Harvey Weinstein Story Will Be a Horror Film

Brian De Palma has project in the works
By Neal Colgrass,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 2, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Harvey Weinstein, right, appears at his arraignment with his lawyer Benjamin Brafman, in Manhattan Criminal Court on Friday, May 25, 2018 in New York. Weinstein is charged with two counts of rape and...   (Jefferson Siegel/New York Daily News via AP, Pool)

(Newser) – Brian De Palma is turning his filmmaking eye on the life of Harvey Weinstein—and yes, it will be a horror film. "I'm writing a film about this scandal, a project I’m talking about with a French producer," the director of off-kilter Hollywood classics like Carrie, Dressed to Kill, and Body Double tells Le Parisien, via The Playlist. "My character won't be named Harvey Weinstein but it will be a horror film, with a sexual aggressor, and it will take place in the film industry." De Palma says he knows "a lot of the people involved" in the Weinstein story, having "heard stories over the years," per the BBC.

The 77-year-old adds that directors must "get actors' confidence and their love" and says "to violate it on any level is just to me the worst thing you can do, just because of your gluttony or your lust." (De Palma isn't the only creative voice turning to the Weinstein story: David Mamet has written a play called "Bitter Wheat," IndieWire reported earlier this year.) De Palma also says that in the #MeToo era, women will acquire more film-industry power and possibly change our cinematic landscape. "It will be interesting to see when women start controlling the aesthetic, what is going to happen," he says. "It would be interesting to see if their gaze is so much different than ours. Because a lot of movies are about the male gaze, what the male sees." (Read more Harvey Weinstein stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
9%
20%
5%
14%
0%
52%