Tim Tebow donned his green and took on the gang from New York today, appearing for the first time as a New York Jet before a crush of more than 200 reporters at the Jets practice facility, reports the AP. The former Bronco was upbeat, poised, and refused to get baited into a quarterback controversy. A few highlights from the presser:
- On Mark Sanchez and aforementioned quarterback controversy: "I think the exciting thing is me and Mark have a great relationship. We have had a great relationship for the last three years, I think. We've been friends. We text back and forth. We talked already and we're going to have a great working relationship. I think we'll have a lot of fun together."
- On aforementioned media crush: "I really don't think it will be much of a distraction because, honestly, I will try not to pay too much attention to it."
- On playing a position other than quarterback: "However I can help the team, I am open to it. ... Whatever my role is, however I can expand that role, I'm going to try to do that."
- On Tebowing: "I'm pretty sure I'm not the first athlete who has gotten on a knee and prayed, but it's known as `Tebowing.' I'm not sure why. It probably has a little bit to do with the hype."
- Sanchez on Tebow: "We're adding another player and were not replacing anybody. He's here to help us and I'm confident in my abilities. I know the team feels the same way about me. They have belief in me. I'm not worried about losing my spot."
- Coach Rex Ryan emphasizing Tebow the "football player:" "I don't see Tim just holding a clipboard. He's going to be playing for us. There is no doubt."
(Read more Tim Tebow