X

Cosby Lawyers: Our Witness Says Accuser Is Lying

Woman claims that star's accuser made up the allegations to get rich
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Jan 26, 2018 11:53 AM CST
Cosby Lawyers Say Prosecutors Destroyed Evidence
Bill Cosby departs a pretrial hearing in his sexual assault case on Aug. 22, 2017, in Norristown, Pa.   (AP Photo/Matt Rourke, File)

(Newser) – Bill Cosby's lawyers are accusing prosecutors of withholding and destroying evidence that could have helped him, reports the AP. Cosby's lawyers, who want his criminal sexual assault case dismissed before his April retrial, say in court papers Thursday that prosecutors only recently informed them of an interview last year with a woman who cast doubts on Andrea Constand's allegations that Cosby drugged and molested her in 2004. They also say detectives destroyed their notes from the interview. The woman, Marguerite Jackson, says Constand told her of a plan to falsely accuse a "high-profile person" so she could sue and get money, per a court affidavit.

story continues below

At Cosby's first trial, resulting in a hung jury, the judge blocked Jackson's testimony, and Cosby's attorneys have asked that she be allowed to testify in the upcoming trial. The two women worked together at Temple University, and Jackson says that a TV news report about a celebrity accused of drugging and assaulting women prompted Constand to claim that something like that had happened to her, per Philly.com. She then said she wasn't actually assaulted, but added, “I could say it happened, file charges, and get money to go to school and open a business," according to the affidavit. Constand's lawyer says Jackson is lying. (Read more Bill Cosby stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.

X