Matt Cassel stepped in to lead the Tom Bradyless New England Patriots today, as Peyton Manning sparked a late Indianapolis Colts rally and Eli Manning showed why the New York Giants are champs:
- Tom who? In his first start since high school, Matt Cassel led the Patriots to a 19-10 victory over Brett Favre's New York Jets. Cassel went 16 for 23 for 165 yards but didn't toss a touchdown, the AP reports.
- Peyton Manning narrowly avoided his first 0-2 start since his rookie season 10 years ago, rallying the Colts from a 15-0 deficit in the third quarter to beat the Minnesota Vikings 18-15, USA Today reports.
- Eli Manning threw three TDs and the Giants harassed St. Louis Rams QB Marc Bulger with 5 sacks in a 41-13 win. It was the Giants' 12th straight road victory.
- The Buffalo Bills are 2-0 after eking out a win against the Jacksonville Jaguars, 20-16. Bills QB Trent Edwards completed his first 10 attempts and sealed the win with a TD pass in the fourth quarter.
- The Carolina Panthers dominated the Chicago Bears in the second half, scoring the game's final 17 points to win 20-17. The win broke Carolina’s four-game losing streak at home openers.
- A 67-yard touchdown pass with 3:29 left put the Washington Redskins ahead for good in a 29-24 win over the New Orleans Saints.
- The Kansas City Chiefs gave up 300 rushing yards and went through three quarterbacks in a 23-8 loss to the Oakland Raiders.
(Read more Indianapolis Colts