gaprindashvili'...
Jury Awards Punitive Damages
in Alex Jones Case of $45M
Aug 5, 2022 5:47 PM CDT
Jury Awards Punitive Damages in Alex Jones Case of $45M
Lawyer had asked jurors to send a message to "stop the monetization of misinformation'
- The jury in Alex Jones' defamation trial on Friday awarded the parents of a 6-year-old boy killed in the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School punitive damages of $45.2 million. Jones' lawyer immediately objected, the
New York Times
reports, pointing out to the judge that Texas law limits punitive...
Lawyers 'Messed Up,' Sending
Alex Jones' Texts to Opponents
Aug 3, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Lawyers 'Messed Up,' Sending Alex Jones' Texts to Opponents
Infowars host had said under oath that there was nothing on his phone about Sandy Hook killings
- Alex Jones said in a sworn deposition that there's nothing on his cellphone about the Sandy Hook school massacre. That position became uncomfortable Wednesday when the Infowars host was on the stand in his defamation trial in Texas and learned that his lawyers "messed up." Mark Bankston,...
How Alex Jones'
Trial Relates to the
Aug 2, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
How Alex Jones' Trial Relates to the First Amendment
All defamation suits are First Amendment cases
- Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones arrived at a Texas courthouse for his defamation trial for calling the Sandy Hook Elementary School attack a hoax with the words "Save the 1st" scrawled on tape covering his mouth. Although Jones portrays the lawsuit as an assault on the First Amendment, parents say...
Must ID Person
Jul 22, 2022 2:45 PM CDT
Glassdoor Must ID Person Who Wrote 'Toxic' Reviews
Judge sides with New Zealand company that was the subject of scathing critiques
- Glassdoor is a website where users can look for future jobs, as well as post reviews about companies they've worked for to help others determine if a company might be a desirable employer or one to avoid. What allows reviewers to be as brutally honest as possible is the...
Prepares to Sue
Indiana AG for
Jul 20, 2022 1:31 AM CDT
Abortion Doctor Prepares to Sue Indiana AG for Defamation
His office calls her claims 'baseless'
- The Indiana doctor who has become the center of a firestorm after performing an abortion on a 10-year-old girl from neighboring Ohio will sue the state's attorney general for defamation over his comments about her . Dr. Caitlin Bernard's lawyer released a statement Tuesday saying the lawsuit against AG...
Depp's Lawyers Answer
Attempt to Toss Verdict
Jul 11, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Depp's Lawyers Answer Attempt to Toss Verdict
They differ with Heard's argument that the $10M verdict wasn't supported by evidence
: It's understandable that Amber Heard would want Johnny Depp's defamation suit victory against her thrown out and a new trial ordered, his lawyers told a court Monday, but there's no legitimate reason to do that. "Virginia law is clear that a verdict is not to...
Pay for Lawsuits
Jun 24, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
He says he's fighting back with 'fake news turkey shoot'
- Kyle Rittenhouse says he's releasing a video game to fund his planned defamation lawsuits against media outlets. In it, players act as a cartoonish Rittenhouse, shooting flying turkeys labeled "fake news" and "MSDNC" with a large orange gun, per the
. "The media is nothing...
Kyle Rittenhouse Says
He's 'Fueled' by Depp Trial
Jun 3, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Kyle Rittenhouse Says He's 'Fueled' by Depp Trial
He's hired Nick Sandmann's lawyer to handle defamation suits
- While the two cases are very different—Johnny Depp didn't kill anybody, for a start—the Depp defamation trial has apparently inspired Kyle Rittenhouse to step up his own legal efforts. "Johnny Depp trial is just fueling me, you can fight back against the lies in the media,...
There's So Much Wrong With
the Heard, Depp Verdicts
Jun 2, 2022 12:46 PM CDT
There's So Much Wrong With the Heard, Depp Verdicts
Both actors should have lost their cases, writes Danny Cevallos
- It's no wonder Amber Heard is "heartbroken" by the verdicts in her defamation trial with ex-husband Johnny Depp. "It means the jurors didn't believe [she] was ever abused"—physically, sexually, emotionally, psychologically, or financially—"not once," legal analyst Danny Cevallos writes at NBC...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.