Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At Texas School, a Fight
Over Boy's Dreadlocks
Sep 18, 2023 1:44 PM CDT
At Texas School, a Fight Over Boy's Dreadlocks
Darryl George, 17, suspended for violating dress code same week a law protecting hair was enacted
- The same week his state outlawed racial discrimination based on hairstyles, the AP reports that a Black high school student in Texas was suspended because school officials said his locks violated the district's dress code. Darryl George, a junior at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, received an...
Police Chief Balks
Sep 9, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Albuquerque Police Chief Balks at Governor's Emergency Order
After shootings, New Mexico's Michelle Lujan Grisham suspends open, concealed carry in city
- New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham on Friday issued an emergency order suspending the right to carry firearms in public across Albuquerque and the surrounding county for at least 30 days after a spate of gun violence. The Democratic governor said she expects legal challenges but was compelled to act...
Orlando's Top Prosecutor
Aug 9, 2023 9:39 AM CDT
DeSantis Suspends Orlando's Top Prosecutor
Accuses state attorney of 'allowing violent criminals to roam the streets'
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Wednesday suspended the top prosecutor in Orlando, saying she had neglected her duty to prosecute criminals. "It is my duty as governor to ensure that the laws enacted by our duly elected Legislature are followed," DeSantis said during a news conference announcing the...
Teen Suspended for
Mocking Principal Sues
Jul 24, 2023 10:35 AM CDT
Teen Suspended for Mocking Principal Sues
Tennessee student says free speech rights were violated after Instagram posts made fun of school
- It's not unusual for students to poke fun of teachers or administrators, but one high school principal who suspended a teen for doing so is now on the receiving end of a First Amendment lawsuit. The
reports on the complaint filed Wednesday in the US District Court...
MLB Suspends Star
in 'Sticky' Debate
Apr 21, 2023 5:35 PM CDT
MLB Suspends Star in 'Sticky' Debate
Max Scherzer insists he used only resin before being kicked out of game
- Major League Baseball's crackdown against pitchers putting illegal substances on the ball has taken the highest-paid player in the game off the field—an enforcement that apparently rests on the subtle difference between "tacky" and "sticky." Max Scherzer, a three-time winner of the Cy Young Award,...
NHL Has a
to Contend With
Oct 10, 2022 7:38 AM CDT
NHL Has a New Scandal to Contend With
Tampa Bay Lightning suspends Ian Cole after woman alleges he sexually abused her as a minor
- The Tampa Bay Lightning suspended defenseman Ian Cole pending an investigation into allegations made on social media that he sexually abused a woman when she was a minor. The Lightning said Sunday night they were fully cooperating with the NHL on an investigation and were making the decision to suspend...
Texas Doctor Faces
Accused of Putting
Drugs in IV Bags
Sep 15, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Texas Doctor Faces Federal Charges, Accused of Putting Drugs in IV Bags
Dallas police have arrested Raynaldo Rivera Ortiz Jr.
: Dallas police arrested an anesthesiologist Wednesday on federal charges after an investigation into the death of a fellow physician and cardiac emergencies suffered by several other people. Raynaldo Rivera Ortiz Jr. is suspected of injecting nerve blocking agents and other drugs into patient IV bags at the surgery center...
Critics Fault Facebook Move
on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Aug 19, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Critics Fault Facebook Move on RFK Jr.'s Group: 'Too Late'
Children's Health Defense anti-vax nonprofit also booted off Instagram
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has already been personally kicked off of Instagram. Now the social media platform—along with Facebook, also owned by Meta—has booted Kennedy's nonprofit, too, for repeatedly breaching rules on spreading misinformation about COVID-19, vaccines, and other pandemic health measures. The two platforms this week...
Shakes Up MLB
Aug 13, 2022 3:05 PM CDT
Star's Suspension Shakes Up MLB
Tatis is out till next year after testing positive for performance-enhancing substance
- The San Diego Padres had just cleaned out their farm system for trades to build a team capable of reaching the World Series. The biggest addition, just before the trade deadline last week, was Juan Soto, an outfielder who's one of the biggest stars in the game. They already...
NFL Says Deshaun
Watson Should Be
Jun 28, 2022 11:47 AM CDT
NFL Says Deshaun Watson Should Be Suspended
The decision will be made by the league's disciplinary officer
- The NFL has recommended an indefinite suspension of at least a year for Deshaun Watson, the Cleveland Browns QB embroiled in numerous sexual misconduct allegations. The announcement came ahead of a hearing in which former federal judge Sue L. Robinson—who serves as the NFL's disciplinary officer—will rule...
Sexist Joke Leads to Staff
Jun 7, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
Sexist Joke Leads to Staff Turmoil at
Journalist Dave Weigel has been suspended for a retweet, and colleagues are now fighting about it all
- A blowup among staffers at the
has ended up going very public, leading to apparent disciplinary measures for journalist Dave Weigel. Sources tell CNN Business that Weigel has been suspended for a month without pay after he retweeted a sexist joke from YouTuber Cam Harless, who
Player for Slap
May 28, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
MLB Suspends Player for Slap Over Fantasy Football
Tommy Pham struck Joc Pederson before their game began
- Tommy Pham's handling of a disagreement over the rules for fantasy football, and tension over the money riding on it, has cost the ballplayer more than $100,000. The Reds outfielder slapped Joc Pederson of the San Francisco Giants during batting practice Friday, before their game in Cincinnati, the...
High School Coach
Jan 7, 2022 7:15 AM CST
High School Coach Suspended After 92-4 Win: 'No Mercy'
Conn. girls basketball coach Jason Kirck slammed for unsportsmanlike conduct
- If your basketball team is winning by, say, 30 points, it's usually considered unsportsmanlike to keep making fast breaks and shooting three-pointers. Jason Kirck is finding out the hard way what happens when you violate that often-unspoken sports etiquette to the extreme. The coach was handed a suspension after...
Memes And Racist Messages
Get Firefighters Suspended
Oct 3, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
Memes And Racist Messages Get Firefighters Suspended
Some mocked George Floyd
- After several black members of the FDNY reported that some white firefighters were sharing racist memes and messages between each other, leaders say they took action. “When these memes were reported we investigated in and the suspension were the result,” FDNY spokesman Jim Long told the
YouTube Dumps Rand Paul
for a Week Over Mask Misinfo
Aug 11, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
YouTube Dumps Rand Paul for a Week Over Mask Misinfo
GOP senator calls his weeklong booting a 'badge of honor'
- Marjorie Taylor Greene isn't the only Republican lawmaker who's temporarily lost social media privileges . On Tuesday, the same day that Twitter placed the Georgia congresswoman on a seven-day break for posting misinformation on the COVID vaccine, GOP Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky received his own weeklong suspension from...
Twitter Escalates Penalty
for Latest Greene Tweet
Aug 10, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Twitter Escalates Penalty for Latest Greene Tweet
Suspension for vaccine misinformation, this time for 7 days, comes 3 weeks after another
- Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene is getting ever closer to a permanent Twitter ban. The platform announced Tuesday that it had suspended the congresswoman for a week for a misleading tweet about COVID-19 vaccines sent hours earlier. Greene wrote that the FDA "should not approve the covid vaccines" because "...
Speech on COVID
Dinged on YT
Jun 12, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Senator's Speech on COVID Treatments Gets Dinged on YT
Ron Johnson earns one-week suspension after site says he spread medical misinformation
- Ron Johnson had some thoughts earlier this month on treatments for COVID, and those nuggets have now earned him a one-week suspension from YouTube. The Republican senator from Wisconsin made a June 3 appearance at the Milwaukee Press Club, where he slammed both the Trump and Biden administrations for "...
Radio Host Fired for Racist
Remarks in Toast Chat
Mar 25, 2021 9:35 AM CDT
Radio Host Fired for Racist Remarks in Toast Chat
Rob Lederman likened toaster settings to color of Black women's skin
- "I may get into trouble for this," Buffalo radio host Rob Lederman said Wednesday morning before likening his toaster settings to the skin color of Black women he finds attractive. He was correct. By the end of the day, the
co-host had been fired by 97...
NBA Star Feels the Heat
After 'Inexcusable' Comment
Mar 12, 2021 7:00 AM CST
NBA Star Feels the Heat After 'Inexcusable' Comment
Miami Heat's Meyers Leonard fined $50K, suspended for week for using anti-Semitic slur
- The Miami Heat pulled forward Meyers Leonard away from the team "indefinitely" this week after he was caught on video using an anti-Semitic slur, and now the Heat has qualified what "indefinitely" means. The 29-year-old will be suspended from all team activities and barred from using Heat facilities...
Figure in Hot
Feb 23, 2021 7:31 AM CST
Another Media Figure in Hot Water Over Racial Slur
Mike Pesca, host of Slate's 'The Gist' podcast, argued with co-workers on Slack about n-word
- In somewhat meta media news, the host for Slate's
podcast has been suspended indefinitely without pay after using a racial slur in a Slack conversation with co-workers about another media figure who used the racial slur. Pesca tells the
New York Times
he was suspended Monday, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.