Police in Florida's Broward County continue to investigate Monday's fatal shooting of 20-year-old rapper XXXTentacion, but they have no suspects at the moment, reports the AP. Two armed men approached the rapper, real name Jahseh Onfroy, in his vehicle as he left a motorcycle dealership, and at least one opened fire. One theory is that it was a deadly robbery, given that the gunmen took a Louis Vuitton bag from the rapper's BMW, reports TMZ. In the meantime, plenty is being written about Onfroy's brief and violent life:
- The music: He "was known for his experimental, punk-infused and indie rock-influenced subgenre of hip hop called SoundCloud rap," reports the South Florida Sun Sentinel. The name came from the online streaming service where it was originally posted. One of his big musical influences was Kurt Cobain.
- Breakout song: It was called "Look at Me!" Watch the video, which is NSFW, here.
- Definitive profile: Miami New Times profiled XXXTentacion earlier this month, and former girlfriend Geneva Ayala provided graphic details of his alleged abuse, both physical and verbal. "His favorite thing was to just backhand my mouth," Ayala says. "That always left welts inside my lips." XXXTentacion was awaiting trial on a slew of charges, including aggravated battery of a pregnant girlfriend.
- Early violence: XXXTentacion once said in an interview that he used to beat other kids in school "just to hear my mom yell at me or talk to me," reports the Washington Post. He spent time in a group home and would later boast of savagely beating a gay roommate. In recent years, in addition to the alleged abuse of his pregnant girlfriend, XXXTentacion also was charged with home invasion robbery and witness tampering.
- Another take: "His music, a combination of hip-hop and emo that was depressive, and at times devastating, reflected a life lived with disregard for humanity, both other people’s and his own," writes Sam Wolfson at the Guardian.
- Kanye a fan: "rest in peace," tweeted Kanye West. "I never told you how much you inspired me when you were here thank you for existing"
- Drake was not: XXXTentacion was in a nasty public feud with Drake because he thought the older musician had borrowed too heavily from "Look at Me!", notes People. Other rappers sided with Drake, including 600Breezy, who warned that he had "a couple n------ that will knock you off in your own city."
- Success: XXXTentacion had made it big, thanks in large part to his sophomore album, ?, and TMZ reports that he was having a mansion constructed in Parkland, Fla., at the time of his death.
- On his own death: “If I’m going to die or ever be a sacrifice, I want to make sure that my life made at least five million kids happy or they found some sort of answers or resolve in my life regardless of the negative around my name, regardless of the bad things people say to me,” he once wrote on Instagram.
(Read more xxxtentacion