Juice WRLD, the rapper who died after suffering a medical problem at a Chicago airport last month, died of an accidental overdose of oxycodone and codeine, officials said Wednesday. He was 21. The rapper, whose legal name was Jarad Anthony Higgins, had a seizure at Midway Airport while police and federal agents were searching luggage. Police said they found 41 bags of what appeared to be marijuana, six prescription bottles of what was thought to be liquid codeine and three firearms in the bags, CNN reports. Juice had arrived on a private plane with others, and were found with two carts stacked with luggage. None of the passengers said any of the luggage was theirs. The rapper was taken to a hospital, where he died.
Juice, who lived in the Chicago suburb of Homewood, was named the top artist on SoundCloud in 2018, per BuzzFeed. Among the artists who paid tribute to the rapper after his death was Sting, per CNN, who called him "a unique and precious talent." Sting said Juice's "Lucid Dreams" is his favorite reworking of his own "Shape of My Heart." (Read more drug overdose stories.)