Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Despite Lies, Man
Actor Gets Light Sentence
Dec 1, 2022 12:27 AM CST
Despite Lies, Man Who Killed
Actor Gets Light Sentence
Brian Boyd struck Lisa Banes on a New York street
- The man who hit
actor Lisa Banes with his moped on a New York street, killing her, was on Wednesday sentenced to one to three years behind bars, the
New York Daily News
reports. Brian Boyd had pleaded guilty to manslaughter in September, but prosecutors said that after...
Buffalo Gunman Admits
Nov 28, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Buffalo Gunman Admits Supermarket Massacre
He pleads guilty for life in prison, faces possible death sentence on federal charges
- The white gunman who massacred 10 Black shoppers and workers at a Buffalo supermarket pleaded guilty Monday to murder and hate-motivated terrorism charges, guaranteeing that he'll spend the rest of his life in prison, per the AP . Payton Gendron, 19, entered the plea Monday in a courthouse roughly 2...
Ex-Officer Pleads Guilty
in George Floyd Killing
Oct 24, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
Ex-Officer Pleads Guilty in George Floyd Killing
Former Minneapolis cop J. Alexander Kueng admits aiding and abetting charge
- A former Minneapolis police officer pleaded guilty Monday to aiding and abetting second-degree manslaughter in the killing of George Floyd, just as jury selection was about to begin, per the AP . Another former officer waived his right to a jury trial, setting up an unusual proceeding in which the judge...
Michigan School Shooter
Admits What He Did
Oct 24, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Michigan School Shooter Admits What He Did
Ethan Crumbley pleads guilty, faces life in prison
- A teenager pleaded guilty Monday to terrorism and first-degree murder in a Michigan school shooting that killed four students and put an extraordinary focus on the boy's home life and the alleged role of his parents in the tragedy, per the AP . Ethan Crumbley pleaded guilty to all 24...
American Driver Admits
Role in UK Teen's Death
Oct 20, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
American Driver Admits Role in UK Teen's Death
Anne Sacoolas pleads guilty from the US, is unlikely to spend any time behind bars
- Anne Sacoolas, the wife of a US diplomat, has admitted to causing the death of teen motorcyclist Harry Dunn while driving on the wrong side of the road in the UK in 2019. Dunn's parents fought to have Sacoolas returned to the UK to face justice after she fled...
Cardi B Pleads Guilty
in Strip Club Fights
Sep 15, 2022 6:00 PM CDT
Cardi B Pleads Guilty in Strip Club Fights
Deal calls for 15 days of community service
- Grammy-winning rapper Cardi B resolved a yearslong criminal case stemming from a pair of brawls at New York City strip clubs by pleading guilty Thursday in a deal that requires her to perform 15 days of community service. The 29-year-old "WAP" singer agreed to a conditional discharge just as...
Trump's Former Money Guy
Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
Aug 18, 2022 10:42 AM CDT
Trump's Former Money Guy Pleads Guilty, Heads to Prison
Allen Weisselberg, 75, also may have to testify about Trump Organization
- A top executive at former President Trump's family business pleaded guilty Thursday to evading taxes in a deal that could potentially make him a star witness against the company at a fall trial, per the AP . Former Trump Organization CFO Allen Weisselberg pleaded guilty to all 15 of the...
Griner Pleads Guilty,
Says She Packed in a Rush
Jul 7, 2022 9:27 AM CDT
Griner Pleads Guilty, Says She Packed in a Rush
WNBA star admits to drug charges in Russian court
- Russian news agencies say jailed American basketball star Brittney Griner has pleaded guilty to drug possession and smuggling charges during her trial in Moscow, per the AP . Griner, speaking through an interpreter, told the court she'd acted unintentionally because she was packing in haste. Griner was detained in February...
Man Pleads Guilty in Murder
of Indianapolis Mail Carrier
Jul 7, 2022 8:27 AM CDT
Man Pleads Guilty in Murder of Indianapolis Mail Carrier
Angela Summers was gunned down in 2020 after Tony Cushingberry got upset over no mail delivery
It's a guilty plea for Tony Cushingberry, accused of fatally gunning down an Indianapolis mail carrier in 2020. NBC News reports the 23-year-old pleaded guilty to second-degree murder on Tuesday, per the US Attorney's Office for Southern Indiana. Court documents note that mail wasn't being delivered...
Former Colleagues' Move Could
Be Bad News for Kim Dotcom
Jun 22, 2022 9:05 AM CDT
Former Colleagues' Move Could Be Bad News for Kim Dotcom
Megaupload pair pleaded guilty, may now testify against him
- It's been several years since we reported on Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom and his battle against extradition to the US, but now, an update. Two of Dotcom's former colleagues have struck a deal to avoid extradition themselves, pleading guilty Wednesday in New Zealand to their involvement in running...
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop
in George Floyd Case
May 18, 2022 11:49 AM CDT
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
Thomas Lane will serve 3 years concurrently with his federal sentence
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer Thomas Lane will avoid trial next month thanks to a guilty plea issued Wednesday in connection with George Floyd's May 25, 2020, death. The
reports Lane pleaded guilty to a state charge of aiding and abetting manslaughter and will be handed a three-year sentence....
They Were Sent
Wreath. Now, a
Final Guilty Plea
May 13, 2022 7:47 AM CDT
They Were Sent Roaches, Funeral Wreath. Now, a Final Guilty Plea
Former eBay exec David Harville admits to harassing couple who published newsletter
- A former eBay executive pleaded guilty Thursday to participating in a scheme to terrorize the creators of an online newsletter. David Harville, eBay's former director of global resiliency, is the final onetime eBay employee charged in the case to plead guilty, per the AP . Six others have admitted to...
He Flew for 2 Years
Then, the Press of
a Wrong Button
in case you missed it
Apr 9, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
He Flew for 2 Years Unsuspected. Then, the Press of a Wrong Button
British Airways pilot Craig Butfoy jailed after faking flying experience
- Who knows how things would've worked out for Craig Butfoy, and the passengers on the planes he piloted, if he simply hadn't pressed a wrong button one day at work. That button press, as it turns out, led to questions being asked, and then a startling revelation: The...
Engineer Pleaded Guilty in Spy
Case. Now, His Wife's Plea
Feb 19, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Engineer Pleaded Guilty in Spy Case. Now, His Wife's Plea
Diana Toebbe enters guilty plea days after Jonathan Toebbe in plot to sell sub secrets
- A Maryland woman pleaded guilty Friday to her role in a plot with her husband to sell submarine secrets to a foreign country. Diana Toebbe entered the plea in federal court in Martinsburg to one count of conspiracy to communicate restricted data. Prosecutors said they'd seek a prison term...
Navy Nukes Engineer on
Spying: 'Guilty, Your Honor'
Feb 15, 2022 7:43 AM CST
Navy Nukes Engineer on Spying: 'Guilty, Your Honor'
Jonathan Toebbe, accused of conspiring to sell sub secrets with wife, will likely see at least 12 years
Jonathan Toebbe, the Navy engineer accused with his wife of conspiring to sell secrets about nuclear propulsion systems on US subs to an unidentified foreign country, entered a new plea on Monday in a West Virginia federal court. "Guilty, your honor," the 43-year-old told Magistrate Judge Robert...
'Make-a-Wish' Mom Enters
Plea in Daughter's Death
Jan 5, 2022 9:45 AM CST
'Make-a-Wish' Mom Enters Plea in Daughter's Death
Colorado's Kelly Turner pleads guilty, could see 16 years for lying about 7-year-old's terminal illness
A Colorado mother has pleaded guilty to child abuse and negligently causing her daughter's death in a case that made national headlines, reports the
. Prosecutors say Kelly Turner lied about her daughter being terminally ill, which led to years of unneeded and life-threatening medical treatments for...
Chauvin to Judge:
'Guilty, Your Honor'
Dec 15, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Chauvin to Judge: 'Guilty, Your Honor'
Former Minnesota cop pleads guilty to violating George Floyd's civil rights
Derek Chauvin pleaded guilty Wednesday to federal charges of violating George Floyd’s civil rights, averting a trial but likely extending the time he's already spending behind bars on a state conviction. Chauvin appeared in person Wednesday for the change of plea hearing in an orange short-sleeved prison...
Jail Time 'Not Appropriate' for
Rapist Who Assaulted 4 Teens
Nov 19, 2021 11:42 AM CST
Jail Time 'Not Appropriate' for Rapist Who Assaulted 4 Teens
Western New York judge stuns victims with 8 years of probation for Christopher Belter, 20
- Christopher Belter was facing eight years behind bars after pleading guilty in 2019 to rape and sexual abuse involving four teen girls at his family's mansion in Western New York. Instead, a Niagara County judge this week gave the 20-year-old eight years of probation, stunning everyone in the courtroom,...
She Gave the OK for Steel Used
in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Nov 9, 2021 7:37 AM CST
She Gave the OK for Steel Used in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Retired metallurgist Elaine Thomas, 67, admits she falsified foundry's test reports on steel strength
- For about four decades, Elaine Thomas worked as a metallurgist for a steel foundry in Washington state, churning out steel castings used by Navy contractors to make submarine hulls. And for about 30 of those years, prosecutors now say, Thomas falsified results from tests designed to test the steel's...
Nikolas Cruz Admits Anxiety as
He Pleads Guilty to Massacre
Oct 20, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Nikolas Cruz Admits Anxiety as He Pleads Guilty to Massacre
Parkland shooter admits to 17 counts of murder, 17 of attempted murder
- Nikolas Cruz pleaded guilty to murder on Wednesday in the 2018 high school massacre in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 dead. Cruz, 23, entered his plea after answering a long list of questions from Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer aimed at confirming his mental competency. Local 10 reports he did tell...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
Some Think Twice About Wearing a Wetsuit in SF
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.