Star Trek Director Gives Dying Fan Sneak Screening

JJ Abrams sends rough cut of sequel to cancer patient
By Rob Quinn,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 7, 2013 1:26 AM CST
Updated Jan 7, 2013 3:44 AM CST
Star Trek Director Grants Fan's Dying Wish
Chris Pine, left, Karl Urban, second left, Zachary Quinto, foreground and John Cho are shown in a scene from the first Abrams "Star Trek" movie.   (AP Photo/Paramount Pictures, Industrial Light & Magic)

(Newser) – A Star Trek fan with just days to live got to watch a rough cut of upcoming sequel Star Trek: Into Darkness after a plea on social media reached director JJ Abrams. The film won't be released until May, but Abrams and producer Damon Lindelof arranged for a copy to be sent to the home of New York Asian Film Festival co-founder Daniel Craft, who had discovered just weeks earlier that he had terminal cancer.

Craft's wife made popcorn and "he had spent the previous day resting so he could sit through the movie, and after signing about 200 non-disclosure agreements they watched the film and had a blast," a friend tells the Hollywood Reporter. Abrams and the producer told Craft and his wife, "'Please don't judge this—it's very rough, but we wanted you to see what we had,'" he says. "Of course, he loved the film. It was the last thing he got to do before he passed away." (Read more Star Trek stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X