The Met Gala was last night, meaning celebrities had a chance to dress up in totally crazy outfits and vie for headlines the next day. Six of the most talked-about costumes:
- Beyonce showed up—two hours late—in a mostly see-through (with the exception of some well-placed ... confetti?) dress, prompting USA Today to declare, "Beyonce has a rare (but epic) fashion fail," even referring to it as a "Kardashian-like moment."
- Sarah Jessica Parker wore a headdress that was supposed to look like flames, and People notes that it's already a meme—people are comparing it to a flame emoji, the Human Torch, the hair of the Heat Miser from classic cartoon The Year Without a Santa Claus, and even the hat Jafar wears in Aladdin, among other things.
- Bey's sister, Solange Knowles, wore her own bizarre dress. It's difficult to describe, but People notes that the printed dress with mini-pleats "looks like two paper fans on top of each other."
- Vanity Fair declares that Rihanna "won" the red carpet with her insane yellow dress, complete with fur cape dragging an enormous train behind it. "I can’t really walk in it without any help," Rihanna explained. "But it’s so worth it. I love this dress so much!"
- Jennifer Connelly wore a Louis Vuitton sheath dress with puffy sleeves, and Perez Hilton complained that "that leg-of-mutton sleeve made the ensemble look far too big for her tiny frame. And as if that wasn't enough, her hands were practically swallowed up in that dress," making her look like "a little girl trying on mommy's clothes."
- As for Anne Hathaway, she looked vaguely like a Star Wars character in her gold, hooded ensemble, a not-uncommon observation. E! also notes that it "somewhat resembles a metallic boxing robe a pro athlete might wear."
If you don't fully understand the Met Gala, the Washington Post's amusing FAQ
may help. It reminds us, for one thing, that this happened after last year's event
. (Read more Beyonce