Did the 2020 race for the White House just get its first candidate? If you take Kanye West at his word, then yes. Here are the highlights from his 10-minute acceptance speech after nabbing the Video Vanguard Award at last night's VMAs, per Rolling Stone:
- On his 2009 Taylor Swift diss: "It crosses my mind a little bit when I go to a baseball game and 60,000 people boo me," he said. "If I had a daughter at that time, would I have went onstage and grabbed the mic from someone else?"
- On MTV: "You know how many times MTV ran that footage again? Because it got them more ratings. You know how many times they announced Taylor was going to give me the award. Because it got them more ratings."
- On, um, something?: "All this shit they run about beef and all that, sometimes I feel like that I died for artists to be able to have an opinion after they were successful."
- On being a changed man—or not: "I just wanted people to like me more. But f*** that, bro! 2015. I will die for the art—for what I believe in—and the art ain't always gonna be polite."
- On running for president: West praised the "new mentality" of millennials, adding "as you probably could've guessed by this moment, I have decided in 2020 to run for president."
- Then again: He also said he "rolled up a little something. I knocked the edge off" before coming on stage, so we'll see what he says when his mind is a bit clearer.
(Read more Kanye West