Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
One City Is America's Happiest
Mar 13, 2023 1:18 PM CDT
One City Is America's Happiest
Folks in Fremont, California are walking around with smiles on their faces, per WalletHub
- If you're seeking contentment in a world that seems extra stressful these days, WalletHub is on the case. The site looked at more than 180 of the biggest cities in America, examining 30 metrics in three main categories:
emotional and physical well-being
, which covers everything from life expectancy and...
This Is America's
Most Active City
Jan 21, 2023 10:00 AM CST
This Is America's Most Active City
WalletHub ranks Honolulu as being most conducive to an active lifestyle; see where other cities stand
- If you've decided that 2023 is the year when you're going to get your fitness act together, that motivation is the first step to a better you. Of course, things beyond our control often derail even the best-laid plans, including whether where we live is conducive to living...
This Is the Best City in
America if You're Single
Nov 28, 2022 1:09 PM CST
This Is the Best City in America if You're Single
Seattle tops WalletHub's ranking, and there are plenty of other options across the US
- Looking for love these days can be tough. Along with people still exercising caution over COVID and prices spiking due to inflation, the dating scene can prove challenging all around. To help take that unintended sting out of Cupid's arrow, WalletHub put 182 cities across the US under the...
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst
US Cities to Be Car-Less
Nov 15, 2022 9:07 AM CST
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst US Cities to Be Car-Less
You don't need wheels to get around San Francisco, per LawnStarter
- In some places, not having a car could adversely affect everything from employment opportunities to how you spend your downtime. LawnStarter wanted to see where a vehicle isn't as necessary for your daily routine, so it looked at the 200 largest cities in the US to measure their standings...
Children's Museum Worker
Fired for Halloween Costume
Nov 2, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Children's Museum Worker Fired for Halloween Costume
Man who wandered downtown Madison, Wis., in Hitler outfit is said to have cognitive disabilities
- A Wisconsin man has lost his job at the Madison Children's Museum over his choice of Halloween costume. Per a Monday statement from the museum, the unidentified employee was spotted Saturday night wandering around the city's downtown "dressed and otherwise [portraying] himself as Hitler." Madison.com...
Here Are the Most,
Least Educated US Cities
Jul 24, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Here Are the Most, Least Educated US Cities
Ann Arbor, Michigan, tops WalletHub's list, while Visalia, California, comes in last
- Where college grads head to after they've thrown their caps in the air can make or break a city's smarts cachet. WalletHub wanted to see which US cities can claim that "most educated" prestige, so it looked at 150 of the most populated metropolitan areas around the...
Here Are the Best, Worst Cities
in America to Raise a Family
May 31, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Here Are the Best, Worst Cities in America to Raise a Family
Fremont, California, comes out on top; Detroit is last, per WalletHub
- Moving is a part of life—and for the family-oriented, it's especially critical to find a decent location to set down roots. WalletHub has tried to ease the burden by crunching the numbers in more than 180 of the country's largest cities, looking at nearly four dozen metrics...
Daughter's Boyfriend Guilty
of Killing Her Parents
May 24, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Daughter's Boyfriend Guilty of Killing Her Parents
Khari Sanford convicted of killing University of Wisconsin physician and her husband
A man has been found guilty of fatally shooting a University of Wisconsin physician and her husband, who were the parents of his girlfriend, and leaving their bodies at the school's arboretum. Jurors in Dane County on Monday convicted 20-year-old Khari Sanford of two counts of first-degree intentional...
Anti-Abortion Group After HQ
Arson: 'We Will Not Back Down'
May 9, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Anti-Abortion Group After HQ Arson: 'We Will Not Back Down'
Wisconsin Family Action's offices in Madison, Wis., were vandalized, set on fire
- With a looming final decision by the Supreme Court on Roe v. Wade as the backdrop, the pushback against anti-abortion legislation is ramping up . In Wisconsin over the weekend, that defiance took the form of vandalism and arson at the offices of an anti-abortion group, which issued its own defiant...
Want a Perpetual Smile
on Your Face? Move Here
Mar 1, 2022 9:40 AM CST
Want a Perpetual Smile on Your Face? Move Here
WalletHub ranks the happiest cities in the US, with 6 out of the top 10 falling in one state
- Bobby McFerrin can only offer so many insinuations that being happy is just a state of mind. After all, there are real, measurable factors that can help boost one's happiness level, and in some parts of the US, those factors can be found in spades. WalletHub looked at more...
10 US Cities Where
People Really Care
Dec 14, 2021 11:05 AM CST
10 US Cities Where People Really Care
Madison, Wis., ranks highest in WalletHub's ranking
- In a world that's become unpredictable, it's comforting to know that across the country, there are still people who care. In some US cities, that compassion and concern for others' well-being has taken priority, and WalletHub is giving them their due. The site looked at America's 100...
OK, We Get It—This
City Is Extremely Fit
Jul 13, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
OK, We Get It—This City Is Extremely Fit
Arlington, Va., named fittest city in America for 4th straight year on ACSM's annual list
- For the 14th straight year, the American College of Sports Medicine, in conjunction with the Anthem Foundation, has published its Fitness Index , ranking America's largest 100 cities and Washington, DC, on more than 30 indicators regarding various health behaviors, local infrastructure, and chronic diseases. And for the fourth year...
10 Most, Least
Stressed US Cities
Jul 12, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
10 Most, Least Stressed US Cities
Per WalletHub, Cleveland needs a chill pill, while S. Burlington in Vermont is kicking back just fine
- It's been a tough 16 months, and stress levels have been high—though in some cities across the country, that stress has been tougher to contend with than in others. WalletHub wanted to see which places have been dealing with things best (and which not so much), so it...
This Is the Best City
in America for Families
Jun 1, 2021 12:23 PM CDT
This Is the Best City in America for Families
Overland Park in Kansas gets top billing
- Figuring out the best place to raise a family can seem like an overwhelming task, but WalletHub's latest analysis may shed some light. The site shook out stats for 182 of the most populated cities in the nation, examining four dozen metrics across five main categories: family fun (think...
Priest Who Held Voter-Fraud
Exorcisms Leaves Diocese
Jan 27, 2021 8:37 AM CST
Priest Who Held Voter-Fraud Exorcisms Leaves Diocese
Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, who didn't have OK from bishop, says he's going to work on his 'mo jo'
- Earlier this month, the Diocese of Madison announced a "mutual" agreement between itself and one of its "freelancer" priests regarding his departure. Now, more on what prompted that. Per the
Wisconsin State Journal
, the Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a member of Wisconsin's clergy who also runs his own...
That Caused Outcry
on Campus Set
Nov 20, 2020 2:11 PM CST
70-Ton Boulder That Caused Outcry on Campus Set for Removal
UW-Madison students say Chamberlin Rock serves as symbol of school's racist past
- A 70-ton boulder that's been a "painful reminder" at the University of Wisconsin-Madison will soon be seen no more. Per the
Wisconsin State Journal
, the college's Campus Planning Committee unanimously voted last week to recommend to Chancellor Rebecca Blank that Chamberlin Rock be removed from Observatory Hill,...
After a Night of Upheaval, Enter
the Wisconsin National Guard
Jun 24, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
After a Night of Upheaval, Enter the Wisconsin National Guard
Move follows fire, vandalism, violence in Madison
- Gov. Tony Evers says he's preparing to activate the Wisconsin National Guard after a night of unrest in Madison that included an assault on a state senator. It was apparently triggered by the arrest of a protest organizer. A video shows Devonere Johnson, a black man who also goes...
in College Slayings
Apr 3, 2020 3:21 PM CDT
18-Year-Old Arrested in College Slayings
Couple was found outside Wisconsin university's arboretum
- A suspect is in custody in the slayings of a couple found this week at the University of Wisconsin-Madison's arboretum. Khari Sanford, 18, faces two counts of first-degree murder, the school's police chief said. Dr. Beth Potter, 52, and her husband, Robin Carre, 57, were killed. Chief Kristen...
70M Americans Face
Severe Weather Forecast
Mar 28, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
70M Americans Face Severe Weather Forecast
That could include tornadoes and hail
- Good thing Americans have nothing else to worry about—because severe storms that might include hail and tornadoes are forecast for a good swath of the country on Saturday, CNN reports. "Over 70 million Americans face the threat of severe weather today, with the greatest threat for a significant...
Here Are the Happiest,
Least Happy US Cities
in case you missed it
Mar 14, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
Here Are the Happiest, Least Happy US Cities
Half of the top 10 cities brimming with joy are in the Golden State
- Happiness may be a state of mind, but it may also depend on the state of where you live. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's biggest cities to see how they ranked in terms of contentment, examining 30 metrics in three main categories: emotional and physical well-being,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.