Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Santigold Cancels Tour,
Cites 'Unsustainable' Industry
Sep 27, 2022 3:53 PM CDT
Santigold Cancels Tour, Cites 'Unsustainable' Industry
Her tour was to start in less than two weeks
- We're all eager to "make up for lost time" in the wake of COVID lockdowns, but for the singer Santigold, rushing into that was like barreling into a brick wall. The musician announced on her website that she has decided to cancel her North American tour, which
2K Irish Artists Now Getting
Universal Basic Income
Sep 13, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
2K Irish Artists Now Getting Universal Basic Income
3-year pilot program could transform lives, boost sector, backers say
- Ireland's government has begun paying $325 per week to 2,000 artists—including actors, musicians, writers, and painters—as part of a research program on the effects of universal basic income. The 707 visual artists, 584 musicians, 204 film artists, 184 writers, 173 theater artists, 32 dancers and choreographers,...
Jul 22, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Actor Found Dead
Shonka Dukureh dies in Nashville at age 44
- Shonka Dukureh, who played Big Mama Thornton in this year's movie about Elvis Presley , was found dead Thursday in a bedroom at her home in Nashville, police say. She was 44. Nashville police say there were no signs of foul play, per the AP . Autopsy results are pending from...
She Tried to
Sell a Clapton
Bootleg for $11.
He Filed Suit
Dec 18, 2021 6:30 AM CST
She Tried to Sell a Clapton Bootleg for $11. He Filed Suit
German court rules in favor of rock star in copyright infringement case
- A German judge has sided with Eric Clapton in a copyright infringement case that started with a CD being listed on eBay for just over $11. Deutsche Welle reports that on Wednesday, a Duesseldorf regional court ruled a 55-year-old widow who'd tried to sell a bootlegged CD of some...
in 48 Hours
Nov 19, 2021 12:07 PM CST
Fans Send Millionaire Artist $448K in 48 Hours
Afrobeats artist Davido of Nigeria apparently wanted to get his luxury car out of port
- Nigerian-American Afrobeats star Davido is a multimillionaire, notes the
. But that didn't keep him from asking fans for donations this week. And they jumped at the opportunity to help "one of the biggest African stars in the world," per the BBC . The singer with 31.6...
Fellow Musicians Perplexed
by Clapton's Hard Turn
Nov 13, 2021 12:54 PM CST
Fellow Musicians Perplexed by Clapton's Hard Turn
Robert Cray, for example, has cut ties over Clapton's stance against COVID lockdowns
- Eric Clapton has emerged as a loud voice opposed to COVID lockdowns and vaccine mandates , along with fellow music legend Van Morrison. As a result, he's attracted a ton of criticism , prompting a lengthy
story by Geoff Edgers on the subject headlined, "What happened to Eric...
He Calls 'a
Oct 26, 2021 8:12 AM CDT
Paul McCartney Nixes Practice He Calls 'a Bit Strange'
Ex-Beatle will no longer be signing autographs for fans
- Nearly 15 years ago, Ringo Starr "put his foot" down, and his pen, and informed fans he wouldn't be signing autographs anymore. Now, the only other surviving Beatle has jumped aboard the same no-autographs train. The AV Club reports on a new Paul McCartney interview with
Flutist Who Shared Conspiracy
Theories Is Out of a Job
Aug 6, 2021 10:38 AM CDT
Flutist Who Shared Conspiracy Theories Is Out of a Job
Baltimore Symphony fires Emily Skala
- A flutist who courted controversy with online posts about everything from COVID to the 2020 election results is out of a job in Baltimore. The city's orchestra this week fired principal flutist Emily Skala, reports the
. The move comes about six months after the orchestra publicly rebuked...
Me I Should Not
Apr 20, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Ted Nugent: 'Everybody Told Me I Should Not Announce This'
Right-wing singer announces he has COVID after claiming pandemic is a 'scam'
- Months after claiming there was "not a real pandemic," Ted Nugent found himself sicker than he'd ever been in his life. "I have had flu symptoms for the last 10 days. ... I thought I was dying," the rocker said Monday on a Facebook Live stream...
Member of Alabama Shakes
Accused of Child Abuse
Mar 29, 2021 7:37 AM CDT
Member of Alabama Shakes Accused of Child Abuse
Arrested drummer Steven Johnson had previously pleaded guilty to violating ex's protective order
- A member of the rock band Alabama Shakes was arrested last week and hit with child abuse charges, a year after pleading guilty to breaching a protective order from his ex-wife. The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office in Alabama confirms to
that drummer Steven William Johnson was arrested...
Girl Drummer' Is Gone
Oct 25, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
World's 'Fastest Girl Drummer' Is Gone
Viola Smith has died at 107
- The "fastest girl drummer in the world" is gone. Viola Smith, a swing musician who fought for female inclusion in the big-band era, died Wednesday at home in Costa Mesa, Calif., the
reports. She was 107. At a time when jazz giants like Artie Shaw and Benny...
Guitarist Who 'Gave Me
the Cold Sweats' Has Died
Jul 25, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
Guitarist Who 'Gave Me the Cold Sweats' Has Died
Peter Green had 'the sweetest tone I ever heard,' said guitar legend BB King
- Peter Green, the dexterous blues guitarist who led the first incarnation of Fleetwood Mac in a career shortened by psychedelic drugs and mental illness, has died at 73, the AP reports. A law firm representing his family, Swan Turton, announced the death in a statement Saturday. It said he died...
RIP, Little Richard
—'a Genius, Pure
May 9, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
RIP, Little Richard —'a Genius, Pure and Simple'
Mick Jagger, Quincy Jones are among those reacting to Little Richard's death
- Reactions are rolling in to the death of rock 'n' roll pioneer Little Richard, who died Saturday at 87, the AP reports. Among them:
Coronavirus Leads to Death
of New Orleans Jazz Legend
Apr 2, 2020 2:54 AM CDT
Coronavirus Leads to Death of New Orleans Jazz Legend
Ellis Marsalis Jr. had pneumonia caused by COVID-19
- Ellis Marsalis Jr., jazz pianist, teacher, and patriarch of a New Orleans musical clan that includes famed performer sons Wynton and Branford, has died after battling pneumonia brought by the coronavirus, one of his sons said late Wednesday. He was 85. Ellis Marsalis III confirmed in an interview with the...
Forefront of the
Dies at 61
Feb 26, 2020 5:05 AM CST
Musician at Forefront of the 'Paisley Underground' Dies at 61
Mazzy Star, Rain Parade co-founder David Roback was key figure in LA's neo-psychedelia genre
- David Roback, a driving force in the neo-psychedelic genre and co-founder of California alt-rock band Mazzy Star, has died at age 61, per a representative for the band. The cause of death hasn't yet been released. In the early '80s, the producer, guitarist, and keyboardist co-founded Rain Parade,...
'Top New Artist'
Is Dead After
Dec 8, 2019 12:00 PM CST
Billboard's 'Top New Artist' Is Dead After Medical Emergency
Juice WRLD was just 21 years old
- Chicago-area rapper Juice WRLD, whose real name is Jarad A. Higgins, was pronounced dead Sunday after a "medical emergency'' at Midway International Airport, the AP reports. Police and fire officials confirmed a 21-year-old male was transported from Midway to an area hospital where he was pronounced dead. Chicago...
Nov 16, 2019 4:35 PM CST
Stolen Strad Reborn After Nearly 40 Years
Violinist Nathan Meltzer revives prize instrument in Cambridge, Mass.
- A Stradivarius violin stolen four decades ago from the virtuoso Roman Totenberg and returned to his family by a federal prosecutor came alive again—at the crime scene, the AP reports. Nineteen-year-old star violinist Nathan Meltzer revived the prize instrument of the late Polish-born musician on Friday at a public...
UMG Tried to
Downplay Big Fire.
Now, a Bigger
List of Names
Jun 26, 2019 1:32 PM CDT
UMG Tried to Downplay Big Fire. Now, a Bigger List of Names
Cher, Dolly Parton, Styx, Rodney Dangerfield—all apparently lost master recordings in 2008 blaze
- What's been called "the biggest disaster in the history of the music business" now has an even longer list of victims. A
New York Times
story documented the destruction of master recordings in a 2008 fire that burned a Universal Music Group vault, with 100 or so artists...
Meet the World's
Jun 5, 2019 8:37 AM CDT
Meet the World's Richest Female Musician and Her $600M
That would be Rihanna, per 'Forbes'
- The world's richest female musician has a net worth of $600 million—and it's mainly not from her music.
has bestowed the honor upon Rihanna, noting that the bulk of her fortune (about $570 million of it) comes from the Fenty Beauty cosmetics line she co-owns with...
Leon Redbone, Unintentionally
Mysterious Musician, Dies
May 31, 2019 12:22 AM CDT
Leon Redbone, Unintentionally Mysterious Musician, Dies
Jazz and blues artist's fans included Dylan
- Leon Redbone, the blues and jazz artist whose growly voice, panama hat, and cultivated air of mystery made him seem like a character out of the ragtime era or the Depression-era Mississippi Delta, died Thursday. He was 69, the AP reports. No details about his death were provided. Redbone's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Musk Kicks Kanye West Off Twitter
NYC Job Will Pay Up to $170K, but It's a 'Daunting' One
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
Jonah Hill Is Changing His Name
Orange Is the New Black Star Dead at 56
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.