The majority of Americans oppose a preemptive military strike against North Korea and trust the US military—as opposed to President Trump—to handle current situation "responsibly," the Washington Post reports. The new numbers come from a recent Washington Post-ABC News poll. Here are some of the results:
- 72% of Americans trust the US military to handle the North Korea situation responsibly.
- Only 37% feel the same way about Trump.
- That's still more than the 8% who trust Kim Jong Un to act responsibly.
- 67% of Americans oppose a preemptive military strike against North Korea.
- And 69% believe such a military strike would drastically increase the risk of a larger war in East Asia.
- 32% of Americans support offering North Korea aid money or other financial incentives in exchange for the country giving up its nuclear weapons.
- 76% support tougher economic sanctions to achieve the same result.
- Only 39% of Americans support bombing North Korean military targets to convince the country to abandon its nuclear weapons.
- Overall, Trump's approval rating sits at 39% with 57% of Americans disapproving of his performance.
(Read more North Korea