Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Was Weirder Than
You Could Imagine
Oct 22, 2022 7:00 AM CDT
Cruise Was Weirder Than You Could Imagine
There was no murder mystery, but grisly photos were shown
- If it sounds more like fiction than reality, it was, kind of: an eight-day "Gone Girl Cruise" hosted by the author of the book of the same name. For Imogen West-Knights, it spurred questions, among them, "How can a cruise be themed around a book about a woman...
Cruise Ship Passenger
Killed in Shark Attack
Sep 7, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Cruise Ship Passenger Killed in Shark Attack
The US mom was snorkeling when she suffered fatal bites from bull shark
- An American cruise ship passenger has died in a rare shark attack while snorkeling in the Bahamas. The 58-year-old mother from Pennsylvania was on a snorkeling excursion near a private island off Nassau shortly after 2pm Tuesday when a bull shark attacked, officials said, adding that relatives witnessed the encounter...
CDC: Don't Take
a Cruise Right Now
Jan 8, 2022 6:30 AM CST
CDC: Don't Take a Cruise Right Now
Royal Caribbean, Norwegian cancel sailings among new COVID surge
- If you've got tickets for an upcoming cruise, better check with your cruise line. This week, two major operators canceled near-future sailings amid the latest COVID surge, starting with Norwegian on Wednesday, reports
. "Our first priority is the health and safety of our guests, crew, and...
COVID Outbreak on Cruise Ship:
'They Were So Overwhelmed'
Dec 20, 2021 11:35 AM CST
COVID Outbreak on Cruise Ship: 'They Were So Overwhelmed'
4 dozen passengers, crew on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas tested positive
- About four dozen passengers and crew on a Dec. 11 sailing on Royal Caribbean's Symphony of the Seas tested positive for COVID before the ship made it back to Miami on Saturday, the cruise line announced.
reports the number as 44 infected, while NBC Miami puts it...
Parents of 3-Year-Old Suing
Disney Cruises for $20M
Sep 25, 2021 12:41 PM CDT
Parents of 3-Year-Old Suing Disney Cruises for $20M
Lawsuit alleges another child sexually assaulted toddler in front of staff
- Parents of a child in Vermont are suing the Disney Cruise Line for $20 million. They say their 3-year-old daughter was groped by a “significantly older child” while being looked after in the Oceaneer Club daycare for passengers ages 3-12, WCAX reports. They say their daughter was restrained, and...
By Air or by Sea, a Vax to
Travel in Canada You'll Need
Aug 14, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
By Air or by Sea, a Vax to Travel in Canada You'll Need
Nation announces air travelers, cruise ship passengers will soon need the jab
- Canada opened its doors to fully vaccinated Americans on Monday, causing cars to back up at the border for hours. On Friday, Transport Minister Omar Alghabra made a new travel-related announcement: By sometime this autumn, air travelers, cruise ship passengers, and those taking the train from province to province in...
Norwegian Cruises: 1,
State of Florida: 0.
Aug 9, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Norwegian Cruises: 1, State of Florida: 0.
Company wins temporary stay against Florida's ban on businesses asking for vaccine passports
- On Sunday, the Norwegian Gem will set sail to the Caribbean out of Miami, the cruise line's first sailing from Florida since the pandemic shuttered the cruise industry last year. Now, a judge has just given the parent company a win on its quest to make sure all passengers...
Vax Fight Between Cruise
Line, Florida Heats Up
Jul 14, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Vax Fight Between Cruise Line, Florida Heats Up
Norwegian wants 100% of crew, passengers vaxxed, sues Fla., which says that's discrimination
- The cruise industry is taking shaky steps back into the water, and Norwegian Cruise Line just made a move it hopes will help keep its business safe and afloat. On Tuesday, the company sued Scott Rivkees, the surgeon general of Florida, over the state's ban against businesses asking for...
Royal Caribbean Takes '2 Steps
Forward and One Step Back'
Jun 16, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Royal Caribbean Takes '2 Steps Forward and One Step Back'
Line postpones sailings of new Odyssey of the Seas after 8 vaxxed crew members test positive
- Royal Caribbean has been giving a hard push to promotions for its new Odyssey of the Seas ship , which the company vows will "turn wanderlust into reality." That reality will have to wait, however, as now it's "two steps forward and one step back," per...
Cruise Does Not Go Well
in case you missed it
May 22, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Billionaire's Pandemic Cruise Does Not Go Well
Girlfriend and mother of hockey club owner Eugene Melnyk file suit against their captain
- The pandemic getaway cruise was a bust. The ensuing lawsuits are a hoot. Back in December, the billionaire owner of the NHL's Ottawa Senators chartered a $500,000-a-week superyacht to sail around the Bahamas, reports CTV News . Now, two lawsuits from the girlfriend and the mother of Eugene Melnyk...
So About the COVID Scare
on That Cruise Ship...
Dec 10, 2020 9:04 AM CST
So About the COVID Scare on That Cruise Ship...
Elderly man actually didn't have the virus, officials now say of false alarm off Singapore
- That "cruise to nowhere" off of Singapore could have stayed out in nowhere for a little longer after all. Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas returned to port on Wednesday, a day earlier than the pleasure cruise was expected to, after an elderly man on board reportedly tested...
This Is Not the 2am Wakeup
Call You Want on a Cruise Ship
Dec 9, 2020 7:00 AM CST
This Is Not the 2am Wakeup Call You Want on a Cruise Ship
Passengers on Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas are stuck in Singapore port after COVID case
- Passengers on a Royal Caribbean "cruise to nowhere" really can't go anywhere—they're not even allowed to leave their rooms after a fellow shipmate tested positive for COVID-19, the
reports. In a Wednesday statement, Singapore Tourism Board rep Annie Chang says the 83-year-old Singaporean man...
First Caribbean Cruise Since
March Does Not Go Well
Nov 13, 2020 9:43 AM CST
First Caribbean Cruise Since March Does Not Go Well
10% of passengers have tested positive, according to a reporter on the ship
- Precautions were taken. And still some 10% of guests aboard the first cruise to the Caribbean since March have tested positive for coronavirus, according to a reporter on the ship. SeaDream Yacht Club's
set out for a seven-night cruise to St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Grenada...
Cruise Ships' Long Trips End:
'There Was Nowhere to Go'
Apr 20, 2020 7:37 AM CDT
Cruise Ships' Long Trips End: 'There Was Nowhere to Go'
3 vessels still with passengers scheduled to finally dock on Monday amid coronavirus crisis
- Believe it or not, there are still three cruise ships filled with passengers on the high seas—but all three are set to finally dock at various ports around the world on Monday, their around-the-globe itineraries thrown into disarray by the coronavirus pandemic. The BBC calls the MSC Magnifica, which...
Major Cruise Lines Take 'Bold
Action' Amid Virus Outbreak
Mar 12, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Major Cruise Lines Take 'Bold Action' Amid Virus Outbreak
Viking, Princess Cruises suspend global operations following travel advisory
- With the State Department warning Americans not to travel by cruise ship , two cruise lines are temporarily shutting down. Viking Cruises announced Thursday that it would suspend all operations in response to the coronavirus outbreak. It's "what is best for our guests and our employees," Chairman Torstein...
She Said She Wanted a Divorce.
Then, a Cruise Ship Nightmare
Feb 8, 2020 9:00 AM CST
She Said She Wanted a Divorce. Then, a Cruise Ship Nightmare
Kenneth Ray Manzanares pleads guilty to brutal killing of his wife on Emerald Princess
- A family vacation took a terrible turn aboard a Princess Cruises ship, and now the legal repercussions continue for one of the vacationers. Fox 13 reports that 42-year-old Kenneth Ray Manzanares has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for the killing of his wife, Kristy Manzanares, during a cruise to Alaska...
Coronavirus Diagnosis Traps
3.7K on Cruise Ship
Feb 4, 2020 9:45 AM CST
Coronavirus Diagnosis Traps 3.7K on Cruise Ship
Hong Kong resident spent 5 days on Diamond Princess, which has quarantined all aboard
- Coronavirus has found its way to a cruise ship. Princess Cruises says a passenger from Hong Kong was diagnosed with the virus at a local hospital, where he's in stable condition, after departing the Diamond Princess when it docked in Hong Kong on Jan. 25, per
From Cruise Ship
Nov 26, 2019 8:39 AM CST
Grandpa Who Dropped Toddler From Cruise Ship Breaks Silence
Salvatore Anello says he thought there was glass in front of granddaughter
- For the first time, an Indiana man accused of negligent homicide after his 18-month-old granddaughter fell to her death from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship is speaking publicly. In an interview with CBS News , Salvatore Anello recalls to David Begnaud what happened on that July day in Puerto Rico, when,...
First, a Name
Repeated on the
Oct 25, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
First, a Name Repeated on the Intercom. Then: 'Man Overboard'
Coast Guard searching for 26-year-old who apparently jumped off Carnival Dream near Texas
- Off the coast of Texas, a search is underway for a man who looks to have jumped off the balcony outside his room on a Carnival cruise. NBC News reports the US Coast Guard received a call shortly before 9pm Thursday that a Carnival Dream passenger, an unidentified 26-year-old man,...
Toddler Dies After
Her From Cruise Ship
Jul 8, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Toddler Dies After Grandfather Dangles Her From Cruise Ship
Puerto Rico authorities say the man lost his grip on Indiana girl
- A family cruise turned tragic Sunday afternoon when an 18-month-old girl died after her grandfather dangled her outside an 11th-story window on the ship and then lost his grip. Authorities tell the AP the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas was docked in San Juan, Puerto Rico, at the time....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Man Who Stood Up Wife at Airport Found 10 Years Later
Restaurant Axed Reservation After Staff Looked Up Group
Brittney Griner Freed by Russia, but at a 'Heavy Price'
Palace 'Might Be Relieved' by Harry & Meghan Series
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.