Once again, the Emmy Awards are being talked about almost as much for the dizzying variety of fashions on display as for the awards themselves—with a few outfits controversial enough to feature on some best-dressed lists while being named as major misses by others. A selection of critics' picks:
- Sarah Paulson. Her striking emerald green Prada dress had her at or near the top of many best-dressed lists, including that of the Los Angeles Times.
- Kristen Bell. She had what AOL calls an "organic and romantic look" in a floral Zuhair Murad gown.
- Angela Bassett. She was "confident and statuesque" in her yellow Christian Siriano gown, writes Cindy Kelly at USA Today.
- Priyanka Chopra "absolutely rocked the red carpet" in her stunning red number, writes Ann Tatko-Peterson at the Mercury News.
- Kerry Washington. Strapless cutouts while pregnant may not be for everyone, but she "definitely has the whole maternity glam thing handled," writes Nina Terrero at Entertainment Weekly.
- Anna Chlumsky topped many worst-dressed lists with what New York calls a "pale-pink cocoon-with-a-cape" and AOL calls a "bedazzled trash bag."
- Laura Carmichael. Yellow and lavender was not a combination that worked for her, according to Yahoo and many others.
- Sarah Paulson. The gown that wowed some critics made her look like a "Christmas decoration gone wrong" to the Mercury News.
- Gwendoline Christie. Her dress gave out what E! Online calls "major prom vibes."
- Sarah Hyland. She had one of the night's most talked-about outfits and while it had its fans, the "embroidered corset and pants ensemble by Monique Lhuillier didn't quite come together, and the long train was also a bit of overkill," according to Entertainment Tonight.
(Read more Emmy Awards