Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Prime Minister Rolls Out
First AI 'Adviser'
Mar 2, 2023 5:08 AM CST
Prime Minister Rolls Out First AI 'Adviser'
Romanian leader says 'Ion' will tell government what people want
- Romania's prime minister, apparently unfazed by the strange behavior of artificial intelligence chatbots elsewhere, has rolled out what he says is the first government adviser to use artificial intelligence. Politico reports that Nicolae Ciuca surprised members of his cabinet on Wednesday when he introduced them to Ion, an "...
Romania Scrambles Jets
After Mystery Objects Spotted
Feb 14, 2023 4:39 PM CST
Romania Scrambles Jets After Mystery Objects Spotted
Moldova also reported sightings
- Romania briefly scrambled military jets and neighboring Moldova temporarily closed its air space Tuesday after authorities in both countries reported mysterious weather balloon-like objects traversing their skies. The incidents occurred at around midday local time and briefly raised concerns in the two Eastern European countries, both of which border Ukraine...
Andrew Tate's Fleet
Jan 14, 2023 5:05 PM CST
Romania Seizes Andrew Tate's Fleet
Former kickboxer denies human trafficking in tweet
- Romanian authorities descended on a compound near Bucharest on Saturday to tow away a fleet of luxury cars and other assets worth an estimated $3.9 million in the case investigating Andrew Tate, the divisive social media personality who is detained in the country on charges of human trafficking. Romania'...
Dec 30, 2022 12:28 PM CST
He Trolled Greta Thunberg. Days Later, an Arrest
Influencer Andrew Tate, brother in custody in Romania on rape, human trafficking charges
This story has been updated to clarify how the pizza boxes came into play.
Earlier this week, climate change activist Greta Thunberg got into it online with Andrew Tate, a former kickboxer, TikTok star, and controversial influencer who, until recently, had been kicked off most social media platforms. Now, a...
History Forgot a
Nov 24, 2022 2:55 PM CST
History Forgot a Roman Emperor, Coins Suggest
Sponsian may have ruled over Dacia province 1.8K years ago: researchers
- Four coins unearthed in Romania's Transylvania region in 1713 depicted, it was thought at the time, an unknown Roman emperor. A century and a half later, Emperor Sponsian had been almost universally declared to be a fake, invented by forgers. Henry Cohen, a leading coin expert of the 19th...
A Rare Resignation Following
PM's 'Mixed Race' Comments
Jul 27, 2022 12:38 AM CDT
A Rare Resignation Following PM's 'Mixed Race' Comments
Viktor Orbán's remarks inexcusable, adviser says
An adviser to Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán has resigned in protest over Orbán's comments on the mixing of races. Zsuzsa Hegedus, whom the BBC describes as a member of Orbán's inner circle who has known him for two decades, called Orbán's...
Jill Biden Will Spend
Mother's Day Overseas
May 2, 2022 8:45 AM CDT
Jill Biden Will Spend Mother's Day Overseas
First lady will be in Slovakia meeting with Ukrainian mothers and children who fled the war
- Jill Biden will spend Mother's Day meeting with Ukrainian mothers and children who have fled the Russian invasion. The Sunday meeting will take place in Slovakia, one of two eastern European countries the first lady plans to visit during a five-day trip that starts Thursday, per the AP . She...
At Embassy, an Act of
Apr 6, 2022 8:32 AM CDT
At Embassy, an Act of 'Anti-Russian Hysteria'
Man dies crashing his car into Russian embassy in Bucharest, Romania
- A man has died after crashing a car filled with flammable substances into the Russian embassy in the Romanian capital of Bucharest, according to police. A video showed the silver hatchback "engulfed in flames" while wedged in the embassy's gate around 6am local time Wednesday, before firefighters arrived,...
Romania's Trees Are Coveted,
Sometimes Dangerously So
Mar 20, 2022 3:10 PM CDT
Romania's Trees Are Coveted, Sometimes Dangerously So
Loggers in Romania wage bloody campaign to secure the last of Europe's old-growth forests
- Alexander Sammon's gripping piece on threats to one of the biggest remaining old-growth forests in the world—it's in Romania—for the
begins with a disturbing story about logging thugs who smash a documentary film crew’s equipment and nearly kill an activist. It's even...
Biden Sending Thousands
More Troops to Europe
Feb 2, 2022 9:07 AM CST
Biden Sending Thousands More Troops to Europe
US move meant to show support to NATO allies as tensions continue between Ukraine, Russia
- President Biden is sending about 2,000 troops from Fort Bragg, NC, to Poland and Germany this week, as well as sending part of an infantry Stryker squadron of roughly 1,000 troops based in Germany to Romania, a senior administration official said Wednesday, per the AP . The military moves...
Hit Record Highs
Nov 11, 2021 10:15 AM CST
COVID Cases Hit Record Highs in Germany, Netherlands
Meanwhile, Austria plans a lockdown for the unvaccinated
- Winter is approaching in Europe—and with it, a return to tighter COVID restrictions, at least for the unvaccinated. Reuters reports that, with strained ICUs and infections at a record high, Austria is planning a lockdown for the unvaccinated. Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said Thursday that the country is just days...
Billionaire and Family
Die After Plane Hits Building
Oct 4, 2021 5:01 AM CDT
Billionaire and Family Die After Plane Hits Building
Dan Petrescu was piloting the private jet in Milan
- A Romanian billionaire and his family were among the dead when a private jet flew into a building Sunday afternoon in Milan, Italy. All eight people on board were killed, including property tycoon Dan Petrescu, 68, his wife, and their 30-year-old son, the BBC reports. Family friends were also reportedly...
May 6, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Prince Accused of 'Harvesting' Huge Bear
Activists say he paid $8.4K for the opportunity
- Romanian police will investigate a possible poaching case involving an Austrian prince who is reported to have “wrongly” killed a massive male bear in a trophy hunt on a visit to the country’s Carpathian Mountains in March, authorities said Wednesday. Official hunting documents seen by the AP confirms...
Chased by Bear
Pulls Off 'Pretty
in case you missed it
Jan 31, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Skier Being Chased by Bear Pulls Off 'Pretty Cool Move'
Tense incident took place in Romania
- Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see? In this case, what the brown bear saw was a skier trying to outmaneuver it down a ski slope in Romania. Per the
New York Daily News
, the frightening incident took place Saturday at the Predeal mountain resort, where an unlucky tourist...
We Know How That Utah
Dec 1, 2020 11:34 AM CST
We Know How That Utah Monolith Disappeared
4 guys dismantled it at night, a photographer tells the 'New York Times'
- So where will a monolith turn up next? First, one popped up in the Utah desert, only to vanish . Then another turned up in Romania , but now it's gone, too. While nobody seems to know exactly what's going on, the
New York Times
has at least shed light...
Dec 1, 2020 1:56 AM CST
Another Mysterious Monolith Appears
This time in Romania
- Days after Utah's mysterious monolith disappeared , a very similar one has appeared elsewhere. This hollow, triangular, 13-foot monolith, which Sky News reports "bear[s] a close resemblance" to the one found in Utah, was found on Batca Doamnei Hill in the city of Piatra Neamt, facing a mountain known...
COVID ICU, Kills 10
Nov 15, 2020 9:06 AM CST
Fire Destroys COVID ICU, Kills 10
At least 10 others are injured in Romania hospital
- A fire at a hospital treating COVID-19 patients in northeastern Romania killed 10 people Saturday and injured 10 others, seven of them critically, reports the AP . Prosecutors quickly opened a criminal investigation. The blaze spread through the intensive care ward designated for COVID-19 patients at the public hospital in the...
Get Back Rare,
Stolen in 2017
Nov 10, 2020 2:06 PM CST
Relieved Owners Get Back Rare, Irreplaceable Books Stolen in 2017
Nearly all volumes intact after daring warehouse theft
- In the sort of break-in usually executed by a Tom Cruise character while background music adds to the tension, rare books worth millions were stolen from a London warehouse nearly four years ago. On Tuesday, police announced that the books have been returned to the proper owners, leading one of...
Mayor Dies of COVID,
Sep 28, 2020 4:55 PM CDT
Mayor Dies of COVID, Gets Re-Elected
'None of the other contenders got the same trust from the voters'
- In the Romanian village of Deveselu, Ion Aliman was a popular mayor—so popular that he was re-elected to a third term Sunday despite having died of COVID-19 complications 10 days earlier. Aliman, who would have turned 57 on election day, received 1,057 out of around 1,600 votes...
With Nearly 1M Dead,
Protesters Hit the Streets
Sep 19, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
With Nearly 1M Dead, Protesters Hit the Streets
Demonstrators make their voices heard in Tel Aviv, London, and Bucharest
- Demonstrators took the streets of London, Tel Aviv, and other cities on Saturday to protest coronavirus restrictions, decrying how the measures have affected daily life even with infection rates rising in many places and the global death toll approaching 1 million, the AP reports. In the UK, the latest official...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.