Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Artists Being Paid Huge Sums
to Perform for Almost No One
May 14, 2022 5:05 PM CDT
Artists Being Paid Huge Sums to Perform for Almost No One
Inside the world of the uber-private concert
- You've likely heard of big-time artists getting hired to perform at corporate events or huge private parties. As David Browne writes in a lengthy piece for
, that's been happening for more than two decades. But Browne shines a light on the "far more shadowy parallel...
May 9, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Nick Cave Has Lost Another Son
Jethro Lazenby, 31, died days after he was released from jail in Melbourne
- A devastating, but sadly not unprecedented, tragedy for Nick Cave: Jethro Lazenby, the Australian singer's eldest son, has died at age 31. Seven years ago, Cave's 15-year-old son Arthur fell to his death from a cliff on England's south coast after taking LSD for the first time...
British Singer Hospitalized
After NYC Attack
Apr 22, 2022 10:36 AM CDT
British Singer Hospitalized After NYC Attack
Tom Grennan's manager says he was attacked outside a bar early Thursday
- "You lot are magic," chart-topping British singer Tom Grennan said after a concert in New York City this week, but the rest of his night went very badly. The 26-year-old's manager says the singer was attacked and robbed outside a bar in the early hours of Thursday,...
With Her Fans,
Doja Cat Says
Mar 25, 2022 3:35 PM CDT
After Clashing With Her Fans, Doja Cat Says She Quits
Singer posts resignation from music in angry exchange after show cancellation
- After a back-and-forth Thursday with fans on Twitter, Doja Cat announced in a post that she's quitting music. "I'm out. Y'all take care," the rapper posted. She then changed her Twitter name to "i quit," the AV Club reports. The singer and fans...
Universal Picks Up Another
Huge Music Catalog
Feb 28, 2022 10:30 AM CST
Universal Picks Up Another Huge Music Catalog
Music group just bought the rights to Neil Diamond's song collection, including 'Sweet Caroline'
- Universal Music Group has been on a shopping spree. First it scooped up the rights to Bob Dylan's lyrics and compositions , then Sting's song catalog , and now it's got a new acquisition to brag about. The music corporation has purchased the rights to Neil Diamond's entire...
to Catch COVID
on Purpose Kills Her
Jan 19, 2022 11:52 AM CST
Singer's Decision to Catch COVID on Purpose Kills Her
Hana Horka died Sunday at the age of 57
- A 57-year-old singer in the Czech Republic has died of COVID, and the story is getting international press thanks to one detail: the admission that Hana Horka contracted COVID intentionally. The BBC reports Horka was unvaccinated. Her husband and son were fully vaccinated but both tested positive for COVID over...
Heidi Klum Teams Up With
Snoop Dogg on New Song
Jan 19, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Heidi Klum Teams Up With Snoop Dogg on New Song
'This is like [the] dream of all dreams for me,' says supermodel
- Heidi Klum has traveled the world, stunned on runways and magazine covers, appeared in movies and TV shows, hosted and produced TV shows of her own, and won an Emmy. But the supermodel and businesswoman has apparently only just achieved her topmost goal: making a song with Snoop Dogg. The...
Britney Talks Losing Faith in
God, 'Awful Things' Done to Her
Dec 28, 2021 11:50 AM CST
Britney Talks Losing Faith in God, 'Awful Things' Done to Her
40-year-old star says conservatorship experience made her 'scared' of music industry
- Britney Spears is thrilled that her longtime conservatorship is finally coming to a close , but that doesn't mean it hasn't left deep scars. On Monday, the 40-year-old singer posted what the
calls a "lengthy note" on Instagram that shares her feelings of late, especially regarding why...
May Be Latest
Victim of Femicide
Dec 17, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Mexican Singer May Be Latest Victim of Femicide
Tania Mendoza shot dead Tuesday at son's soccer practice
- A Mexican singer and actress was fatally shot Tuesday evening while waiting to pick up her 11-year-old son from soccer practice. Tania Mendoza was waiting with other parents outside a sporting complex in Cuernavaca, Morelos state, when two armed men arrived on a motorbike, per the BBC . One stepped off...
Nov 26, 2021 9:23 AM CST
'80s Sensation Tiffany 'Horrified' Over Her Florida Show
'F--- you, guys,' Tiffany told the Fla. crowd while singing 'I Think We're Alone Now'
If you were somewhat horrified by the video of '80s pop sensation Tiffany swearing at fans in Florida earlier this month, you weren't alone. Tiffany herself has been "horrified for the last couple of days," the singer said in a video posted to Twitter on...
in 48 Hours
Nov 19, 2021 12:07 PM CST
Fans Send Millionaire Artist $448K in 48 Hours
Afrobeats artist Davido of Nigeria apparently wanted to get his luxury car out of port
- Nigerian-American Afrobeats star Davido is a multimillionaire, notes the
. But that didn't keep him from asking fans for donations this week. And they jumped at the opportunity to help "one of the biggest African stars in the world," per the BBC . The singer with 31.6...
He Calls 'a
Oct 26, 2021 8:12 AM CDT
Paul McCartney Nixes Practice He Calls 'a Bit Strange'
Ex-Beatle will no longer be signing autographs for fans
- Nearly 15 years ago, Ringo Starr "put his foot" down, and his pen, and informed fans he wouldn't be signing autographs anymore. Now, the only other surviving Beatle has jumped aboard the same no-autographs train. The AV Club reports on a new Paul McCartney interview with
Adele Is Back and 'Still Sublime'
Oct 15, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
Adele Is Back and 'Still Sublime'
Single 'Easy On Me' focuses on forgiveness after heartbreak
- Adele has suggested her upcoming album and first release since 2015 is an attempt to explain her divorce from Simon Konecki to her 9-year-old son. "I was just going through the motions and I wasn't happy," the 33-year-old singer told
for November's cover story. "...
After Set Is Cut
Short, a 3-Word
Oct 12, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
After Set Is Cut Short, a 3-Word Tweet From Phoebe Bridgers
Expletive-laden post came after singer's sound was cut during Austin City Limits music fest
- If you're wondering how Phoebe Bridgers' performance went over the weekend at the Austin City Limits music fest, her three-word tweet shortly afterward sheds some light. "lol f--- acl," the 27-year-old singer-songwriter said in a since-deleted post, per Pitchfork . The tweet was sent about 17 minutes after...
Queens of the
Stone Age Rocker
Gets Bad News
From His Kids
Sep 10, 2021 12:51 PM CDT
Queens of the Stone Age Rocker Gets Bad News From His Kids
Restraining order against Josh Homme for domestic violence filed in name of his 2 young sons
- The frontman for rock group Queens of the Stone Age is being accused of domestic violence, and a filing for a restraining order on behalf of his two young sons has been submitted. Per legal documents seen by TMZ , the request for a protective order against 48-year-old Josh Homme was...
Aug 24, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Reba Offers Unusual COVID Update
Country star clarifies that she never had the virus after all
- Reba McEntire gave her fans a surprise COVID update on Monday—turns out, she didn't have the virus after all. The 66-year-old, who announced earlier this month that she and her boyfriend had contracted COVID despite being vaccinated, apparently received a false positive on a test, reports Page Six...
Tony Bennett's Son
Delivers Disappointing News
Aug 13, 2021 10:32 AM CDT
Tony Bennett's Son Delivers Disappointing News
Danny Bennett says 95-year-old crooner is under 'doctor's orders' to retire from performing on stage
- Tony Bennett just turned 95—time to take a load off. That's the basic recommendation the classics crooner has received, "doctor's orders," per his son, who broke the news Thursday to
that Bennett is canceling all of his fall tour dates and retiring from live...
Aug 11, 2021 9:01 AM CDT
Stevie Nicks Makes a 'Challenging' COVID Decision
73-year-old singer cancels her 5 music festival performances in 2021 due to coronavirus
- Stevie Nicks has canceled five forthcoming performances at music festivals, citing coronavirus concerns, she said in a statement Tuesday. Nicks had been scheduled to headline one day each of BottleRock Napa Valley in California and the Jazz Aspen fest in Colorado in September, per the AP . In October, she was...
Prosecutors Begin Unusual
Strategy Against R. Kelly
Aug 9, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Prosecutors Begin Unusual Strategy Against R. Kelly
Singer is charged under RICO Act, more typically used for Mafia leaders
- Robert Sylvester Kelly goes on trial Monday in Brooklyn, accused of running a criminal enterprise. The 54-year-old is better known, of course, as R&B singer R. Kelly , and he's accused among other things of systematically recruiting underage girls for sex over the course of his long career. What'...
This Viral Song Is So Bad
It Might Be Genius
Jul 30, 2021 12:56 PM CDT
This Viral Song Is So Bad It Might Be Genius
Please explain what Sarah Brand's 'Red Dress' is, exactly, because we can't
- It's Friday, so what better time to talk about the video that's sent the internet (and our eardrums) into a tizzy. The viral clip in question is "Red Dress" by Sarah Brand, who describes herself on her site as a "director and writer" from LA, as...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
Bette Midler's Advice on the Formula Shortage Goes Over Poorly
Ukraine War Apparently Not Going Russia's Way
Liz Cheney Unloads on House Leaders After Shooting
Ted Cruz Scores a Victory Before the Supreme Court
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.