Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Rare Resignation Following
PM's 'Mixed Race' Comments
Jul 27, 2022 12:38 AM CDT
A Rare Resignation Following PM's 'Mixed Race' Comments
Viktor Orbán's remarks inexcusable, adviser says
An adviser to Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán has resigned in protest over Orbán's comments on the mixing of races. Zsuzsa Hegedus, whom the BBC describes as a member of Orbán's inner circle who has known him for two decades, called Orbán's...
Jill Biden Will Spend
Mother's Day Overseas
May 2, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Jill Biden Will Spend Mother's Day Overseas
First lady will be in Slovakia meeting with Ukrainian mothers and children who fled the war
- Jill Biden will spend Mother's Day meeting with Ukrainian mothers and children who have fled the Russian invasion. The Sunday meeting will take place in Slovakia, one of two eastern European countries the first lady plans to visit during a five-day trip that starts Thursday, per the AP . She...
At Embassy, an Act of
Apr 6, 2022 8:32 AM CDT
At Embassy, an Act of 'Anti-Russian Hysteria'
Man dies crashing his car into Russian embassy in Bucharest, Romania
- A man has died after crashing a car filled with flammable substances into the Russian embassy in the Romanian capital of Bucharest, according to police. A video showed the silver hatchback "engulfed in flames" while wedged in the embassy's gate around 6am local time Wednesday, before firefighters arrived,...
Romania's Trees Are Coveted,
Sometimes Dangerously So
Mar 20, 2022 3:10 PM CDT
Romania's Trees Are Coveted, Sometimes Dangerously So
Loggers in Romania wage bloody campaign to secure the last of Europe's old-growth forests
- Alexander Sammon's gripping piece on threats to one of the biggest remaining old-growth forests in the world—it's in Romania—for the
begins with a disturbing story about logging thugs who smash a documentary film crew’s equipment and nearly kill an activist. It's even...
Biden Sending Thousands
More Troops to Europe
Feb 2, 2022 9:07 AM CST
Biden Sending Thousands More Troops to Europe
US move meant to show support to NATO allies as tensions continue between Ukraine, Russia
- President Biden is sending about 2,000 troops from Fort Bragg, NC, to Poland and Germany this week, as well as sending part of an infantry Stryker squadron of roughly 1,000 troops based in Germany to Romania, a senior administration official said Wednesday, per the AP . The military moves...
Hit Record Highs
Nov 11, 2021 10:15 AM CST
COVID Cases Hit Record Highs in Germany, Netherlands
Meanwhile, Austria plans a lockdown for the unvaccinated
- Winter is approaching in Europe—and with it, a return to tighter COVID restrictions, at least for the unvaccinated. Reuters reports that, with strained ICUs and infections at a record high, Austria is planning a lockdown for the unvaccinated. Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said Thursday that the country is just days...
Billionaire and Family
Die After Plane Hits Building
Oct 4, 2021 5:01 AM CDT
Billionaire and Family Die After Plane Hits Building
Dan Petrescu was piloting the private jet in Milan
- A Romanian billionaire and his family were among the dead when a private jet flew into a building Sunday afternoon in Milan, Italy. All eight people on board were killed, including property tycoon Dan Petrescu, 68, his wife, and their 30-year-old son, the BBC reports. Family friends were also reportedly...
May 6, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Prince Accused of 'Harvesting' Huge Bear
Activists say he paid $8.4K for the opportunity
- Romanian police will investigate a possible poaching case involving an Austrian prince who is reported to have “wrongly” killed a massive male bear in a trophy hunt on a visit to the country’s Carpathian Mountains in March, authorities said Wednesday. Official hunting documents seen by the AP confirms...
Chased by Bear
Pulls Off 'Pretty
in case you missed it
Jan 31, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Skier Being Chased by Bear Pulls Off 'Pretty Cool Move'
Tense incident took place in Romania
- Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see? In this case, what the brown bear saw was a skier trying to outmaneuver it down a ski slope in Romania. Per the
New York Daily News
, the frightening incident took place Saturday at the Predeal mountain resort, where an unlucky tourist...
We Know How That Utah
Dec 1, 2020 11:34 AM CST
We Know How That Utah Monolith Disappeared
4 guys dismantled it at night, a photographer tells the 'New York Times'
- So where will a monolith turn up next? First, one popped up in the Utah desert, only to vanish . Then another turned up in Romania , but now it's gone, too. While nobody seems to know exactly what's going on, the
New York Times
has at least shed light...
Dec 1, 2020 1:56 AM CST
Another Mysterious Monolith Appears
This time in Romania
- Days after Utah's mysterious monolith disappeared , a very similar one has appeared elsewhere. This hollow, triangular, 13-foot monolith, which Sky News reports "bear[s] a close resemblance" to the one found in Utah, was found on Batca Doamnei Hill in the city of Piatra Neamt, facing a mountain known...
COVID ICU, Kills 10
Nov 15, 2020 9:06 AM CST
Fire Destroys COVID ICU, Kills 10
At least 10 others are injured in Romania hospital
- A fire at a hospital treating COVID-19 patients in northeastern Romania killed 10 people Saturday and injured 10 others, seven of them critically, reports the AP . Prosecutors quickly opened a criminal investigation. The blaze spread through the intensive care ward designated for COVID-19 patients at the public hospital in the...
Get Back Rare,
Stolen in 2017
Nov 10, 2020 2:06 PM CST
Relieved Owners Get Back Rare, Irreplaceable Books Stolen in 2017
Nearly all volumes intact after daring warehouse theft
- In the sort of break-in usually executed by a Tom Cruise character while background music adds to the tension, rare books worth millions were stolen from a London warehouse nearly four years ago. On Tuesday, police announced that the books have been returned to the proper owners, leading one of...
Mayor Dies of COVID,
Sep 28, 2020 4:55 PM CDT
Mayor Dies of COVID, Gets Re-Elected
'None of the other contenders got the same trust from the voters'
- In the Romanian village of Deveselu, Ion Aliman was a popular mayor—so popular that he was re-elected to a third term Sunday despite having died of COVID-19 complications 10 days earlier. Aliman, who would have turned 57 on election day, received 1,057 out of around 1,600 votes...
With Nearly 1M Dead,
Protesters Hit the Streets
Sep 19, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
With Nearly 1M Dead, Protesters Hit the Streets
Demonstrators make their voices heard in Tel Aviv, London, and Bucharest
- Demonstrators took the streets of London, Tel Aviv, and other cities on Saturday to protest coronavirus restrictions, decrying how the measures have affected daily life even with infection rates rising in many places and the global death toll approaching 1 million, the AP reports. In the UK, the latest official...
Ship With 15K Sheep Overturns
Nov 25, 2019 2:12 AM CST
Ship With 15K Sheep Overturns
Only 32 have been rescued, authorities say
- After a cargo ship carrying almost 15,000 sheep overturned off the coast of Romania on Sunday, authorities said all 22 crew members had been rescued—but only 32 sheep. The Queen Hind, which was bound for Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, with a cargo of around 14,600 live sheep, overturned...
Girl's Tragic Story Rocks
Nation and Its Government
Aug 4, 2019 2:30 PM CDT
Girl's Tragic Story Rocks Nation and Its Government
3 Romanian officials have lost their jobs over Alexandra Macesanu's disappearance
- The plight of a missing girl has rocked Romania and forced three officials—including the nation's education minister—out of their jobs. The tragic story hinges on emergency phone calls made by Alexandra Macesanu, 15, saying she had been kidnapped and raped after disappearing Wednesday while hitchhiking with a...
an Ethnic Minority
Jun 2, 2019 11:31 AM CDT
Pope Asks Forgiveness of an Ethnic Minority
Francis apologizes for 'discrimination, segregation, and mistreatment'
- Pope Francis apologized Sunday to the Roma ethnic minority for a history of discrimination in Europe and paid homage to Romanian Catholics persecuted during communist rule as he wrapped up his three-day visit with a message of forgiveness. Francis reached out to the minorities of Transylvania during a deeply symbolic...
Ex-Trump Family Driver
Is Behind Bars. Guess Why
Mar 30, 2019 4:25 PM CDT
Ex-Trump Family Driver Is Behind Bars. Guess Why
Zoltan Tamas was detained by ICE on immigration charges
- Not long ago, he was picking up Donald Trump's children at the airport. Now he's behind bars—and Zoltan Tamas' arrest is part of an immigration crackdown that's been hailed by the Trump administration, the
New York Times
reports. "Zoltan wasn't caught crossing the border,...
Yet Another Odd Twist in
the Case of a Stolen Picasso
Nov 19, 2018 7:19 AM CST
Yet Another Odd Twist in the Case of a Stolen Picasso
Writer thought she had been led to the painting. Apparently not
- For a brief moment, there was hope that a lost Picasso—one of seven artworks stolen from the Kunsthal Museum in Rotterdam, Netherlands, in 2012—had been found. Instead, it was seemingly another odd twist in an odd story. Mira Feticu, an author who penned a novel inspired by the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.