Rielle Hunter finally speaks out—a lot—in a 10,000-word GQ interview covering, among other things, her first sexual encounter with one “Johnny” Edwards (on the day they met). More from the unpaid interview:
- On her feelings for Edwards: “I love Johnny and I love my daughter more than anything in the world. We love each other very much. And that hasn't changed, and I believe that will be till death do us part.”
- On the Edwards’ marriage: “Their relationship has been dysfunctional and toxic and awful for many, many years."
- On Andrew Young: The cover-up “was Andrew’s idea”; “Andrew was in love with Johnny.”
- On money funneled to her from campaign donors: Young “told me it was on the up-and-up and it was a gift. It was never hush money. Ever.”
- On how Edwards reacted to her pregnancy: “He was always very gracious. But I believe on some level he was hoping I would get an abortion.”
- On why Edwards lied: “When he did that interview he was not in the right mind. He was traumatized.”
- On why she didn’t speak out until now: "I would have emasculated him. And I could not emasculate him.”
- On their current relationship: “I am not engaged. I am not living in any houses that are owned by John Edwards. And he's not my landlord.” He does, however, pay child support.
- Famous last words: Edwards “did say to me the first night, ‘Falling in love with you could really f--- up my plans for becoming president.’”
(Read more Rielle Hunter