Conor McGregor has been charged with assault and mischief over what Ultimate Fighting Championship president Dana White says was the "most disgusting thing that has ever happened" in the organization's history. The mixed martial arts fighter turned himself in to police in New York City on Thursday night, hours after he caused mayhem at a UFC press event in Brooklyn, reports Reuters. The Irish fighter, who turned up unannounced with his entourage, was caught on video attacking a bus carrying other fighters, as well as throwing a hand truck and other objects. UFC says three fights on Saturday's UFC 223 card have now been canceled, including one involving Michael Chiesa, who was injured by flying glass, the AP reports.
Earlier in the week, White stripped McGregor, 29, of the 155lb championship belt he never defended. "You's'll strip me of nothing," McGregor, who hasn't fought in the UFC since Nov. 2016, responded in a profane tweet. But it's not clear whether the chaos at the press event was caused by McGregor losing his belt or by his feud with Khabib Nurmagomedov, who was due to fight for the belt Saturday, the Washington Post reports. Before McGregor surrendered to police, White warned there was a warrant out for his arrest. "They're looking for him right now. His plane cannot take off. He cannot leave the state of New York with this warrant," he told reporters. "You can imagine he's gonna be sued beyond belief, and this was a real bad career move for him." (Read more Conor McGregor stories.)