Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jail Time 'Not Appropriate' for
Rapist Who Assaulted 4 Teens
Nov 19, 2021 11:42 AM CST
Jail Time 'Not Appropriate' for Rapist Who Assaulted 4 Teens
Western New York judge stuns victims with 8 years of probation for Christopher Belter, 20
- Christopher Belter was facing eight years behind bars after pleading guilty in 2019 to rape and sexual abuse involving four teen girls at his family's mansion in Western New York. Instead, a Niagara County judge this week gave the 20-year-old eight years of probation, stunning everyone in the courtroom,...
She Gave the OK for Steel Used
in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Nov 9, 2021 7:37 AM CST
She Gave the OK for Steel Used in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Retired metallurgist Elaine Thomas, 67, admits she falsified foundry's test reports on steel strength
- For about four decades, Elaine Thomas worked as a metallurgist for a steel foundry in Washington state, churning out steel castings used by Navy contractors to make submarine hulls. And for about 30 of those years, prosecutors now say, Thomas falsified results from tests designed to test the steel's...
Nikolas Cruz Admits Anxiety as
He Pleads Guilty to Massacre
Oct 20, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Nikolas Cruz Admits Anxiety as He Pleads Guilty to Massacre
Parkland shooter admits to 17 counts of murder, 17 of attempted murder
- Nikolas Cruz pleaded guilty to murder on Wednesday in the 2018 high school massacre in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 dead. Cruz, 23, entered his plea after answering a long list of questions from Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer aimed at confirming his mental competency. Local 10 reports he did tell...
Dual Guilty Pleas in
Play for Parkland Suspect
Oct 15, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Dual Guilty Pleas in Play for Parkland Suspect
Nikolas Cruz admits to assaulting jail guard, will enter plea Wednesday for 2018 school massacre
- The suspect accused of carrying out the 2018 mass shooting at a Parkland, Fla., high school that killed 14 students and three staff members and injured 17 others will be entering a guilty plea in that case next week, his lawyer announced Friday. CNN reports that Broward County Circuit Judge...
D-List Actor Pleads Guilty
in $690M Ponzi Scheme
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 9, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
D-List Actor Pleads Guilty in $690M Ponzi Scheme
Zachary Horwitz faces 20 years for scheme that ensnared his college buddies
An actor accused in a $690 million Ponzi scheme will face up to 20 years in prison after pleading guilty to one count of securities fraud on Monday. Zachary Horwitz of 1inMM Capital allegedly used fake licensing agreements to fool investors, including his college buddies, into putting up money...
Sep 11, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Nicki Minaj's Husband Pleads Guilty
Kenneth Petty admits he failed to register as sex offender after move to Calif., could go back to jail
- Nicki Minaj hasn't given a reason for why she pulled out of her performance at Sunday night's MTV Video Music Awards, simply noting , "I'll explain why another day," but a recent development regarding her spouse may offer a clue. The
New York Post
Man Stops His
With Guilty Plea
Aug 25, 2021 5:02 PM CDT
Man Stops His Murder Trial With Guilty Plea
Glen McCurley admits killing teen in 1974
- A man stopped his capital murder trial Tuesday with a guilty plea to the 1974 killing of a 17-year-old Texas girl. Glen McCurley, 78, of Fort Worth, was immediately sentenced to life imprisonment for the abduction, torture, rape, and killing of Carla Walker. Prosecutors had said they would not seek...
Millionaire's Plot to Kidnap Wife
Ends With 2 Drownings
in case you missed it
Aug 1, 2021 12:30 PM CDT
Millionaire's Plot to Kidnap Wife Ends With 2 Drownings
Pair of men hired to kidnap woman jumped into canal during police chase
- A Louisiana millionaire is facing up to 35 years in prison after plotting to kidnap his estranged wife at gunpoint. Lawrence Handley's plan did not go at all as he expected. After the two men he hired to kidnap his wife from the couples' south Lafayette home handcuffed her,...
Police Chief Saved Baby From
Drowning, Then Beat Her Dad
Jul 29, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
Police Chief Saved Baby From Drowning, Then Beat Her Dad
Greg Hallgrimson pleads guilty to assaulting suspect accused of trying to kill infant
- A former suburban Kansas City police chief was credited with saving the life of a 6-month-old girl after her father walked into his police station in December 2018, allegedly announcing that he'd just drowned the infant in an icy pond . Greg Hallgrimson and another Greenwood, Mo., police officer raced...
Guy Who Dangled From Senate
Balcony Takes Plea Deal
Jul 15, 2021 2:17 PM CDT
Guy Who Dangled From Senate Balcony Takes Plea Deal
Josiah Colt will cooperate with prosecutors
- A man photographed dangling from the Senate balcony and sitting in the presiding officer's chair during the Jan. 6 Capitol attack has pleaded guilty to felony obstruction of Congress in a deal that will see him cooperate with prosecutors. (You can see the photo from Getty via the
of First Sentencing
Jun 22, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Capitol Rioter Apologizes Ahead of First Sentencing
Indiana's Anna Morgan-Lloyd says she's learned from 'Schindler's List'
- An Indiana woman, expected Wednesday to be the first of more than 400 people charged in the Capitol attack to be sentenced, has agreed to plead guilty to a single federal charge, saying movies and books have showed her what life is like for nonwhite people. In a letter to...
Ex-State Trooper Pleads Guilty
After 'Reprehensible' Texts
Jun 10, 2021 9:50 AM CDT
Ex-State Trooper Pleads Guilty After 'Reprehensible' Texts
Albert Kuehne admits he texted nude images of drunk driving suspect from her phone to himself
- The driver of a crashed vehicle had just been detained on suspicion of drunk driving when a Minnesota state trooper asked the woman to hand over her cellphone. While the 25-year-old was checked out by paramedics, the trooper scrolled through nude photos of the woman stored on the phone, three...
Pleads Guilty in
Death of Uber
Jun 4, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
13-Year-Old Pleads Guilty in Death of Uber Eats Driver
Cops: DC carjacking by teen, 15-year-old accomplice led to crash that killed 66-year-old Mohammad Anwar
- A 13-year-old girl has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the DC death of an Uber Eats driver who was killed during a carjacking in the spring. NBC Washington reports that the teen's accomplice, a 15-year-old girl, pleaded guilty last month to felony murder after the March 23 incident...
Move by Joel Greenberg an
'Ominous Sign' for Matt Gaetz
May 15, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Move by Joel Greenberg an 'Ominous Sign' for Matt Gaetz
Former associate of Fla. congressman agrees to plead guilty to sex trafficking, including of a minor
- The potential bad news that's been looming over Matt Gaetz just got worse. The
New York Times
reports that Joel Greenberg, a former tax collector and associate of the Florida congressman, has agreed to plead guilty to sex trafficking, including of a 17-year-old girl, and to cooperate with the...
100 Days After Capitol Riot,
a First Among Defendants
Apr 16, 2021 1:12 PM CDT
100 Days After Capitol Riot, a First Among Defendants
Oath Keepers 'lifetime member' pleads guilty, will cooperate with government in probe
- A guitarist for a heavy-metal band who was caught on camera dousing Capitol Police with chemical spray during the Jan. 6 riot just earned a big asterisk, 100 days after the attack: He's the first person to enter a guilty plea for two felony charges and agree to work...
YouTubers' Prank Almost
Killed a Guy. Now, Guilty Pleas
Apr 1, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
YouTubers' Prank Almost Killed a Guy. Now, Guilty Pleas
Alan and Alex Stokes escape jail, get community service and probation
- Twin YouTube stars who were facing up to five years behind bars for a pair of bank robbery pranks have managed to avoid prison with guilty pleas. Against the objections of prosecutors, a California judge agreed to reduce the felony false imprisonment charge to a misdemeanor if Alan and Alex...
Wife of Pharmacist
Accused of Vax
Sabotage: I Feared
for Our Kids
Jan 27, 2021 6:56 AM CST
Wife of Pharmacist Accused of Vax Sabotage: I Feared for Our Kids
Steven Brandenburg will plead guilty to federal charges after leaving 57 vaccine vials out of fridge
- A Wisconsin pharmacist and admitted conspiracy theorist has agreed to plead guilty to federal charges after being accused of purposely trying to ruin hundreds of doses of COVID-19 vaccine. Steven Brandenburg confessed he'd intentionally, on two consecutive overnight shifts in late December, taken 57 vials of the vaccine—enough...
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in
National Park Isn't Ending Well
Jan 6, 2021 7:24 AM CST
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in National Park Isn't Ending Well
Rodrick Dow Craythorn pleads guilty to digging up Yellowstone cemetery for Forrest Fenn prize
- A man accused of digging up a Yellowstone National Park cemetery in his search for a famous buried treasure has admitted to his crimes. The
New York Times
reports that, nearly four months after he was indicted by a federal grand jury, 52-year-old Rodrick Dow Craythorn of Utah entered a...
Japan's 'Twitter Killer'
on Charges: 'All Correct'
Oct 1, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Japan's 'Twitter Killer' on Charges: 'All Correct'
Takahiro Shiraishi, who pleaded guilty, could face death penalty
- He allegedly killed and dismembered nine victims, mostly young women, and in court on Wednesday, Takahiro Shiraishi put all doubts about the accusations to rest. "All correct," the 29-year-old defendant known as the "Twitter Killer" said, confirming the murder counts against him during his guilty plea in...
She Was Killed by a Falling
Log. Now, a Guilty Plea
Oct 1, 2020 8:45 AM CDT
She Was Killed by a Falling Log. Now, a Guilty Plea
Jordan Buckley, 17, admits to involuntary manslaughter in death of 44-year-old photographer
- A 17-year-old who pushed a log off a cliff at an Ohio park over Labor Day weekend last year, killing a mom of four, has pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter. Jordan Buckley, who'd originally faced murder and reckless homicide charges, put in his plea last Friday regarding the death...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
FBI: Images Show Dark Truth About Renowned Collector
Climber Found Box of Gems on Mont Blanc in 2013. Now, a Windfall
She Feared Her Partner Would Kill Her. Death Came Differently
Guy Who Helped Shooting Suspect's Parents Identifies Self
CEO's 'Cold' Zoom Call: 'I Come to You With Not Great News'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.