They may not be getting as much press as the "Wrong Picture" howler, but this year's Oscars had the traditional assortment of dazzling looks on the red carpet—and a few big misses along with the hits. Here are some of the most-talked about looks:
- Emma Stone. The La La Land star is topping a lot of best-dressed lists thanks to her gold Givenchy Haute Couture gown, one of many that harked back to the styles of the Roaring Twenties.
- Janelle Monae. She had what Entertainment Tonight deems the most head-turning look of the night with an elaborate black-and-white Eli Saab gown. Mic likens the look to "Cinderella for the 22nd century."
- Mahershala Ali. His black-on-black Ermenegildo Zegna Couture tuxedo earned him a spot on GQ's list of the best-dressed men.
- Viola Davis. Her Armani Prive gown was another big hit, with Jezebel praising the "primary colors, classic cuts, and subtle slaying."
- Taraji Henson. Onlookers swooned at her leg-baring blue velvet Alberta Ferretti number, with New York magazine declaring it the most va-va-voom of the night.
- Dakota Johnson. Her gold Gucci gown featured in many worst-dressed lists, with the Los Angeles Times quipping that dressing like the actual Oscar award "was not a winning move."
- Karlie Kloss. One of several stars who chose stunning all-white looks, her Stella McCartney gown gave Vanity Fair a "major Gwyneth Paltrow Tom Ford Oscar Dress flashback."
- Ruth Negga. She got high scores on many best-dressed lists with what Us Magazine describes as a "ravishing" gown from Valentino.
- Ryan Gosling. He may have been going for the look of an earlier time, but he made it onto ET's worst-dressed list with what they saw as an ''80s prom tux."
- Leslie Mann. Hollywood Life describes her neon green Zac Rosen gown as "Belle’s dress from Beauty and the Beast gone wrong," and it was one of the night's least popular looks.
- Cynthia Erivo. Her patterned Paolo Sebastian number split the critics. At PennLive, it reminded them "of wallpaper, but that wasn't an entirely bad thing."
Can't get enough? Check out these photos of 11 "adorable" celebrity couples at the Oscars
. (Read more Oscars