President Trump still plans to make his State of the Union address as scheduled next week despite the letter from House Speaker Nancy Pelosi recommending he delay it or submit it in writing due to the government shutdown, sources tell the AP, NBC News, and Fox News. "She invited, we accepted," says NBC's source, referring to Pelosi's initial invitation, issued before her letter. ABC News and Politico's sources say Republicans are encouraging Trump to announce he will deliver the address as planned in an attempt to force Pelosi to officially rescind her invitation, a move they feel would spark backlash. An anonymous White House official says the White House sent a letter to the House Sergeant at Arms Tuesday requesting to schedule a walk-through for the speech, with the anticipation of a Jan. 29 address from the Capitol as planned. A previous walk-through planned for last week was canceled at Pelosi's request.
Sources say Trump is currently planning to be at the Capitol on the 29th to give the speech. However, contingency plans (including other venues, possibly even outside Washington) and alternatives (a rally, for instance) are also being considered, and all the details remain unclear at this point. "We are still in a holding pattern," one senior source says. In fact, ABC's sources say Trump is preparing two different speeches: One for members of Congress, as originally planned, if the speech is given in DC; the other for a rally audience if the speech is given outside DC. White House Deputy Press Secretary Hogan Gidley said Tuesday during an appearance on Fox that if Pelosi ultimately blocks Trump from delivering the address on the House floor, "there are many ways he can" still deliver it. (Pelosi responds to Trump canceling her trip.)