High fashion was on display once again at the Met Gala Monday night, and it was all about avant-garde this year, in tribute to honoree Rei Kawakubo, the 74-year-old Japanese creator of the Comme des Garcons label. Some of the most talked-about looks at one of the ritziest nights on the calendar:
- Kendall Jenner. She wore what USA Today calls a "visible thong": a daring La Perla Haute Couture Collection gown created from more than 80,000 crystals.
- Helen Lasichanh. She was one of the guests who wore a Kawakubo creation, arriving in what the AP describes as one of the designer's signature "avant-garde, bulbous, and armless jumpsuits."
- Cara Delevingne. Her sci-fi look included not just a brocade Chanel pantsuit, but what Vogue calls a "colored chrome" scalp: She recently shaved her head for her role in Life in a Year and arrived with her head sprayed with metallic silver paint, resembling a pixie cut.
- Rihanna. She was another to wear a Kawakubo creation, and US Weekly is among those declaring her "queen of the ball" for being "flawlessly on theme" in her ornate gown of petal-like pieces.
- Katy Perry. The co-host wowed in a custom Maison Margiela gown and headpiece, complete with a veil that appeared to bear the word "Witness," People reports.
- Celine Dion. The singer, attending the event for the first time, caught the eye of the New York Daily News with her black and silver Versace bodysuit with an origami-inspired headpiece.
- Rita Ora. She "was wrapped up like a gift in sculptural red bows over a pale pink tulle skirt," per the Hollywood Reporter.
- Priyanka Chopra. She wore a floor-sweeping Ralph Lauren trenchcoat gown that "took up a lot of real estate on the carpet, which is actually blue this year," the AP notes.
- Jaden Smith. Oddly, Delevingne's Life in a Year co-star appeared to be carrying the dreadlocks he let father Will Smith cut off weeks ago. "Perhaps this is somehow a rumination on the night's theme of Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between," suggests Hilary Weaver at Vanity Fair.
- Lily Collins. In what was seen as an homage to Kawakubo, she wore a frothy pink Giambattista Valli ensemble and had a bob cut that Vogue notes had an "unmistakable likeness to the trademark haircut of the night's honorary designer."
(Read more Met Gala