Not everyone skyrockets directly to fame: Ranker lists 24 celebrities who started out as backup singers. A sampling:
- Katy Perry: When she still went by her birth name of Katy Hudson, she sang backup for P.O.D. and appeared in one of the band's 2006 music videos ("Goodbye for Now").
- Mariah Carey: Sang backup and also worked as a dancer for Brenda Starr in the late '80s.
- Gwen Stefani: It may be hard to believe now, but she was originally a backup singer in No Doubt. When the original lead singer, John Spence, committed suicide in 1987, she took his place.
Click for the complete list
- Elton John: His band, Bluesology, provided backup vocals and instrumentation for artists including Patti LaBelle and the Isley Brothers.
- Sheryl Crow: She started out singing backup for Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, and Don Henley.
- Pink: She got her start singing backup in Philadelphia clubs as a teenager.
- Whitney Houston: She was a backup singer for Chaka Khan and Lou Rawls.
- Cher: You can hear her singing backup on the Ronettes' "Be My Baby" and the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'."
, including one hot artist who started out singing hooks for Kanye West. (Read more celebrity