Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 3,374,654+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 21 - 40 |
Golfer's Temper Tantrum Earns Rare Penalty
Sergio Garcia is disqualified from tournament after damaging multiple greens
- Pro golfer Sergio Garcia had a rotten day on the course Saturday. Just ask the golfers who had to play behind him—on the greens he damaged in anger. The
reports that Garcia damaged no fewer than six greens at the inaugural Saudi International, a feat that got him...
Caddie's Mistake Costs Golfer Nearly $100K
Mike Burrow stood in the wrong place, apparently, near golfer Haotong Li—but there's controversy
- Haotong Li was in a tie for third place heading into the 18th hole at the Omega Dubai Desert Classic in the UAE on Sunday. Then the Chinese pro golfer's caddie stood in the wrong place, at the wrong time.
notes Mike Burrow apparently broke a new...
Homes on Golf Courses Used to Be Hot. Not Anymore
'Wall Street Journal' looks at how declining interest in the game is hurting real estate prices
- For a while, it was all the rage to develop housing on or near a golf course. Today, however, interest in golf is on the wane. Put those two things together and you've got a giant headache for everyone involved—homeowners who once paid a premium are watching home...
There Was $9M on the Line, and One Golfer Got It All
Phil Mickelson wins match against Tiger Woods with birdie on 22nd hole
- It was billed as golf's first pay-per-view broadcast: Phil Mickelson vs. Tiger Woods in a $9 million made-for-TV match Friday in Las Vegas. Only 700 invited guests were allowed to watch, and what they saw was Mickelson win on the 22nd hole. Mickelson was 1 up after 16 holes...
Golf Fan Struck by Ball Loses Sight in One Eye
Corine Remande was hit by a Brooks Koepka tee shot in the Ryder Cup
- A woman who got hit by a tee shot while watching the Ryder Cup last week has received some awful news: Doctors have told Corine Remande she has lost the use of one eye, reports AFP . "The scan on Friday confirmed a fracture of the right eye-socket and an...
Man Who Never Golfed Freed From Prison Thanks to Game
Valentino Dixon's murder conviction is vacated after 27 years
- A New York inmate who has never golfed a game in his life is now a free man, with his innocence restored to him thanks to the game.
has the incredible conclusion to the story of Valentino Dixon, a 48-year-old who caught the magazine's attention six years...
Acclaimed Spanish Golfer Murdered on Iowa Course
Iowa State University's female athlete of the year died in assault: cops
- A 22-year-old golfer headed for the height of her sport was instead murdered on the course. Wrapping up a civil engineering degree at Iowa State University, where she'd been named female athlete of the year, Spain's Celia Barquín Arozamena was found dead a short distance from her...
Tiger Woods Is Asked About Trump, Trump Loves His Reply
Tiger didn't take the bait from the 'fake news media,' he tweets
- President Trump thinks Tiger Woods' interviewing skills are as good as his golf ones, or so he suggested in a Monday tweet . After finishing up the Northern Trust tourney Sunday, the golfer was asked by the press about his relationship with Trump, whom he has golfed with on several occasions....
Pro Golfer Slams His Club, Spectator Needs 6 Stitches
Kevin Stadler's broken club hits a bystander in the head
- If pro golfer Kevin Stadler wants to achieve the same greatness as his dad, former Masters champion Craig Stadler, he might want to work on his anger management. While competing in Portland Friday in a Web.com tournament—kind of a PGA minor league—Stadler slammed his club against the...
Tiger Woods, Mickelson Will Play 1-on-1 for $10M
Pair reportedly will face off in a winner-take-all 'death match'
- A "$10 million winner-take-all, 18-hole death match" is how it's being billed by Golf.com , and it's got the sport's two highest-profile "frenemies" vying for the kitty. Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are said to be gearing up for the showdown, which Mickelson notes was...
John Daly: USGA Won't Give Me a Cart, So I Quit
Golfer withdraws from US Senior Open after request to use cart is denied
- John Daly says he was forced to withdraw from the US Senior Open in Colorado Springs because his request to use a golf cart under the Americans With Disabilities Act was denied. The golfer, who's been battling a right knee injury, announced his withdrawal from the event in a...
US Open Broadcast Picks Up Surprise 'Rough' Talk
That microphone heard something unexpected
- The US Open broadcast on Fox Sports took a strange turn Friday when a microphone inadvertently picked up a guy bragging about rough sex with his "ex," the
reports. Announcer Joe Buck was setting up a shot by golfer Patrick Reed at around 1:45pm EST...
Phil Mickelson Gets Into Bizarre Trouble at US Open
Golfer penalized after swatting a moving ball at Shinnecock
- Phil Mickelson intentionally hit a moving putt on the 13th green Saturday, then asked the USGA to explain the ruling after hearing suggestions that he should be disqualified from the US Open. His bogey putt from above the hole ran by the cup and was headed down a slope when...
Golf Club Sorry for Calling Cops on Group of Black Members
'It was a horrific experience,' says one of the women
- A golf club in Pennsylvania has apologized for calling police on a group of black women after the co-owner and his father said they were playing too slowly and refused requests to leave the course, the AP reports. "I felt we were discriminated against," one of the women,...
'Captain America' Wins the Masters
Patrick Reed does it, in a notably fuchsia shirt
- Patrick Reed became famous playing for his country. He won for himself Sunday and became a Masters champion. It was never easy, just the way Reed likes it. Rory McIlroy came after him early. Jordan Spieth roared to life with a final-round charge and briefly caught Reed with a 35-foot...
Suddenly, Tiger Woods Has Masters Abuzz Again
He's seen as a strong contender this weekend after all but disappearing from golf
- The Masters gets underway Thursday, and club chairman Fred Ridley says he can't remember any previous one generating so much buzz. The main reason: Tiger Woods, who has returned to competition after a fourth back surgery and suddenly looks very much like a 14-time major champion capable of resuming...
Tony Romo's PGA Tour Debut Went Very, Very Poorly
Former NFL quarterback finished dead last in 132-man field
- Tony Romo nailed his broadcasting debut last year. The former Dallas Cowboys quarterback probably wishes his PGA Tour debut went as smoothly. The AP reports Romo finished last Friday in the 132-man field in the Corales Puntacana Resort and Club Championship, bogeying the first six holes in a 10-over 82....
Design for Presidential Seal Tee Markers Causes a Fuss
They're apparently destined for Trump-owned courses, which could be illegal
- A minor controversy is brewing over the presidential seal and an apparent attempt to use it to adorn golf courses owned by President Trump. The problem with that idea? It might be illegal. As ProPublica explains, the Trump Organization recently ordered the manufacture of tee markers emblazoned with the seal...
U2 Will Break 'Sacred Pledge,' and You Could Take Part
Up for a game of mini-golf?
- When the members of U2 were just young Irish lads, they made "a sacred pledge" to each other that has remained steadfast throughout their decades-long run as rock stars: Never play golf. "We didn't think it was rock 'n' roll," frontman Bono tells the AP...
Billy Bush Hospitalized After Golf Accident
He says he 'dodged a bullet'
- Monday wasn't a great day for Billy Bush, but the former
co-host kept his sense of humor: "FORE! ... I think I dodged a bullet... but sadly not a golf ball," he said in an Instagram post from Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles. "Let the jokes...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
MythBusters Co-Host Dead at 49
In Rural Oregon, a 'Last Resort' for Conservative Residents
Search for Naya Rivera Has Come to an End
Dancing With the Stars Ousts Host After 15 Years
Influencer, 24, and Her Unborn Baby Die Suddenly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.